Pro Wrestling Only

[2018-04-05-EVOLVE 102] Daisuke Sekimoto & Munenori Sawa vs Ringkampf (WALTER & Timothy Thatcher)

ShittyLittleBoots

Looking at this match on paper, I knew there was way NO WAY this wouldn't bang. And it sure banged HARD. Phenomenal FIP segments w/ Daisuke & Thatcher, the chop exchanges between WALTER & Daisuke were brutal + Sawa hasn't lost a step since the last time I saw, which was his previous EVOLVE appearance vs. Danielson. Excellent match. ****

Now we're talking. Its must be at least 10 years since I've seen Sekimoto. Still looks freaky as hell, in a good way. That's a pro-wrestler. Sawa is how I remembered him. Terrific match. WALTER vs Sekimoto trading chops was as ridiculous as it was fun. Excellent match indeed, and WALTER looks like a can't miss prospect.

Sawa is an incredibly fun watch. For someone apparently wrestling for the first time in 7 years he was in great shape and ridiculously quick. His strikes and holds were a lot of fun and he had a terrific presence, as does everyone in this match in their own unique way. I really liked the layout with heat on Sekimoto building Sawa's hot tag, followed by a stretch where the Japanese duo got to show off on Thatcher. Everything Walter did looked typically great and strong. He's one of the few wrestlers who always seems to maintain the perfect pace at every stretch of a match. Good stuff that deserved a bigger crowd.

***3/4

When I originally saw this match on paper, I was thrilled and thought it'd be a MOTYC, however it never reached that level and I thought it was a bit underwhelming, although it was still a really good match. I maybe Sekimoto's biggest fan on here as I usually dig the muscleheads -- Sekimoto, Ishii, Cobb, etc. I dug the beatdown on Sekimoto and the fiery tag to Sawa. Thatcher countering Sawa's Irabu punch into a Fujiwara armbar was awesome. Kudos to Thatcher (who's someone I usually dig) for actually locking in a nasty looking heel hook instead of just going for the lazy fake kneebar that a lot of guys seem to apply. The Sekimoto and WALTER exchanges were pretty cool, but it never reached the level of the PCO match from JJSB2.

• GSR changed the title to [2018-04-05-EVOLVE 102] Daisuke Sekimoto & Munenori Sawa vs Ringkampf (WALTER & Timothy Thatcher)