Roman Reigns as the ace post-Wrestlemania

• Please log in to reply
512 replies to this topic

#41 Mad Dog

Mad Dog
  • Members
  • 5754 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:37 PM

I don't have a problem with his inring work. I think he's kind of dull but I think a lot of guys are dull. Where I get annoyed with Reigns is the fact that they got handed far more interesting storylines and possibilities throughout the year. And we weren't allowed to enjoy any of it because we just had to have that Lesnar/Reigns rematch that no one really wanted and they didn't really make you want to see through the year,

#42 El-P

El-P

NFLTG

• Members
  • 10036 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 03:29 AM

It is nuts that this will be his fourth WM main event in a row.

Yeah, that's the crazy part when you think they are still *trying* to have him cheer and basically have a coronation. No matter what anyone says about him getting the biggest reactions (hell, if he didn't after such a sustained push on top, it would be downright embarrassing. Again, this is the Triple H syndrome, push a guy long and hard enough, people will surrender, but not to the point of making him a real Ace like Hogan, Austin, Rock or Cena), the fact we're even discussing about how Reigns can have his big Ace championship stint after 4 Mania main events (did Rock even main event Mania four times ? Austin sure didn't. Hogan was one Mania removed from "passing the torch" after his fourth main event) tells everything you need to know about this issue.

#43 gordi

gordi

I call him Shohei because we are close like that

• Members
  • 2124 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 03:47 AM

Super positive reactions don't matter to the people that counts-the McMahons. If it mattered, you know we'd be about six months into a long Braun title reign by now.

That's pretty sad, because that's what pro-wrestling was about. Watch who gets over and push the hell out of them. Rusev could be a hot act. Braun should be the Monster Champ. Honestly, this all is a product of the monopoly. With WCW kicking their tale, there's no way WWE spends three Mania main events in a row on Reigns "becoming the Ace".

This is my biggest thing when it comes to Reigns. I don't love the guy, but I think he's a great wrestler and has improved as a promo by leaps and bounds. But so rarely does any wrestling promotion go with the hot hand or stray from the plan. There's no telling what they could have done with Braun if they made him the guy.

I don't wanna come across as a guy who only complains about WWE. I mean, I am pretty excited for WrestleMania this year...

... but ...

I am somehow 100 percent confident that, if they had decided to make Braun the guy they would have done it in such a way that at least half of us would hate Braun now. You know, book him as a Superman instead of a monster, or try to make him into the next Austin-style guy who is succeeding despite being held down (while forcing him down our throats) or have him find an old ventriloquist dummy that gives him advice...

#44 Slasher

Slasher
  • Members
  • 1844 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 06:56 AM

Super positive reactions don't matter to the people that counts-the McMahons. If it mattered, you know we'd be about six months into a long Braun title reign by now.

That's pretty sad, because that's what pro-wrestling was about. Watch who gets over and push the hell out of them. Rusev could be a hot act. Braun should be the Monster Champ. Honestly, this all is a product of the monopoly. With WCW kicking their tale, there's no way WWE spends three Mania main events in a row on Reigns "becoming the Ace".

This is my biggest thing when it comes to Reigns. I don't love the guy, but I think he's a great wrestler and has improved as a promo by leaps and bounds. But so rarely does any wrestling promotion go with the hot hand or stray from the plan. There's no telling what they could have done with Braun if they made him the guy.
I don't wanna come across as a guy who only complains about WWE. I mean, I am pretty excited for WrestleMania this year...

... but ...

I am somehow 100 percent confident that, if they had decided to make Braun the guy they would have done it in such a way that at least half of us would hate Braun now. You know, book him as a Superman instead of a monster, or try to make him into the next Austin-style guy who is succeeding despite being held down (while forcing him down our throats) or have him find an old ventriloquist dummy that gives him advice...

Not sure about that. Braun (and Rusev really) have shown an ability to rise above the material given to them. How many times have we seen the silly "fake twin" angle to tepid reactions? But Braun turned Brains into something people enjoyed. Rusev's even better, considering what he has to work with.

That said, I will admit that I think the WWE should not always react to crowds on every guy they have. Otherwise we'd have a failed Fandango title reign in the books by now (remember the Fandango craze?) But they need to do a better job pulling the trigger when they can confirm that a guy is really over and not ironically.

#45 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 44066 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:13 AM

Wait, we've seen the fake twin thing before?

#46 Gutenberger

Gutenberger

The German

• Members
  • 331 posts
  • Interests:Pro Wrestling (obviously), Football (The european version),
    Reading, Video Games, TV-Series, Movies, Comicbooks. . .

Posted 06 April 2018 - 08:26 AM

Wait, we've seen the fake twin thing before?

Wait, the twin was fake?

#47 NintendoLogic

NintendoLogic

Grim and frostbitten

• Members
  • 3081 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 12:18 PM

The thing is, the Cena experience taught Vince McMahon not to listen to crowds. And seeing as how he has finally achieved his dream of creating a product where the brand rather than any individual wrestler is the draw, he has no incentive to change course. As long as Reigns doesn't completely tank business or do anything to embarrass the company, he's The Guy for the foreseeable future.

As a side note, I rather dislike the use of the term "ace" to refer to the top guy in WWE. It's too much of a Japanism for my tastes. I blame jdw for popularizing it.

#48 shodate

shodate

Anarchist of PWO

• Banned
  • 544 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 12:23 PM

The thing is, the Cena experience taught Vince McMahon not to listen to crowds. And seeing as how he has finally achieved his dream of creating a product where the brand rather than any individual wrestler is the draw, he has no incentive to change course. As long as Reigns doesn't completely tank business or do anything to embarrass the company, he's The Guy for the foreseeable future.

As a side note, I rather dislike the use of the term "ace" to refer to the top guy in WWE. It's too much of a Japanism for my tastes. I blame jdw for popularizing it.

why do hate the term ace its is adopted from tennis its not a Japanism at all  

#49 peachchaos

peachchaos
  • Members
  • 1104 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 12:41 PM

more likely baseball than tennis, no?

and the sporting terms more than likely derived from playing cards

#50 FMKK

FMKK
  • Members
  • 1084 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 12:47 PM

It seems highly unlikely that one can compare John Cena to an unreturned serve.

#51 shodate

shodate

Anarchist of PWO

• Banned
  • 544 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 01:00 PM

It seems highly unlikely that one can compare John Cena to an unreturned serve.

the context  the ace is  as unequaled in that 20x20 or 18x18 of 16x16 than that sreve  is 

#52 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 11153 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 01:16 PM

The top pitcher in the rotation is called the ace, which seems a more direct comparison than the tennis term. 

#53 El-P

El-P

NFLTG

• Members
  • 10036 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 01:19 PM

What the fuck happened to this thread ?

#54 FMKK

FMKK
  • Members
  • 1084 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 03:20 PM

Trolling

#55 shodate

shodate

Anarchist of PWO

• Banned
  • 544 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 03:41 PM

Trolling

im not a troll  in any way  i just hold very odd views

#56 DMJ

DMJ
  • Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 05:52 PM

Shifting this back on course...

I'd love to see Reigns get a nice long run with the belt. As someone else mentioned, he has some real contenders that he would work well against - Balor would be my first challenger, then maybe Owens/Zayn if they come to RAW (though I'm not an Owens fan right now), all leading to either the eventual Shield 3-way at SummerSlam or just Dean Ambrose (who will have turned heel on Reigns by then) at SummerSlam. You know the minute Ambrose "turns heel," the crowd is going to get behind him even more too. Eventually, Braun comes-a-calling in the fall. (Of course, there's also rumors around Lashley and Batista I won't even get into)

As much as I love Joe and Miz, I actually think they'd be better used against other opponents rather than challenging Reigns in 2018. Joe would be stupendous on SmackDown - vs. Bryan, vs. Nakamura (I liked their NXT matches alright), vs. Styles obviously. Miz, meanwhile, is probably the only guy that could make me care about Rollins or Balor right now. Basically, you can insert any babyface against The Miz and you've got a decent #2 or #3 program on the RAW side (see what he did vs. Ziggler in 2016). 

So, yeah, you can call him the ace or just the "top babyface" or whatever, but Reigns has plenty of angles/storylines that could work ahead of him and there's no reason he should be taking a backseat to anyone, including Strowman (as entertaining as he is), following Mania.

#57 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 11153 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 06:00 PM

Man, I'm at the point where I just want him to get his crowning moment already so we can get past it. Like others have stated, it's been frustrating to see WWE pass on better potential stories/pushes because everything was written for Roman vs Brock. 

#58 SteveJRogers

SteveJRogers
  • Members
  • 905 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 06:06 PM

Trolling

im not a troll  in any way  i just hold very odd views

Considering Japan's obsessive love for baseball, I'm mildly surprised you didn't pick up Wrestling Promotion Ace being comparable to Ace Pitcher of a baseball team's starting rotation.

#59 SteveJRogers

SteveJRogers
  • Members
  • 905 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:20 PM

FWIW, for comparison of where Reigns stands, here is the multiple Last Match on the WM card guys list:

8 Hogan 85 86 87 89 90 91 92 93

7 Triple H 00 02 04 05 06 09 16

5 Shawn 96 98 04 07 10

5 The Rock 99 00 01 12 13

5 Cena 06 07 11 12 13

4 Undertaker 97 08 10 17

3 Austin 98 99 01

3 Reigns 15 16 17

2 Savage 88 89

2 Sid 92 97

2 Yokozuna 93 94

2 Bret 94 96

2 Brock 03 15

2 Batista 05 14

2 Randy Orton 09 14

And for what its worth, here is the list of the "One Timers"

Mr T 85

Orndorff 85

Piper 85

Bundy 86

Andre 87

DiBiase 88

Warrior 90

Slaughter 91

LT 95

Bigelow 95

Big Show 00

Foley 00

Jericho 02

Angle 03

Benoit 04

Edge 08

Miz 11

Bryan 14

Rollins 15

#60 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5590 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 08:00 PM

I'd argue Rollins doesn't belong on that list anymore than Papa Shango or Warrior belong for Mania 8.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users