Pro Wrestling Only

Bryan Danielson's in ring ability

yesdanielbryan

Danielson's in ring ability  

53 members have voted

1. 1. As a pure talent is he on Misawa/Kobashi/Kawada level?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there was an ignore filter, shodate would earn it. I can't read the posts despite whatever validity they may have because they make my eyes hurt.

There is! You have to be using the full version of the site. Hover over your username in the top right and click manage ignore preferences. I'm right there with you.

If I saw a play and one of the actors pulled out his script to check the lines it would impact the quality of the performance but it would be because of poor execution rather than realism of the story or whatever

I think the better analogy would be poor CGI, or visible strings during a special effect.

Guys, yesterday I rewatched KENTA vs Bryan Danielson - ROH Glory By Honor 2006, Nigel vs Danielson - ROH Unfield and ROH Driven

Are for you 5 star matches?

Then, what do you think about Danielson's selling ability? In this field is one Benoit, Misawa, Kobashi, Kawada league?

It's a solid **** plus match

Dragon's style is Highly influenced form Kings Road like most us indie style was and wwe have began pickig that up NOAH ark style was just moidfied Kings road as well why o bring that up is this

they selll as well as each other but to untaiend eye some one who not use ot Kings Road mafets ots self as o selling but do KingsRoad well and you have the most well roued worker you could wish for pur inring wise

but a badly executed Kings Road style match has so many strings shwoing its like bad puppet show

Guys, yesterday I rewatched KENTA vs Bryan Danielson - ROH Glory By Honor 2006, Nigel vs Danielson - ROH Unfield and ROH Driven

Then, what do you think about Danielson's selling ability? In this field is one Benoit, Misawa, Kobashi, Kawada league?

I have...

Dragon v KENTA (GBH V) ****3/4

Dragon v Nigel (Unified) *****

Dragon v Nigel (Driven) ****1/2

The unified match is probably my favorite ROH match of all time and a real classic to me. So much emotion and energy. The build up was flawless in my mind and what they achieved that night (for better or worse) remains a stand-out ROH moment.

I am actually working through the Dragon/Nigel feud (very slowly) again right now and I know there are a couple other matches between the two that people are very fond of.

I also have a few other Dragon ROH matches rated particularly high

Dragon vs Gibson (GBH IV) ****3/4

Dragon vs Strong (Vendetta) ****3/4

Dragon v Morishima (Rising Above) ****3/4

To me, Dragon v Gibson might be the most underappreciated match in that company. I re-watched it when I was watching a lot of 70s NWA title match stuff and I think that very much shaped how I read it as a competitive, back and forth title match. It holds up really well.

Dragon's selling is good, but not elite to me. It rarely strikes me as a weakness, but he is no Ricky Morton either. He sort of tends to work a blend of that stoic, try to hide your injuries style and the screaming and sometimes over the top facial expressions. Sometimes that blend works better than others.

All 3 are bonafide 5-star classics for me. The KENTA match in particular might be my favorite match of all-time, at worst probably like #3.

As for Bryan's selling, his limb selling isn't as good as Benoit's or Kawada's, but he sells excellently when getting the shit beaten out of him (as seen in the KENTA match you mentioned) or when he is getting the heat worked on him (as seen during his 2013 - 2014 run many, many times).

I feel he understood how to use his lack of traditional charisma to his own advantage far quicker than Benoit did (don't know how he stacks against Volk Han's promos), and that needs to be a factor when comparing western talents more than Japanese ones because of the focus. The business may have been different but watching his first ROH run and then his absolutely legendary one a year or so later is night and day.

Compared to Misawa...Misawa's selling is my biggest gripe of his work, especially compared to his contemporaries. Kobashi may have oversold, but Kawada was perfect at it, both in the intricacies of selling injury and in the "toughing it out/FIGHTING SPIRIT" way. That's what makes me sour on him, and I feel Bryan is miles ahead in this department.

We also need to take Bryan's general size into account. He's not a hoss but he's not tiny, he's clearly athletic but he's not an Adonis, and his bumping is often such that fear for his health has existed even before 2014. Him playing the "tough guy" role wouldn't work as well as it even does a peer like LowKi, so he rides the wave of the match perfectly, knowing when to tease a means of his defeat and when to kick in the adrenaline. There hasn't been a major Bryan match I've seen where I didn't buy that he'd lose.

I feel he understood how to use his lack of traditional charisma to his own advantage far quicker than Benoit did (don't know how he stacks against Volk Han's promos), and that needs to be a factor when comparing western talents more than Japanese ones because of the focus. The business may have been different but watching his first ROH run and then his absolutely legendary one a year or so later is night and day.

Compared to Misawa...Misawa's selling is my biggest gripe of his work, especially compared to his contemporaries. Kobashi may have oversold, but Kawada was perfect at it, both in the intricacies of selling injury and in the "toughing it out/FIGHTING SPIRIT" way. That's what makes me sour on him, and I feel Bryan is miles ahead in this department.

We also need to take Bryan's general size into account. He's not a hoss but he's not tiny, he's clearly athletic but he's not an Adonis, and his bumping is often such that fear for his health has existed even before 2014. Him playing the "tough guy" role wouldn't work as well as it even does a peer like LowKi, so he rides the wave of the match perfectly, knowing when to tease a means of his defeat and when to kick in the adrenaline. There hasn't been a major Bryan match I've seen where I didn't buy that he'd lose.

as pure in-ring goes three of the 4 pillars are good comparisons since ROH style drew so much from Kings Road

my view on my Judging a worker on promos is want to watch people talk i just watch the vacuous Daytime variety shows or talk shows that every nation has and how promos work iin Japan is diffrent since Legit sports like Tokyo sports [ and their regional affliates] still cover wrestling so when you hear a Japanese worker talk post match think of it as football/baseball player doing the same after a game.

this time it was not me who brought up volk but his promos though i only read the subs of his promos since he talked not one word of Japanese at all but there as like pre fight promos in boxing or post fight interviews

i like the Japanese ideal of the wrestling promo more as well it all catchphrases and pablum it is more believable and real feeling when your hearing an interview and hearing all the flashbulbs go off as the prom/.interview is happening something wwe promos have always lacked for me and even most nwa promos too thye feel there Mugging off rather than giving something close to there legit views. the most legit moment in wwe history that iv seen was eddie and benoit after wm 20 even if the tears were worked they felt real

interviews by native Japanese talent are for a totally different reason than that the ones in wwe or most us promotions hence why you hardly ever see a 20 min promo in Japanese wrestling[you may see a 5-10 promo in places like TJP ] like in wwe to me wwe programming is not a wrestling show its a on e of the day time talk and or variety shows that happens to contain pro wrestling

I can understand why people aren't all in on Misawa's selling - he's not particularly expressive, certainly - but I think Misawa's selling at its best is absolutely outstanding and maybe better than the best of anybody else's. The way he soldiered on through the last fifteen minutes of the '96 Tag League final was as captivating as I've ever seen in a wrestling match. It was pretty subtle, but it was an incredible performance and he mostly did it through his selling.

I can understand why people aren't all in on Misawa's selling - he's not particularly expressive, certainly - but I think Misawa's selling at its best is absolutely outstanding and maybe better than the best of anybody else's.

Agreed. He's subtle to a fault.

I can understand why people aren't all in on Misawa's selling - he's not particularly expressive, certainly - but I think Misawa's selling at its best is absolutely outstanding and maybe better than the best of anybody else's. The way he soldiered on through the last fifteen minutes of the '96 Tag League final was as captivating as I've ever seen in a wrestling match. It was pretty subtle, but it was an incredible performance and he mostly did it through his selling.

Yeah. His selling used to bother me, but it really grew on me, particularly when you view him on a feud, year, or even career level instead of maybe a match level. It isn't going to jump off the screen, but his opponents benefited greatly from it long term.

If I had to pick the geatest seller in wrestling history, Misawa would be on my short list. At his best, he had total command of pacing and his own character.

Same, I think Misawa might be the greatest seller I've ever seen. He feels like an elite level athlete grinding through a grueling contest.

Duncan is subtle but he has such great body language and humor. Spurs broadcasts of games used to always show him trolling Sean Elliott, and his dry sense of humor during post-game interviews, especially when it comes with playing off Pop. During games, he was subtle but you could tell when he was excited, upset and when he was frustrated as hell, and yes the classic selling of a foul call. If Duncan is Misawa, Manu Ginobili is clearly Kenta Kobashi, Coach Pop is Giant Baba and Joey Crawford is Tirantes.