Photo

WCW Saturday Night on the Network

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian
  • Members
  • 726 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, Sports, Games, Comics, Reading, Television, Movies, Sci-fi, Fantasy.

Posted 23 April 2018 - 10:06 AM

(...)

- Austin vs. Z-Man was damn good and fun. As tempting as it is to credit Austin for a carry-job based on hindsight, that would be unfair and untrue - Z-Man worked his ass off too and had fans chanting his name. That would never happen today with some random midcard babyface (unless ironically).

I was watching this a week or so ago. I did not remember Austin having a knee brace that early in his career. By the way: how did the Z-Man name got by S&P?

His name was Tom Zenk, so Z-Man wasn't much of a stretch. Yes, say it a certain way and it can sound like 'Seaman'. Not a big enough deal for S&P to bother with if you have to go that far for the joke.

#22 Robert S

Robert S
  • Members
  • 794 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 10:31 AM

Z-Man and semen are almost homophones. I suppose that was done on purpose with someone finding it funny in a "see, he is a blowjob babyface" way.

#23 khawk20

khawk20
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 2424 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 10:42 AM

Z-Man and semen are almost homophones. I suppose that was done on purpose with someone finding it funny in a "see, he is a blowjob babyface" way.

Maybe it's because I saw Zenk start out in the AWA and watched him as "Zenk" up until that point but I never put together what Z-man could sound like until I read this just now (and the connotation attached to it which also fits disturbingly well for him).

Signed, "The guy that took the screen name 'khawk' as a homage to his favourite NHL team, as opposed to how it sounds if you say it quickly which he didn't realize until it was pointed out to him several years later..."  :D

#24 clintthecrippler

clintthecrippler
  • Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:16 PM

(...)

- Austin vs. Z-Man was damn good and fun. As tempting as it is to credit Austin for a carry-job based on hindsight, that would be unfair and untrue - Z-Man worked his ass off too and had fans chanting his name. That would never happen today with some random midcard babyface (unless ironically).

I was watching this a week or so ago. I did not remember Austin having a knee brace that early in his career. By the way: how did the Z-Man name got by S&P?
His name was Tom Zenk, so Z-Man wasn't much of a stretch. Yes, say it a certain way and it can sound like 'Seaman'. Not a big enough deal for S&P to bother with if you have to go that far for the joke.

I had a random Saturday Night fired up the other day when a friend dropped by. He watches the modern stuff and WWE back in that era but WCW pre Monday Nitro is a blind spot.

Friend: "Why do they call him the Z-Man?"

Me: "Because he's the best wrestler in the world, from A to Z...MAAAN!"

Friend: "really?"

Me: "No but even that would've been more effort and creativity than the real reason."

#25 C.S.

C.S.
  • Members
  • 2517 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 06:44 PM

Not sure how Z-Man can sound like semen unless you're a redneck who is pronouncing Z-Man incorrectly. (Granted, that might have been an issue in the Southern hayseed-infested Dubya-C-Duyba.)

SuperMAN, BatMAN, Spider-MAN, Z-Man. Not Supermin, Batmin, Spider-min, Z-min.

#26 Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian
  • Members
  • 726 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, Sports, Games, Comics, Reading, Television, Movies, Sci-fi, Fantasy.

Posted 23 April 2018 - 07:29 PM

To be Ze Man, you have to beat Ze Man - German Ric Flair

#27 TheDuke

TheDuke
  • Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 09:14 PM

In Canada he would be called Zed Man.

#28 Coffey

Coffey
  • Members
  • 4003 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:18 AM

Jason Hervey is the shits on commentary. This episode has been tough to get through. Woof.

Looking forward to Arn Anderson Vs. Big Josh in best two-out-of-three falls but I gotta mute it.

#29 Lee

Lee
  • Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:37 PM

My favourite of the episodes I've watched so far is the 5/23/92 show. There's a really fun opener with The Steiners throwing around the best halves of The Rock 'n' Roll Express and The Young Pistols (Ricky Morton and Tracy Smothers), and a 2/3 falls main event with Steamboat, Koloff & Rhodes against Eaton, Anderson & Zbyszko that's just perfect.

Everyone in the match is great, Steamboat is in peak form with his overdramatic selling, Koloff is such a great monster, and Zbyszko fucking everything up is a delight. Best of all, you've got Arn giving a 10 out of 10 performance and still not being the best guy on his team. This is one of those matches where, despite how understated he is, you'll come away with a reminder that Bobby Eaton is one of the greatest workers ever, so smooth in the ring, great bumps, great looking offence, and great timing. In fact, everyone's sense of ring placement and timing is impeccable here, especially on the finishes. I can't recommend this one enough. 

#30 iamthedoctor

iamthedoctor
  • Members
  • 1152 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 02:40 PM

I've sampled several episodes so far and have noticed that Jesse isn't doing color commentary with Jim Ross. My memory is a little fuzzy as to specifics but did he start on SN once Ross left?

Yeah, he drops in occasionally during 1992, but he's not full time on SN until '93. He is doing Worldwide with Schiavone every week at this point.

Id prefered Worldwide to Sat Night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users