Pro Wrestling Only

Hulk Hogan returning to WWE

Strummer

At a time where they're taking so much flak for the Saudi deal, I don't see much upside in having Hogan back in the fold. What could they possibly do with him that couldn't be handled by the legends already under contract who don't have tapes of themselves saying racist shit?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was just mad because the guy's father was wealthier but at the same time said, "If we’re gonna fuck with niggers, let’s get a rich one!" ???

Not mad, he has deep psychological problems about control. But how can you be morally indignant about stuff you heard spying on a guy having sex?

If Paige had been fired after her phone was hacked, people would rightly think it was bullshit. But Hogan said something racist while his privacy was violated so it is okay?

It comes down to people having biases and thinking their should be double standards. If Hogan did not have a desperate need for attention, he should have told everyone to fuck off and become a recluse.

Dude don't be obtuse. People learned information spying on someone having sex and weaponized it. Unless he was planning on killing some people, that is immoral.

Also I do put some effort into using my words. Even if it might not seem that way. At least give me the same courtesy.

Not only does it not count, it's exactly the same as Paige having sex with her colleagues.

Don't tempt me. There have been enough debate about tasteless and offensive jokes on this board today already. :)

But yeah. What the fuck. Brain implodes indeed.

Wait. Hogan saying he doesn't want his daughter to marry a nigger doesn't count because it happened on a leeked sextape ? Really ? Well, people have made excuses before, but that one is hilarious.

I think spying on someone having sex is about as immoral as calling someone a nigger. So really what moral high ground do you have? How you got the information does count, sorry but it does.

Dude don't be obtuse. People learned information spying on someone having sex and weaponized it. Unless he was planning on killing some people, that is immoral.

Also I do put some effort into using my words. Even if it might not seem that way. At least give me the same courtesy.

It wouldn't have worked because everyone was fine with it when they forced Donald Sterling to sell his NBA team over illegally recorded conversations. So he would have been SOL even if he had gone that route I think.

I think spying on someone having sex is about as immoral as calling someone a nigger.

Well, no. Spewing racist shit betrays a particular vision of the world which Hulk Hogan, heroes of many, seems to have.

What you don't seem to get, or refuse to admit, is that the leeking of a sextape and the expression of a racist view of the world are two separate issues here. We're not in a court of law. There's no such things as "oh that piece if evidence can't be considered because of the way it was aquired".

Leeking Hogan's sextape : wrong.

Hogan using nigger : very wrong.

Too fucking bad for him it came out that way. Karma's a bitch apparently.

It wouldn't have worked because everyone was fine with it when they forced Donald Sterling to sell his NBA team over illegally recorded conversations. So he would have been SOL even if he had gone that route I think.

While I don't necessarily agree with how the Sterling tapes were acquired. He did have things on the public record against him. That the NBA did not seem bothered when he was hurting minorities from getting homes, they were fine.

He got a 100 million dollars out of it. I would have told the world and WWE to smell my ass.

I do wonder why you think using a racial slur in private is worse than violating someone's privacy.

So and just as a hypothetical so Fando does not try to craft another fake argument.

If Paige had said "nigger" while letting someone nut on company property on the video someone stole from her cell phone, it would have been cool to fire her?

Again Fando, this is hypothetical. So don't go crazy posting pics and making up arguments.

Hogan coming back. How they might use him. Why it might be a bad PR move for the company = prowrestlingonly

I'm not sure about weighing general morality of slights, however.

Maybe we ought to table this one for now and just wait and see what happens here?

Yes, if Paige said on tape, "If I have to fuck a nigger, he better at least be rich. Fucking niggers. I'm a racist" I don't see the company keeping her around and they would be justified from an HR/PR standpoint which is why your original comparison, where nothing like that happened at all, was dumb as fuck.

On Sterling

While I don't necessarily agree with how the Sterling tapes were acquired. He did have things on the public record against him. That the NBA did not seem bothered when he was hurting minorities from getting homes, they were fine.

Even outside just the NBA. He got a pass for like a decade on being a slumlord and discriminating against people for housing. Even when the tapes came out, people were more outraged that he said something racist than his repeated racist actions.

He got a 100 million dollars out of it. I would have told the world and WWE to smell my ass.

Cool. But don't complain when people treat "you" (as in Hogan) as a fucking racist.

I do wonder why you think using a racial slur in private is worse than violating someone's privacy.

Again, it's not a matter of balance between the two issues. These are separate issues.

The fact is, we have seen and heard Hulk Hogan say he wouldn't like his daughter to marry a nigger (and I repeat the sentence on purpose because it's not just a simple word, it's being used in a quite disturbing, extremely racist, way that doesn't need to be explained I think).

So, from there what ? Let's make some excuses because he was "the childhood hero of a generation" (and really, what a childhood hero… grow the fuck up people, my childhood hero was Inspector Gadget, I got over him some time ago) ?

Yes, if Paige said on tape, "If I have to fuck a nigger, he better at least be rich. Fucking niggers. I'm a racist" I don't see the company keeping her around and they would be justified from an HR/PR standpoint which is why your original comparison, where nothing like that happened at all, was dumb as fuck.

Out of deference of Matt, I am going to let this slide. I will only say you know what I meant originally. You know you had no counter so tried to play a shell game. I am being calm and not going at you like you deserve.

Even outside just the NBA. He got a pass for like a decade on being a slumlord and discriminating against people for housing. Even when the tapes came out, people were more outraged that he said something racist than his repeated racist actions.

Exactly, people don't care if someone is actively racist and hurts people. But if he says something racist, suddenly something is wrong, because Starburst might drop their sponsorship.

So, from there what ? Let's make some excuses because he was "the childhood hero of a generation" (and really, what a childhood hero… grow the fuck up people, my childhood hero was Inspector Gadget, I got over him some time ago) ?

You don't wanna know what he was into.

Out of deference of Matt, I am going to let this slide. I will only say you know what I meant originally. You know you had no counter so tried to play a shell game. I am being calm and not going at you like you deserve.

6987%20-%20Halloween_Havoc%20scott_hall%

You can whine that you're being misrepresented all you like. I genuinely have no idea what you think you were getting at by comparing Paige's leak, where she doesn't say anything racist that would directly offend and alienate her coworkers in addition to a massive portion of the company's fans and stockholders, and so had no real reason to be let go, and Hogan's case. Oh well.

Ok, everyone seems on the same page that what Hogan said was inexcusable. Firing him I do agree was a cheap and easy way out though. Hogan and WWE have overlapping legacies, and as far as public image goes, they sink or swim together. I don't think it was necessarily wrong to fire him, but waiting on it to blow over before bringing him back just makes it painfully clear that they don't give a shit about racial justice. They care about their public image and nothing more. Maybe even that wouldn't bother me if they weren't constantly trying to have their cake and eat it too. (See Saudi Arabia.) What would have been much better:

* A full-length statement from either Vince or Stephanie repudiating Hogan's comments, explaining the racist past of the wrestling business (not just their own company), steps they've taken to make it better, and steps that are still needed. Hell, this is also a chance for them to tout the diversity of the audience and their roster, their work with GLAAD, and their progress on the women's front. Maybe that would have rung hollow, but it's at least a thoughtful response instead of just a cowardly attempt to immediately wash their hands of the whole thing.

* Remove Hogan from PR work temporarily and send him to rehab. Announce that they're doing diversity training for their roster, including those under Legends contracts.

* Announce that after rehab, they are going to closely monitor Hogan's words and actions and if there isn't any indication that he's learned his lesson, they will of course fire him.

There's something that rubs me the wrong way about Michael Hayes being given extra chances and Hulk Hogan being fired immediately. Who is more important to the legacy and public reputation of the company? Maybe this all would have been a work and been shameless on its own. Chances are it would have been, considering the company track record. But if it is, they can at least be criticized for that, and they're at least trying to make it right instead of just firing him, hoping people forget, and then bringing him back later like it never happened.

Isn't the reason Hayes was not fired because Mark Henry asked that he not be? Then again, recently he was quoted talking about being part of some "delegation" that was against bringing Hogan back right now. The major difference is obviously nobody outside of the viewing audience really knows who Hayes is and Hogan cost them something like 50 million in the stock market and spooked advertisers.

Worth pointing out that the comments would have come out regardless of the Enquirer story. It would have just taken almost 9 more months until the Florida 2nd District Court of Appeals unsealed a ton of stuff from the Gawker lawsuit, including partial transcripts of the racist comments and the FBI sting audio that included Hogan and his lawyer watching him make the racist comments.

And yeah, it needs to be stressed that the recording included:

* Hogan bragging about fleecing Cecile Barker, the "black billionaire" who thought Hogan was his best friend and was the father of Brooke's then-boyfriend, for the millions that he spent on Hogan-related projects.

* Hogan is clearly pissed that his daughter is dating (and potentially "fucking") a black guy.

* Hogan randomly throws out "fucking [n-words]" as an aside after "I’m a racist to a point, y’know."

* Hogan appears to suggest that in the "black dudes dating Brooke" hierarchy, a basketball player would be preferable to the rapper son of a billionaire former aerospace magnate.

And then that Hogan's excuse was that:

* As a kid in south Tampa, the n-word was used as a term of endearment across racial lines. It wasn't, and that has nothing to do with what he said on the recording.

* He had, in the words of the ABC News interviewer, "inherited a racial bias," which had nothing to do with the previous excuse moments earlier.

He handled it about as badly as possible, which still worked on people who weren't aware of what he actually said.