Hulk Hogan returning to WWE

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#41 Bix

Bix
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 6358 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 11:40 PM

There is something to be said for having bad thoughts and knowing they are wrong and never acting on them. Hogan was in an intimate situation and doped up when he said what he did. That you can't find any black wrestlers who knew Hogan that will call him racist points to that. Which is something I did research a lot at the time. It does not make what he said okay. But considering how the comments were recorded and released, it seems like a thought crime. 

At this point, really, it's not even that he said it. It's the degree to which he attempted to bullshit his way out of it, which he hasn't owned up to or made good on.

#42 Victator

Victator
  • Members
  • 1670 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 12:54 AM

He definitely did not handle it right when it became public. I don't think he has ever heard thof the idea of saying nothing is better than saying something and making it worse. 

#43 Johnny Sorrow

Johnny Sorrow
  • Members
  • 4765 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 03:29 AM

I love that it's still him dropping the Nword that's the issue. Cause the whole boning your pals old lady while he films it to jerk off to, and the phone rings and the ring tone is your daughters pop song as you're wiping off your dick is ok, until you say something stupid. 😀

#44 El-P

El-P

NFLTG

• Members
  • 10026 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 03:31 AM

Having a racist discourse is not a "thought crime". It betrays a way to see and construct the world. How does it matter that Hogan never displayed any racism toward the black guys he worked with before ? That's just business. Bill Watts wasn't acting racist either. But the things Hogan said, or rather got caught saying in intimacy (in a context in which he was more himself, basically), are extremely racist. The fact he and his friends have only made excuses just makes it worse. 

Cause the whole boning your pals old lady while he films it to jerk off to, and the phone rings and the ring tone is your daughters pop song as you're wiping off your dick is ok, until you say something stupid.

Hum.. yeah, it's just sex. Who cares ?

#45 jackwebb

jackwebb
  • Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 03:42 AM

There is something to be said for having bad thoughts and knowing they are wrong and never acting on them. Hogan was in an intimate situation and doped up when he said what he did. That you can't find any black wrestlers who knew Hogan that will call him racist points to that. Which is something I did research a lot at the time. It does not make what he said okay. But considering how the comments were recorded and released, it seems like a thought crime. 

At the end of the rant he said "I guess we're all a little racist." That statement made it seem like it was actually out of character for him what he was saying. Of course he immediately followed that up with another n bomb but it was interesting comment that at least hints that the ugly episode was not the norm for him. 

#46 El-P

El-P

NFLTG

• Members
  • 10026 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 03:47 AM

It's actually a way to relativize what he was just saying in a way that made the racist tone of his sentence "ok" because after all, it's not that big of a deal, right ? But no, we're not "all a little racist". But what he was just saying truly was. I guess it's ok to work with black guys when it's time to make money, but when his daughter is dating one, then surges something ugly. 

Anyway, I can't wait to see Hogan thank the Saudi princes for the way they hosted them in Ryad soon.  :lol:

#47 Fando

Fando
  • Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 10:58 AM

It's silly how Nash and Hall and others quickly rationalized him saying it with his charity work etc. Hogan's threshold wasn't having to eat with or work with black people, it was the possibility of black guys boning his daughter. 

#48 iamthedoctor

iamthedoctor
  • Members
  • 1152 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 12:32 PM

I acknowledge that there's nothing atypical about how WWE handled the whole thing as a company, but for them to just fire him and wash their hands of the whole thing always rubbed me the wrong way. How did a guy who holds these views rise to the level he did in this world, traveling so extensively in the company of others, and interacting with so many fans, without anyone noticing? And if the company knew it and didn't care because he was such a cash cow, aren't they just as bad as him? (These are rhetorical questions, but stay with me.) They marketed him to children for the better part of the decade, only for him to later be exposed as a bigot, a drug user, and someone who can't be trusted on any issue. They built a national empire around him. Sure, you can't blame WWE for what he said in confidence 20+ years after his peak, but WWE putting all of this on Hogan doesn't seem like the right thing to do either. Even if their response is, "Well, we do a much better job of vetting people now before we market them to specific audiences", that can be criticized or debated but it's at least acknowledging that this is just as much a WWE story as it is a Hogan story. Hogan is not the only person with a dark side to ever have success in pro wrestling, but as one of the biggest names in wrestling history -- maybe the biggest -- he should be held to a higher standard, specifically because he was marketed as a hero to children for so long.

Everyones said similar things in private conversations with buddies, I mean stand up comics do it all the time. WWE just fired him so they didn't look bad and they handled that the wrong way they should have supported Hogan.

#49 Victator

Victator
  • Members
  • 1670 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 01:56 PM

Having a racist discourse is not a "thought crime". It betrays a way to see and construct the world. How does it matter that Hogan never displayed any racism toward the black guys he worked with before ? That's just business. Bill Watts wasn't acting racist either. But the things Hogan said, or rather got caught saying in intimacy (in a context in which he was more himself, basically), are extremely racist. The fact he and his friends have only made excuses just makes it worse. 

Cause the whole boning your pals old lady while he films it to jerk off to, and the phone rings and the ring tone is your daughters pop song as you're wiping off your dick is ok, until you say something stupid.

Hum.. yeah, it's just sex. Who cares ?

Well when you get down to it, Hogan's real response should have been "You only heard this in the course of violating my privacy, so shove it up your ass." 

I mean really its "You said some very disturbing things when I was spying on you having sex." How the fuck do you claim the moral high ground. At best its a lateral move. 

It's silly how Nash and Hall and others quickly rationalized him saying it with his charity work etc. Hogan's threshold wasn't having to eat with or work with black people, it was the possibility of black guys boning his daughter. 

If you listen or read it is obvious the context is she was dating someone who had a father who had more money and resources than he had. Which Hogan could not admit, so he used his race. Now why Hogan thinks being racist is better, that is something for a psychologist to decide. But since I had no right to hear it in the first place, it doesn't matter. 

#50 Fando

Fando
  • Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 03:30 PM

He was just mad because the guy's father was wealthier but at the same time said, "If we’re gonna fuck with niggers, let’s get a rich one!" ???

#51 ...TG

...TG
  • Members
  • 890 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 03:56 PM

At a time where they're taking so much flak for the Saudi deal, I don't see much upside in having Hogan back in the fold. What could they possibly do with him that couldn't be handled by the legends already under contract who don't have tapes of themselves saying racist shit?

#52 Victator

Victator
  • Members
  • 1670 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 04:02 PM

He was just mad because the guy's father was wealthier but at the same time said, "If we’re gonna fuck with niggers, let’s get a rich one!" ???

Not mad, he has deep psychological problems about control. But how can you be morally indignant about stuff you heard spying on a guy having sex? 

If Paige had been fired after her phone was hacked, people would rightly think it was bullshit. But Hogan said something racist while his privacy was violated so it is okay? 

It comes down to people having biases and thinking their should be double standards. If Hogan did not have a desperate need for attention, he should have told everyone to fuck off and become a recluse. 

#53 Fando

Fando
  • Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 04:10 PM

images1183511_kh.jpg

#54 Victator

Victator
  • Members
  • 1670 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 04:20 PM

Dude don't be obtuse. People learned information spying on someone having sex and weaponized it. Unless he was planning on killing some people, that is immoral. 

Also I do put some effort into using my words. Even if it might not seem that way. At least give me the same courtesy. 

#55 El-P

El-P

NFLTG

• Members
  • 10026 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 04:21 PM

Wait. Hogan saying he doesn't want his daughter to marry a nigger doesn't count because it happened on a leeked sextape ? Really ? Well, people have made excuses before, but that one is hilarious.

#56 Fando

Fando
  • Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 04:25 PM

Not only does it not count, it's exactly the same as Paige having sex with her colleagues.

#57 topropepodcast

topropepodcast
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 04:26 PM

Everyones said similar things in private conversations with buddies

No, I would wager that everyone has not said similar things in conversations with buddies.

#58 El-P

El-P

NFLTG

• Members
  • 10026 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 04:26 PM

Not only does it not count, it's exactly the same as Paige having sex with her colleagues.

Don't tempt me. There have been enough debate about tasteless and offensive jokes on this board today already. :)

But yeah. What the fuck. Brain implodes indeed.

#59 Victator

Victator
  • Members
  • 1670 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 04:27 PM

Wait. Hogan saying he doesn't want his daughter to marry a nigger doesn't count because it happened on a leeked sextape ? Really ? Well, people have made excuses before, but that one is hilarious.

I think spying on someone having sex is about as immoral as calling someone a nigger. So really what moral high ground do you have? How you got the information does count, sorry but it does. 

#60 Victator

Victator
  • Members
  • 1670 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 04:28 PM

So you really are that obtuse. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users