Pro Wrestling Only

Daniel Bryan has been medically cleared to return to the ring...

Edwin

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Such a weird way to announce it. Surely you do a hot angle on Smackdown and go off the air announcing his match for Mania, not announcing it via a press release where that initial reaction isnt recorded.

I disagree, only way they get people like me to watch Smackdown is if they announce his clearance before hand.

I would think part of the deal to clear him would be to have him resign with the company long term. No way they want to heat him up as a wrestler again only to have him go elsewhere anytime soon.

Would Bryan sign a deal knowing that WWE can go back to not clearing him whenever? I'd guess WWE would want a clause were they can't get sued if something happens to him but I'd also imagine D-Bry would want SOME kind of assurance that if he's cleared by doctors then Maroon can't give him a no just because.

My gut reaction is this wouldn't be happening if NJPW wasn't drawing big houses in the U.S.

Winner winner chicken dinner, and they don't want NJPW's houses to get any bigger with the addition of Danielson to the card.

My immediate reaction was to google if the CTE lawsuit had been dropped so they now needed to stop pretending to have concern for the wrestlers long term health.

I don't see any conceivable circumstance where Daniel Bryan would decimate Brock Lensar in a comapny where Vince has final say. Even if it's a deal where Brock's on the way out I don't see them doing anything but the usual "big guy dominates and gets cocky/slips on a banana peel and the little guy sneaks a pin" deal.

I know Lesnar is a beast and a legimate bad ass no one would want to mess with but I think if done right someone who looks like a shoot fighter to kick his ass could be pulled off as believable.

The only reason he was put on ice as a perfomer was due to his inability to deny he had a seizure years ago. With all the treatments he's done the last few years his brain is probably in better shape than most of the roster anyway.

Yes, He's been doing holistic treatments as well as the hyperbaric treatments , man the brain can regenerate an on top of that the rest of his body got alot of rest he wouldn't have gotten otherwise an he's gotten a chance to sit back and find ways to work smarter.

I don't see any conceivable circumstance where Daniel Bryan would decimate Brock Lensar in a comapny where Vince has final say. Even if it's a deal where Brock's on the way out I don't see them doing anything but the usual "big guy dominates and gets cocky/slips on a banana peel and the little guy sneaks a pin" deal.

I know Lesnar is a beast and a legimate bad ass no one would want to mess with but I think if done right someone who looks like a shoot fighter to kick his ass could be pulled off as believable.

That's not Bryan Danielson.

So, if I'm reading between the lines of this article. Dr. Davies might suggest that WWE only cleared Bryan to wrestle again to make sure that he wouldn't do the same elsewhere when his contract is scheduled to expire in September.

And given that Joseph Maroon pretty much was the only doctor who refused to clear Bryan until this week, what is Dr. Davies' gripe with him? Especially considering the backlash that WWE could suffer if something serious happens again to Bryan? They've been so hellbent on keeping Bryan away from the ring in the past 2 years to avoid that; why would they do something stupid if Bryan still wasn't apt to perform?

So, if I'm reading between the lines of this article. Dr. Davies might suggest that WWE only cleared Bryan to wrestle again to make sure that he wouldn't do the same elsewhere when his contract is scheduled to expire in September.

If that is true then once he signs a new contract for several years WWE could just turn round and say no you cant wrestle we ve changed our mind and Bryan would be stuck.

I would think part of the deal to clear him would be to have him resign with the company long term. No way they want to heat him up as a wrestler again only to have him go elsewhere anytime soon.

Would Bryan sign a deal knowing that WWE can go back to not clearing him whenever? I'd guess WWE would want a clause were they can't get sued if something happens to him but I'd also imagine D-Bry would want SOME kind of assurance that if he's cleared by doctors then Maroon can't give him a no just because.

I certainly hope Bryan put something in his contract to prevent them from shelving him for two years when he stubs a toe.

This really does feel like WWE being desperate not to lose one of the few guys who could make a difference.

A legit neuroscientist casts doubt on the credibility of the doctors Bryan saw and the procedures he went through.

http://slam.canoe.com/Slam/Wrestling/MatMatters/2018/03/20/22774755.html

Seems like Davies has little knowledge of Bryan's process, tests and doctors he's visited before these last two months and gotten clearance from.. He also admits he has no clue about the tests he's gotten.. He pretty much just read WWE's statement and wrote about his impression of the situation without knowing anything about it besides the press release. Weird article.

Hell, even Chris Nowinski said he was OK with the decision after reading Cantu cleared him.

I have no doubt that WWE's decision had more to do with other stuff besides Bryan's health, but to put into question so many doctors over the span of two years without showing any knowledge of what was done or what tests showed seems like a very lazy and kind of irresponsible - considering it was written by a doctor - point of view.

I know people think there were business reasons for clearing him, but I genuinely don't think that was a factor at all. I don't think it had anything to do with Wrestlemania, or his contract situation, or WWE not wanting him to work elsewhere. Of course those things are important, but too many doctors put their credibility on the line for this to be that. Bryan said all along if one doctor didn't clear him, he'd drop the issue. They all did.

If that is true then once he signs a new contract for several years WWE could just turn round and say no you cant wrestle we ve changed our mind and Bryan would be stuck.

Why would they do that though? It's not in their interests. And I think he'd have a strong legal case under those circumstances.

I'm with Loss on this one. I don't think there's a grand conspiracy. I believe they genuinely did not want a beloved guy to be debilitated on their watch. Though I do think business concerns might have added a little urgency to the timing of his reinstatement.

I know people think there were business reasons for clearing him, but I genuinely don't think that was a factor at all. I don't think it had anything to do with Wrestlemania, or his contract situation, or WWE not wanting him to work elsewhere. Of course those things are important, but too many doctors put their credibility on the line for this to be that. Bryan said all along if one doctor didn't clear him, he'd drop the issue. They all did.

I don't understand this part, for two years doctors from different places - some recommended by WWE - have cleared him and Maroon said no, he's the only one whose credibility has been put into question and the one who has a very fishy past when it comes to concussion issues. Eventually Bryan says fuck it and asks Maroon who else does he need approval from, he goes to each doc and once again gets cleared. Then Maroon finally gives the OK.

I'd agree with you if every wrestler with a concussion history would've had to go through the same troubles Bryan had but that hasn't been the case at all. Guys like Dreamer, Angle, Ziggler and Taker (and lord knows how many else) didn't go to several doctors, got cleared by them and still got a NO from Maroon. The fact that Bryan is the only one that has had to prove he's fine over and over and over again leads to believe there's more the story than WWE just being worried about him.

as part of the agreement of being cleared Bryan must undergo a concussion protocol test after every match he has

Makes sense. Shouldn't that be done with every wrestler though, ideally?

I also wonder if Bryan would be stubborn enough that if he gets another concussion, he once again goes to take tests from doctors, and once again they say to him he's fine. And it's the same story all over again.

The doctors who cleared Bryan outside of WWE were not only saying, "You're cleared", but were going above and beyond to make a strong case in his favor. One doctor was really disappointed when he retired in 2016 because he thought it was way too soon to say with certainty that he couldn't wrestle again. They weren't just saying "you're cleared" and letting him go.

As far as previous concussion history, it wasn't just the concussions. It was the seizures, the brain lesion, and their assumption that he probably had 20+ undocumented concussions before he even stepped foot in a WWE ring. If anyone else in WWE fit that bill, no way does WWE let them return either. Dreamer, Angle, and Undertaker aren't full-time performers and Ziggler's concussions came before Bryan's. He is the guinea pig and represents a new way of looking at all of this, and not even just in WWE but in sports. That's why he's being watched so closely.

One of the issues was that the test that discovered the lesion really had no standard to compare to as it was still experimental and another doctor told Bryan that "lesion" is a vague term and doesn't necessarily mean it's dangerous. All the other doctors prior had cleared him and it was only until the lesion test that WWE told him he needed to retire.