Pro Wrestling Only

Former Wrestlers Speaks Out Against Allegations That Led to WWE Removing Fabulous Moolah's Name from Battle Royal

iamthedoctor

What Meltzer said about Moolah in his 2007 bio:

"You never know truth from fiction in the story of Moolah, who, in person, was a charming Southern woman who may not have been well liked by most of the women wrestlers of the era, but garnered tremendous respect from the men in power, which was very difficult for a woman in this business to have. She was reliable to do business with. When she said you'd have four women in your territory of a certain date, they would be there, no matter what the weather conditions were. And the women were taught not to complain or cause trouble even though the hard life traveling with a troupe of wrestlers for a few weeks is going to have its inherent issues. The reputation is they would be professionals when they arrived, and the ones who weren't didn't last long. Of course, different promoters had very difficult ideas of what being a professional meant."

That certainly reads awful. I wish Dave would be less vague, because I think if you read between the lines it's pretty clear, but he doesn't go right out and say it.

Which says something about certain promoters than Moolah. Dave was likely vague because he had nothing concrete.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"You never know truth from fiction in the story of Moolah, who, in person, was a charming Southern woman who may not have been well liked by most of the women wrestlers of the era, but garnered tremendous respect from the men in power, which was very difficult for a woman in this business to have. She was reliable to do business with. When she said you'd have four women in your territory of a certain date, they would be there, no matter what the weather conditions were. And the women were taught not to complain or cause trouble even though the hard life traveling with a troupe of wrestlers for a few weeks is going to have its inherent issues. The reputation is they would be professionals when they arrived, and the ones who weren't didn't last long. Of course, different promoters had very difficult ideas of what being a professional meant."

That certainly reads awful. I wish Dave would be less vague, because I think if you read between the lines it's pretty clear, but he doesn't go right out and say it.

Which says something about certain promoters than Moolah. Dave was likely vague because he had nothing concrete.

Really? We all know what promoters can be like and being on the road with the guys. Moolah was sending the amount of women needed for the time needed and were taught not to complain or cause trouble and any one who did was gone. That sounds pretty fucked up to me and I don't know how you can read that as Moolah being innocent.

Really? We all know what promoters can be like and being on the road with the guys. Moolah was sending the amount of women needed for the time needed and were taught not to complain or cause trouble and any one who did was gone. That sounds pretty fucked up to me and I don't know how you can read that as Moolah being innocent.

The implication is pretty clear and kind of direct as to what is being alluded to here that Moolah was basically the pimp who supplied her girls to different promoters, some who may have had good intentions and others who did not. Moolah did business with them all, knew what was going on and kept the system going. But you're right Victator, this has nothing to do with Moolah. Its all the dudes' faults.

Well yeah she is a garbage heap of a person. That is not really in dispute. Her God is money. Which does not make her a human trafficker.

But let me ask you this. If there was concrete evidence of Moolah pimping women out. Why has Meltzer not said anything in the last month to confirm it? Why did he not outright say something in 07? It can't be for sentimental reasons. We saw last week, Dave is motivated by facts more than anything else. So I think if there was something there, he would have said it then.

Well yeah she is a garbage heap of a person. That is not really in dispute. Her God is money. Which does not make her a human trafficker.

But let me ask you this. If there was concrete evidence of Moolah pimping women out. Why has Meltzer not said anything in the last month to confirm it? Why did he not outright say something in 07? It can't be for sentimental reasons. We saw last week, Dave is motivated by facts more than anything else. So I think if there was something there, he would have said it then.

hmm... did you see his response to the Elgin and Swann situations. He doens't have a great track record when talking about women.

Regardless did you read the quote? Moolah sent women to promoters whenever they wanted and they couldn't complain or make a fuss, because if they did they were gone. What do you think he meant by this? Just that the wouldn't complain about pay?

It's probably not worth the cost of a potential lawsuit.

Funny and topical, as I'm waching the Back to the Territories Houston edition (which is excellent BTW, a real pleasure), at some point Cornette mentions Moolah in a rather sarcastic way, to which Bruce says "Hey, don't disparage the good name of Lilian". Cornette then goes "She was always wonderful to me". Bruce "To me too". Cornette, under his breath a bit "… we didn't train under her".

Funny and topical, as I'm waching the Back to the Territories Houston edition (which is excellent BTW, a real pleasure), at some point Cornette mentions Moolah in a rather sarcastic way, to which Bruce says "Hey, don't disparage the good name of Lilian". Cornette then goes "She was always wonderful to me". Bruce "To me too". Cornette, under his breath a bit "… we didn't train under her".

In that vein, there is a story where she got Nick Gulas to fire Jerry Lawler briefly. He was staying at a hotel above the Gulas office and he dropped a bucket of water on her, not knowing who it was. She demanded Gulas fire him, so he "fired" Lawler for a month.

My guess would be its the Sweet Georgia Brown claim since that was the bedrock claim the Twitter mob ran to Snickers with.

This is a good social experiment about mob mentality online. Since the only victim is someone who was a bad person for various other reasons, its no harm, no foul.

It's probably not worth the cost of a potential lawsuit.

Exactly what I was going to say. If you've read Dave for any length of time, you know that there are things he always puts in the WON where he trusts his readers to see between the lines. In other words, I could blatantly say this, but I won't because it would compromise my sources and open me up to a lawsuit. In a piece about PEDs about 10-12 years ago, he casually mentioned that Ric Flair does what he has to do to look a certain way on TV. When asked once if torn quadriceps are a common steroid injury, he gave a one word answer: yes. When he talks about Savage and Stephanie, he just says, "I think it's what everyone says it is." When asked why HHH has looked softer lately, he answered that he and Stephanie were trying to conceive a child.

So Dave is now saying on Twitter that the pimping and drug stories have been debunked, which would be news to me.

Especially since he doesn't actually gives any sources at all. When the whole Battle Royal deal happened, he wasn't exactly that straight on the issue either, saying on the WOR show that these stories were "probably way exagerated", but he didn't give any of those straight "debunking" either. So it does comes out of the blue and without any actual sources on this one. Like Grimmas said, considering how he handled the Elgin & Swann situations, not exactly sure how to read that one. (to give him credit, he's saying this in the middle of an argument about how the Saudi Arabia issue is much more problematic and embarrassing, which I agree with)

When he talks about Savage and Stephanie, he just says, "I think it's what everyone says it is."

What would that even mean?

He elaborated that it was why WWE avoided a relationship with Randy Savage. It might not have been true, but people in the company believed it and of course Vince never gave a straight answer.

I think the collective bias of people here in regards to Moolah is obvious. If source says its true, they are quickly embraced. If a source says its not true or even says it can't be confirmed, they are quickly dismissed.

I think that sort of mentality has to be opposed. Its better for the greater good.

Its in your best interest to try to look at it objectively and try to find the truth. Instead of deciding you like one version and will try to make that happen.

I don't really think Dave saying its debunked, means it did not happen. He has worked hard to damage his reputation on Twitter. But I think the available evidence points to the pimping claims being garbage.

He elaborated that it was why WWE avoided a relationship with Randy Savage. It might not have been true, but people in the company believed it and of course Vince never gave a straight answer.

I kinda think it is horse shit since not one person will confirm or deny it. But the McMahons act so weird about it you could think Vince slept with Savage. But by that standard, I would think Vince personally murdered the Benoit family with how guilty he acts.

I think the collective bias of people here in regards to Moolah is obvious. If source says its true, they are quickly embraced. If a source says its not true or even says it can't be confirmed, they are quickly dismissed.

I think that sort of mentality has to be opposed. Its better for the greater good.

In the grand scheme of things, I agree with that.

As far as Moolah goes, she was an asshole anyway you slice it and she's dead, so yeah, the collective bias probably plays a part. That being said, none of the stories about "She treated *me* right" are convincing that she didn't do any really dirty stuff.

FWIW, Prichard (yeah, I know) said he never even heard about the Savage rumour until years after the fact. To me it's one of those things that came up during the infamous "sleaze thread" and became its own urban legend. Very hard to believe honestly. (now, you've told me Lawler, then it would be way different...)

She was what 12 at the time? That's a serious hornets nest to kick.

The rumor said it was 94, so she would have been 18. Which would be very weird if true and Vince would have every right to feel betrayed. I think it stems from that promo Savage cut in HHH in 2002 promoting his website. Where he threatened to slap Hunter and might steal Stephanie from him.

I don't believe the Savage-Steph bullshit at all. It was invented in the sleaze thread and somehow took on a life of its own.

I'm sure rubes who were in the company at the time, like Bruce Prichard, believe it. But yes-men types like that will never actually ask Vince. To be fair, even no-men like Heyman wouldn't dare approach the subject with Vince. Regardless, I think it's a big, steaming pile of bullshit.

Bruce does not believe the rumors. But like C.S said, you don't go up to someone and ask if their daughter fornicated with a close family friend.

I can't remember who, but someone asked Vince about working with Savage, Vince reportedly plainly said "I do not want to work with that man."