Pro Wrestling Only

[2018-04-05-GCW-Matt Riddle's Bloodsport] Minoru Suzuki vs Matt Riddle

KawadaSmile

I fucking love the premise of Bloodsport. It seems to me like a logical progression of what shoot-style federations like RINGS would look like today.

Also, the match was really fun. The sense of struggle to get the better positioning, and no man actually getting a hold locked in properly only adds to the "it can end at any second" drama. Also, gotta love how they work around not having ropes into the game of chess that is the fight for domination.

Some really, really fun stuff with a cool setup. Low Ki would be fucked

Really enjoyed this. Wonderful sense of struggle and the aesthetic of the no ropes set up mixes well with how these two worked the match. Lots of posturing, struggles for holds, and some stiff, stiff strikes. I'm not an expert on anything shoot style but I thought this was a fun offering for people to potentially get into it.

***3/4

It was fun for what is was, but not particulary good either. Watched way too much old shoot-style and great Suzuki matches to be overly enthousiastic about this. The elevated ring with no rope is dumb as fuck and very dangerous.

I fucking love the premise of Bloodsport. It seems to me like a logical progression of what shoot-style federations like RINGS would look like today.

To me it was exactly the opposite. I have loved shoot-style, but these days where MMA is a legit sport, this looked like the best of the shittiest worked-shoot of early PRIDE and the most boring RINGS undercard stuff which was always a chore to get through. This is dated and not interesting as a revival to me.

This match was fun. What I liked most about it was that it was short and had at least some competitive grappling. The striking looked silly, and there wasn't anything to sink your teeth in, but it's a perfectly fine three star match with at least an attempt to do something else other than the dreaded trendy rope jump prowres.

This was really fun and it carried somewhat of a big fight feel with it, but that maybe due to Suzuki's presence working the indy scene. I dug how they used the no rope rules to their advantage when setting up submissions. Riddle teasing diving to the floor while Suzuki has his back in the rear naked choke was great and Riddle passing out from the choke and not riding it out for 5 minutes like a lot of guys do before tapping out is the way to go with that move. Good stuff.

• 2 months later...

MOTYC for me. Young phantom vs. the maestro. I don't usually like Riddle but he was pretty great here. I think facing Suzuki forced him to cut the crap and just play to his strengths. Loved him sneaking in strikes whenever he had an opening on the ground. Strong grappling, struggle and purposeful, intense strike exchanges. Compact layout. ****

• GSR changed the title to [2018-04-05-GCW-Matt Riddle's Bloodsport] Minoru Suzuki vs Matt Riddle