Pro Wrestling Only

Time to Boycott ROH cuase of there owners

shodate

See, neoliberalism as described in this thread is essentially indistinguishable from conservatism (other than the diversity part, which historically has not been Vince McMahon's strong suit to say the least). The term has become basically meaningless. It's little more than an epithet used by leftists to describe anyone to their right.

That's entirely untrue if you actually understand what the term is meant to describe; that is, the change in the operation and organisation of capitalism that began in the 1970s and the logic of which was politically hegemonic for about 35 years.

Let me ask again. What exactly is the difference between neoliberalism and conservatism? Is it solely the the former is more socially tolerant?

Short answer: Yes, pretty much, generally speaking.

Long answer: Neoconservatives prefer to use weapons on their enemies and neoliberals would rather starve them to death, as someone here who I won't name in case he doesn't want to be dragged into this thread said to me once in a chat where we were discussing the term. The war in Afghanistan was started by a Republican President, escalated by a Democratic President, and further escalated by the next Republican President. Bush championed NAFTA and Clinton saw it through. Both parties are opposed to single-payer healthcare, with a few outliers as exceptions. Both supported the bailout. Both supported No Child Left Behind. Both support the Patriot Act. Presidents from both parties have promoted outsourcing of jobs. Even on social issues, Clinton signed DOMA, welfare reform, and the crime bill.

They are pretty much the same. There was incredible continuity in American government from Reagan to Obama. If you use the term neoliberalism, you basically believe that the Democratic Party and the Republican Party are the same or close to the same on virtually every issue, only disagreeing about things like gay marriage and abortion. It seems like the differences are bigger than they really are, which makes sense when there's tons of overlap in party donors.

The Powell memorandum in the early 70s, along with the formation of the Trilateral Commission, are usually cited as the birth of neoliberalism. Milton Friedman is usually cited as the godfather.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are wrong about Rey and Eddy, but that seems more obvious.

no im not they were bith born in the us ie there not JCC like at all you are were your born eddie was born in texas rey in san diego, so yes there more like oscar than JCC who made Mistico a compere too someone born in mexico ocsar i wager was hero to Latin fans but you will never see him on list of top mexican boxers of all time

cuase i one huge reason he was not born in mexico nor were rey and eddie and this is the same reason i will never have eddie ot rey listed as top mexican worker of all time

Woooosh

Wait, so Eddie and Rey aren't really Mexican because they were born in America? Ummm, Texas and California WERE Mexico for a long time, for one thing. The other thing is, "What the fuck?"

Why is the "Japanese" guy suddenly an expert on the feelings of "Latin" fans?

no im not they were bith born in the us ie there not JCC like at all you are were your born eddie was born in texas rey in san diego, so yes there more like oscar than JCC who made Mistico a compere too someone born in mexico ocsar i wager was hero to Latin fans but you will never see him on list of top mexican boxers of all time

cuase i one huge reason he was not born in mexico nor were rey and eddie and this is the same reason i will never have eddie ot rey listed as top mexican worker of all time

Woooosh

Wait, so Eddie and Rey aren't really Mexican because they were born in America? Ummm, Texas and California WERE Mexico for a long time, for one thing. The other thing is, "What the fuck?"

im not im just say how i see it the it you are were your born that is just a fact cailiforina was also a republic for a long time too Baja is still in mexico alto is not by your stance here Idonisna people may as well be Dutch

what im saying us owuld you put rey abd eddie on list of mexican workers of all time or top us workers i would put them on us workers[ i do the same for chono btw] that is just my view that i am free to hold

Where did Rey and Eddy get their starts and where did they become famous?

Now on to Mistico in WWE. Beyond Rey and Eddy, workers like Juventud, Psicosis and Super Crazy all did fairly well in WWE. Juvi did get released, but that was more Juvi being a nut. Psicosis was released for personal reasons and Crazy left on his own.

What more could WWE have done for Mistico? As it is, I think they did too much. After a year he was becoming actively worse.

Where did Rey and Eddy get their starts and where did they become famous?

Now on to Mistico in WWE. Beyond Rey and Eddy, workers like Juventud, Psicosis and Super Crazy all did fairly well in WWE. Juvi did get released, but that was more Juvi being a nut. Psicosis was released for personal reasons and Crazy left on his own.

What more could WWE have done for Mistico? As it is, I think they did too much. After a year he was becoming actively worse.

each to there own

rey says wwe is is home i first saw him in WAR i know he begna in AAA i say you are where your born that is how my stance always has been

would you call Mario millano Austrailan cause he was more famous therr than any other place over all

• 2 weeks later...

Woooosh

I'm not really sure what shodate's complete arguments are here, but there is some truth to what he's attempting to say in at least one aspect. A big reason why Cain Velasquez struggled really connecting with the fanbase in Mexico was because he was American born and struggled to talk Spanish. It was an ongoing joke with so many of my friends about how a Southwestern Chicano was being framed as a Mexican star by the UFC. Also it was a really forced attempt at creating a "Mexican star" that rung hollow and revealed that UFC didn't really understand these nuances. WWE has this issue too but honestly think UFC is worst at it.

Shodate is on to something and yeah boxing has a better understanding on the nuances of regional Mexican vs Chicanos than wrestling and MMA. I know we probably saw this in the 1970s with feuds that Jose Lothario was involved in but modern day wrestling you'd never see something like Juan Manuel Marquez vs Juan Diaz, where a part of the feud was someone from Mexico going up against a Houston Chicano, and how that was some added tension during their fight of the year candidate.

Not sure if the examples (Eddy, Rey, Mistico) he is using would be what I would use and don't agree with some of that stuff, and there are some complex elements at play too and exceptions, but there is something to what he is saying about Julio Cesar Chavez and Oscar de la Hoya and the different demographics they were heroes to. The 1990s were an interesting time and it said a lot about who you were and what was your background when you picked either Chavez or de la Hoya as your boxing favorite.

Woooosh

I'm not really sure what shodate's complete arguments are here, but there is some truth to what he's attempting to say in at least one aspect. A big reason why Cain Velasquez struggled really connecting with the fanbase in Mexico was because he was American born and struggled to talk Spanish. It was an ongoing joke with so many of my friends about how a Southwestern Chicano was being framed as a Mexican star by the UFC. Also it was a really forced attempt at creating a "Mexican star" that rung hollow and revealed that UFC didn't really understand these nuances.

Shodate is on to something about how boxing has a better understanding on the nuances of regional Mexican vs Chicanos than wrestling and MMA. I knfow we probably saw this in the 1970s with feuds Jose Lothario was involved in but modern day wrestling you'd never see something like Juan Manuel Marquez vs Juan Diaz, where a part of the feud was someone from Mexico going up against a Houston Chicano.

Not sure if the examples (Eddy, Rey, Mistico) he is using would be what I would use and don't agree with some other stuff, but there is something to what he is saying about Julio Cesar Chavez and Oscar de la Hoya and the different demographics they were heroes to.

what do you disagree with id will debate you on them point too

and thank for backing me up on the ocser and JCC things

Also, comparing every worker ever to Volk Han is funnier than comparing every worker ever to Ted DiBiase, and he won't have any of that.

i use Volk as my Measuring stick to be fair to modern guys my only three above volk are people from the older era everyone has a measuring stick

I have no idea how neoliberalism (I am a proud neoliberal) is being conflated with libertarianism. Neoliberalism believes in free market capitalism but also recognizes there are market failures. Market failures can take the form of, but are not limited to asymmetric information, moral hazard, and externalities. Neoliberal economists have every right to believe that free markets free of market failures are the most efficient. Free trade and de-regulation of electricity markets have shown that. However, in the case of market failures, neoliberal economists will cite the need for regulation. This is why neo-liberal economists will promote a carbon tax or a price floor for carbonaceous fuels because the negative externality of pollution is not captured in the price of burning carbon-based fuels. Furthermore, in response to the credit crunch of the late 2000s, regulation was passed to better regulate investment/commercial and the rating agencies (Moody's, Standard's & Poor's) which rate the assets. Libertarians, which tend to follow wacky Austrian School of Economics, believe in no regulation. Neocons believe in classical economics bullshit like the Laffer Curve. I love you all as pro wrestling fans, but jeez.

Also I absolutely love that the fake Japanese guy on this board is championing the story of the fake Japanese wrestler as a tribute to Japan somehow being an open, tolerant culture. :P Give me a break, Rikidozan had to pretend to be Japanese because of how damn racist the Japanese were. It was the greatest work of all time, but lets not give Japan credit here for being an open, tolerant society when they were not. I am told things are better towards Koreans and Chinese now, but they were not then.