Pro Wrestling Only

AWA results for March 1986

rainmakerrtv

Outstanding TV! Yea, Nord's win over Patera is a big one. Gaylord and Peterson are on a roll and Sullivan has them on a path of destruction. Looks like Saito is bringing Larry Z's focus back...for now. Adams earns a shot at Garvin. That is an intriguing match and would get my money. Roberts takes out Orton with the DDT! I'm all for a Piper/Cactus brawl. Sullivan might think he has the upper hand on Pillman but he better think again. I'm looking forward to a focused Pillman who doesn't have to be distracted by Sullivan.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huge win for Big John.

Imagine choosing Maxx Payne and Jeff "Worst Interviews Ever" Gaylord over Brian Pillman. That's Sullivan for you, though. He's nothing if not unpredictable. Looking forward to Pillman working as more of a good guy once he returns from Japan.

Snake Pit vs Piper's Pit continues to bring the goods every week. That's a great feud.

Garvin vs Adams will be a good one!

AWA show from the Cow Palace, San Francisco, April 11th (as shown on ESPN / TSN Super Cards)

Bill Dundee vs. Chavo Guerrero

Dundee caught Chavo with a running cross body press, but Chavo countered it with a rollover and fistful of trunks for the pinfall

The Great Kabuki & The Razor Boys vs Jerry Blackwell, Ken Patera & Sheikh Adnan Al-Kaissie

Kabuki pinned Kaissie after a thrust kick to the jaw

Brian Pillman vs. Hector Guerrero

Pillman won with the Air Pillman

Dan Spivey & Mike Rotundo vs. Bob Orton & Buzz Sawyer

Spivey beat Sawyer with the Spivey Bomber

Shane Douglas vs. Chris Adams

Douglas gave Adams quite the fight but ended up going down to the Superkick

AWA Southern Tag Team Title Match : Black Irish © vs. The Can-Am Express

Black Irish took out Lafon with the Spike Piledriver to defend their titles

AWA World Title Match : Ricky Steamboat © vs. Nick Bockwinkel

A masterpiece of technical wrestling that went to a 30 minute draw

AWA show from the Portland Memorial Coliseum, Portland, February 12th

Doug Furnas vs. Tom Zenk

Furnas was going for the running Canadian backbreaker into the corner, but Zenk countered by sliding down his back and sending him chest first into the corner, then caught him coming out with a schoolboy rollup assisted by a fistful of trunks to get the pinfall

Jeff Gaylord & Darryl Peterson vs. Mando & Hector Guerrero

The Varsity Club won with the Execution on Mando

Sgt. Slaughter vs. Leo Burke

Sarge made Burke give up to the Cobra Clutch

The Sheepherders vs. Shane Douglas & Bill Dundee

The Sheepherders hit a double stomach breaker on Douglas for the win

Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Phil Lafon

Bigelow got the victory with the Nuclear Splash

Steven Regal vs. Dave Taylor

A long technical match that ended up coming to a very sudden end when Regal knocked out Taylor with the Iron Fist Punch

Greg Gagne vs. Chris Adams

Gagne was trying to lock in the Gagne Sleeper when Adams blocked it and hit a belly to back suplex for the one two three

AWA Southern Title Match : Pat Tanaka © vs. Norman Smiley

Another technical match that ended by knockout with Tanaka hitting the crane kick to the jaw on Smiley to defend his belt

AWA World Tag Team Title Match : Buddy Rose & Doug Somers © vs. Rocky Mountain Thunder

While Rose distracted White into chasing him around the ring, Somers hit a brain buster on Scorpio to score the victory.

AWA American Title Match : Dan Spivey © vs. Roddy Piper

Plenty of mayhem, as could be expected from a Roddy Piper match. Spivey won by DQ when he was attacked by Bob Orton. Mike Rotundo came in to even the sides and both factions brawled long after the bell.

Man, your roster is so stacked. You could practically just pull names out of a hat and get one good match-up after another. Both of those cards look like so much fun. Very well booked!

I think my top 3 would have been:

3) Bigelow vs Lafon

2) Regal vs Taylor

1) Steamboat vs Bock

Steamer vs. Bock again going to a draw. Zenk using the tights? Bigelow vs. LaFon would have been such an interesting match-up. Regal vs. Taylor is always a great match-up. Tanaka getting the push he always should have is great. Piper vs. Hogan-but-not-quite is a fun feud.

Another nice set of cards. Steamboat vs Bock was exciting but I few the other two so differently. I thought Steamboat was under rated and was awesome while I remember Bock with mixed feelings. He always seemed to bore me a bit but always thought he deserved respect for being one of the best. Kinda like Larry Z but I was only 10 or so. How good were these 2 in your eyes?

Couple of great shows here. Pillman/Hector is a gem. I like the teaming of Spivey and Rotunda and they get a big win over Orton and Sawyer. Black Irish continue their winning ways. That Steamboat/Bock match is an instant classic.

Zenk bending the rules a bit to get the win, wonder where this is going. Gaylord and Peterson are rising up the ranks quickly. Love the Regal/Taylor match. Tanaka is proving to be a great fit as Southern Champ, I think he's in line for a world title shot. Speaking of champs, Rose and Sommers continue to be one of my favorite tag teams. That Spivey/Piper match would of been awesome to see live. Looks like we could be seeing a Spivey/Rotunda-Piper's Pit feud down the line.

AWA show from McArthur Court, Eugene, April 13th

Mike Rotundo & Doug Furnas vs. The British Bullies

The Varsity Club took down Jones with a double dropkick to get the victory

Larry Cameron vs. Mando Guerrero

Cameron won with a power slam

The Razor Boys vs. Chavo & Hector Guerrero

The Razor Boys executed the Straight Razor on Hector to score the win

Fit Finlay vs. Norman Smiley

Finlay made Smiley give up to the Indian Deathlock

Ron Garvin & The Can-Am Express vs. Kevin Sullivan, Jeff Gaylord & Darryl Peterson

Zenk pinned Sullivan after hitting a superkick

Bob Orton vs. Chris Adams

Orton was going for a superplex, but Adams countered with a cross body in mid air and got the pin

Sgt. Slaughter vs. Bam Bam Bigelow

Sarge won by DQ when Bigelow avalanched the ref

AWA Southern Title Match : Pat Tanaka © vs. Steven Regal

A duel of Tanaka trying to knock out Regal with the Rolling Wheel Kick and Regal, in turn , looking to knock out Tanaka with the Iron Fist Punch went to a 20 minute time limit draw

Falls Count Anywhere Match : Roddy Piper vs. Cactus Jack

An insane brawl that ended when Piper hit the Piledriver on Cactus on the concrete to get the victory

AWA World Tag Team Title Match : Buddy Rose & Doug Somers © vs. Shane Douglas & Bill Dundee

Douglas was trying to execute a belly to belly suplex on Rose when Somers clobbered him in the back of the head with the loaded elbow pad to score a tainted win for his team

AWA American Title Match : Dan Spivey © vs. Buzz Sawyer

Sawyer put up a ferocious fight but ultimately went down to the Spivey Bomber

This kind of card is the reason the AWA would keep me buying tickets. The Guerreros seem to be slipping lately. Zenk continues to shine as he gets the pin on Sullivan in the 6 man tag. Slaughter/Bam Bam is an awesome clash and the finish hopefully sets up a rematch. Regal has a great showing against a red hot Tanaka. Good grief, that Piper/Jack match looked off the charts! Piper with a brutal victory. Rose and Sommers retain. I wonder which team can dethrone them. Spivey with a strong defense as his stock continues to rise.

Great show. Sullivan might be one of the biggest players right now and he rarely wins matches. That just shows that it is all how you write things up and you are doing an excellent job here and even though he doesn't always come on top nobody ever knows what is next. That is the sign of a perfect show.

AWA All-Star Wrestling on ESPN / TSN for April 18th

Brian Pillman vs. Paul Wachter

Last week, Pillman was unceremoniously booted from the Varsity Club, but to look at him, he seems well rid of the presence of Kevin Sullivan. Since then, he had an incredibly impressive appearance in Japan and now seems to be all fire and enthusiasm as he took on Wachter. He bounced the rookie all over the ring with a series of dropkicks and aerial moves before finishing him off with Air Pillman, with the crowd solidly behind him all the way. It looks like the sky is the limit for young Pillman, now that he is free of the “help” of the “Games Master”.

The British Bullies vs. The Youngbloods

Someone else who has returned from Japan are Biff Wellington and Steve Blackman, The Youngbloods, who score a hard fought victory over Yoji Anjo and Osamu Kido. If they were hoping to keep up their momentum, they certainly had their work cut out for them, facing one of the toughest teams in the AWA. This was a mostly a technical battle , but an intense one, with Taylor and Jones seeming to throw in a bit extra with every suplex or submission hold. Jones looked like he was trying to put down Blackman for good with a takeover suplex, but Blackman dug in and blocked it, followed by a single arm takedown into a cross arm breaker. Taylor came in to try to break it up, but was intercepted by Wellington, who managed to hold him off until Blackman forced Jones to give up. The Younbloods may be one of the newest teams in the AWA, but the other teams would disregard them at their peril.

AWA Six-Man Tag Team Title Match : The Guerrero Brothers © vs. Doug Furnas, Darryl Peterson & Jeff Gaylord

The Varsity Club Rush members were out on their own this time, with no one accompanying them to the ring, but worked well as a unit throughout the match. Peterson and Gaylord in particular managed a series of swift tags and double teams that showed them working with one mind. The champions, however, were no slouches themselves with regards to combination moves, and the momentum swing back and forth throughout the match. The match eventually broke down to all six men in the ring at one time, with Gaylord and Peterson hitting the Execution on Mando in one end of the ring, while Chavo hit the flying somersault senton on Furnas in the other. It was this second move that the ref caught, and he made the count in favor of the champions.

Sgt. Slaughter vs. Doug Somers

Playboy After Dark have managed to keep their World Tag Team Titles in a series of tough defenses against Rocky Mountain Thunder, but this time out Somers would be facing Thunder’s Cobra Corps commander, Sgt. Slaughter. Somers had his partner Buddy Rose in his corner for the match, and the Playboy got progressively more agitated and frantic throughout the match. Somers frequently found himself overwhelmed by the powerful DI, and eventually went to his familiar dirty trick of loading up his elbow pad. Before he could use it, though , Sarge caught him in a boot to the midsection before sending him to the mat with the Slaughter Cannon. He wasn’t interested in pinning him, however, instead picking up Somers in the Cobra Clutch. Somers had nothing left in the tank and the ref called the match, while Sarge just let Somers drop to the mat. Rose was clearly livid as he led his partner away from the ring, as his partner was clearly in very rough shape.

Chris Adams vs. Bill Dundee

Adams has been having a series of epic time limit draw matches for various singles titles, but has declared that he will not rest until he has singles gold around his waist. No title was on the line in this match, but Adams was clearly looking to prove himself against the Australian veteran. So determined was Adams to establish his credentials that he ordered his manager, Sheikh Adnan Al-Kaissie, to return to the locker room so that he had no “distractions” for his match. This clearly didn’t please the Sheikh but he acquiesced, leaving Adams on his own to demonstrate his skill. And demonstrate he did, dazzling the crowd as he and Dundee displayed expert matwork and counter-wrestling until Dundee attempted to put him away with a piledriver , only to get caught in a small package that gave the win to the match. Both men shook hands after the match as the crowd cheered in approval.

The Can-Am Express vs. Kevin Sullivan & Ron Simmons

If any team could be said to not be on the same page, it would be Sullivan and Simmons. Sullivan was extremely upset with Simmons as he had just gotten word that the former Florida State Seminole has teamed with former Varsity Club Rush candidate Leon White for a match in Japan. Simmons, for his part, had been greatly angered by the news that, while he was in Japan, Sullivan had cut his good friend Brian Pillman from the Varsity Club Rush. This made for an explosive situation, with both men seemingly more focused on arguing with each other than fighting the Can-Ams. This made for a recepie for disaster, a disaster that looked like it would be averted when Simmons caught Lafon in the Seminole Slam. But it was Sullivan who was the legal man in the ring, and who ate a Zenk Superkick for the one two three. After the match, Sullivan lit into Simmons, berating him for not breaking up the pin. Simmons finally had enough of Sullivan’s mouth and gave him a mighty backhand slap, sending him flying across the ring. As Simmons stalked up the aisle to the locker room, Sullivan struggle to his feet and demanded the ringside microphone.

Sullivan : Simmons! I knew you were going to be trouble from the moment I scouted you, but I thought I could make something of you. So I took special precautions … when I brought you into the AWA, I made sure I was in charge of your contract, and held onto it. If you don’t come back here and apologize to me, you’re not just out of the Varsity Club … you’re out of the AWA!

The crowd was stunned as Simmons stopped in his tracks. After a long pause, he turned around and walked back to the ring. Stepping inside, he stared at Sullivan for a long while, then finally, reluctantly, offered his hand as a conciliatory gesture. Scowling, Sullivan shook his hand … then Simmons swiftly pulled him in and powerslammed him! He then stood Sullivan up, and came off the ropes with a jarring flying shoulder tackle! Simmons followed up by whipping Sullivan into the ropes and crushed him with a spinebuster slam! Jeff Gaylord and Darryl Peterson charged out to attack him, but stopped dead in their tracks as Simmons stood in the ring while making a “come on” gesture with his hands, daring them to try something. They didn’t dare, just staring at him with their mouths open , not moving a muscle even when he walked past them on his way to the door. As the crowd cheered his name, Simmons turned around and raised his fist in defiance before exiting through the door. Ron Simmons may be gone from the AWA, but he is going out a legend.

Nice to see Pillman off the leash.

What a tough week the Youngbloods are having: Fly to Japan to take on Anjo and Kido. Fly back to America and take on the British Bullies. Talk about tough, stiff matches! Then back on the 'plane for another go in Japan. Looks like they are up to the challenge, though.

Guerreros holding on to their titles by the slimmest of margins!

Sarge looking very tough. I am looking forward to his rematch with Bigelow at the JRMC.

Adams vs Dundee sounds like a show-stealer.

VERY satisfying end to the AWA chapter of the Ron Simmons story. I'm pleased the JWA could play a part in telling that tale.

So much good stuff going on that gordi covered really well. Sullivan may not be having success with Simmons or Pillman, but Gaylord, Peterson and Furnas all seem to be doing well. Doug Somers was in way over his head there. Taylor and Jones working on top would have been fun to watch. And good on Simmons for telling Sullivan off in the best kind of way.

AWA show from the Mecca, Milwaukee, April 18th (as shown on ESPN / TSN Super Cards)

Hector Guerrero vs. Bill Dundee

Hector was attempting a double underhook suplex, but Dundee blocked it and countered with an inside cradle for the win

Brian Pillman & The Can-Am Express vs. Kevin Sullivan, Darryl Peterson & Jeff Gaylord

Sullivan went down to a Superkick from Zenk

Fit Finlay vs. Greg Gagne

Finlay executed a brutal leaping double footstomp in the corner to score the victory

The Great Kabuki & Nord The Barbarian vs. Ken Patera & Jerry Blackwell

A brawl that went to a double DQ finish

Masa Saito vs. Shane Douglas

Douglas put up a valiant struggle before ultimately giving up to the Prison Lock

Roddy Piper & Bob Orton vs. Jake Roberts & Cactus Jack

Another crazy match ending with Jake hitting the DDT on Orton

AWA World Tag Team Title Match : Buddy Rose & Doug Somers © vs. The Razor Boys

The Razor Boys brought everything they could to try to finally wrest the titles from Playboy After Dark. Perez had Rose set up for the German Suplex when Somers came in with the loaded elbow pad. However, Somers was intercepted by Diamond with a leaping clothesline, and Perez hit the German Suplex for the one two three. The Razor Boys are the new World Tag Team Champions.

AWA World Title Match : Ricky Steamboat © vs. Larry Zbyszko

Larry Z put up a long and intense challenge to Steamboat’s World Title before finally going down to the Flying Cross Body Press

Great AWA TV as usual. Pillman seems to be a real crowd pleaser, no doubt better off on his own. Guerreros might be slipping in solo matches but they continue to be successful in defending their 6 man titles. Sarge makes a huge statement, putting Sommers to sleep. Adams might be taking a page from Pillman's book by realizing he might be better off on his own. What a way to end the show! Simmons standing tall! BTW, I really love the effort you put into the description of not only the match itself but what's going on with all the wrestlers.

Nice to see Zenk and Pillman teaming up in that 6 man tag. Of all people in the AWA, Greg Gagne just cant seem to find his way. Things like this is why I love this Fantasy world. Jake and Jack get a big win over Piper and Orton. Oh Snap! It's the Razor Boys who end the long reign of Sommers and Rose! Wow! I got to give it to Playboy After Dark, they had one heck of a run. Looking forward to the reign of the Razor Boys. Larry Z puts up a fight but Steamboat has to much momentum going right now.