AJPW 2018 Champions Carnival

Richeyedwards

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 11

A Block: Shingo Takagi defeated Ryoji Sai in 11 mins

A Block: Shuji Ishikawa (FREE) defeated The Bodyguard in 4 mins, bodyguard was still struggling with his leg

B Block: Suwama defeated Naomichi Marufuji in 19 mins

B Block: Zeus defeated Jun Akiyama in 19 mins

Day 12

A Block: Ryoji Sai defeated Shuji ishikawa in 17 mins

B Block: Naomichi Marufuji defeated KAI in 15 mins

B Block: Yoshitatsu defeated SUWAMA in 16 mins

A Block: Joe Doering defeated Kento Miyahara in 13 mins

Day 13

A Block: Shingo Takagi defeated Naoya Nomura in 10 mins

B Block: Yutaka Yoshie defeated Yoshitatsu in 11 mins

B Block: KAI defeated Zeus in 14 mins

B Block:Dylan James defeated SUWAMA in 7 mins

B Block: Naomichi Marufuji defeated Jun Akiyama in 21 mins

With his victory over Akiyama Maru has won B Block and will head on to the final also in Korakuen later this month.

Jake lee also made another apperance and stated that in the future he wants to face Kento, Yuma and Naoya meaning that he is leaving NEXSTREAM he will return on the may Korakuen.

Akiyama vs Maru was great, Maru still had some of his usual issues with his offense varying wildly between really still and really silly looking, Akiyama however was amazing, he was wrestleing like a man possessed. He has shown in this tourny between his matches with Maru, Zeus, Yoshie and James has shown he can wrestle really good to great matches with a variety of opponents. I would love to see him return to the singles ranks again.

Today's final round robin day ended up being my favorite wrestling show of the year so far by some considerable margin.

On the show:

Aoki and okada defeated Iwamoto and Ishikiri

Fuchi Nishimura and Tatsu defeated omori Maruyama and tajiri

In an incredible 8 man that came from nowhere Zeus, Suwama, Akiyama and sato defeated KAI, Yoshie, dylan james and Nakajima. Nakajima gave a 1991 era Kikuchi performance as he was destroyed by Akiyama and Suwama.

A Block: Bodyguard defeated ryoji Sai

A Block: Nomura defeated Doering in a match that was good but had a flat ending that really hurt what should have been a massive moment for Nomura

A Block: Ishikawa defeated Shingo

A Block: Kento defeated Yino

Your Final is Kento Miyahara vs Naomichi Marufuji and that match will take place tomorrow.

A Block Final standings:

Kento Miyahara: 10 points

Joe doering, Yuji Hino, Shuji Ishikawa and Shingo Takagi: 8 points

Ryoji Sai: 6 points

The Bodyguard, Naoya Nomura: 4 points

On the finals show:

Omori and Yoshie defeated Nishimura and Fuchi in a fun opener with plenty of comedy as expected

Iwamoto Nakajima and Maruyama defeated aoki, Sato and Okada in an elimination match after Maruyama eliminated both sato and Aoki in quick succession. Maruyama will likely get the next shot at aoki for the jr title.

Violence giants defeated tatsu and Nomura. this was another good match Tatsu put in a good performance.

Next we had intermission, I missed most of this as the fire alarm went off in my block of flats. Yuma Ayoagi made an appearance and spoke about his return, we will come back on june 5th on the final ever differ ariake show.

Doering, Akiyama and Yuji Hino defeated Zeus, bodyguard and Shingo in a great match that was incredibly stiff and violent. Akiyama has gone full 2000s Tenryu over the cc and it is great while Zeus and Hino had a chop battle that would have made Kobashi and Sasaki proud. This match was the 6 man equivalent of Kawada vs Sasaki from 2000, big, dumb, grumpy and very stiff with an excellent crowd.

2018 champions carnival final: B Block winner Naomichi Marufuji defeated A Block winner Kento Miyahara in Just under 25 minutes in another great match. I Was apprehensive going into this match as Marufuji can more often than not be really quite bad as a heavyweight in big main events but thankfully here he was very good and Kento was amazing. Marufuji winning is extremely interesting as he now, if he wishes gets a shot at kento for the triple crown. However, before the cc he had said he did not want the triple crown but in his post match speech he said that he would want to fight Kento again this time back 'home'. Marufuji has a GHC title shot against Suguira Next month this leads me an some others to think that he could win there and set up a Triple Crown vs GHC title match for Sumo hall in September for Maru's 20th anniversary show. I don't think that NOAH have a match big enough to headline that show on their own but this match could. Even if Maru is not GHC champ having him challenge Kento for the belt in NOAH could be a big enough match.

I was surprised they'd have Marufuji go over and then just run another title match, but a cross-promoted show or Kento simply doing a one-off there makes sense. I do sort of have to laugh though at Noah putting the belt back on Sugiura and then potentially back on Marufuji when they seemed to be at their hottest pushing a different act like Kenoh.

That should say that he is not challenging for it yet, he said he was focusing on the GHC challenge first. That tweet was written as he was speaking before a translation came through and was based on the interview Maru had before the tourny when he said he may not challenge as he was more focused on the GHC, this has been misconstrued that he is never challenging for the belt. There is no way that AJPW let an outsider, from NOAH no less win the champions carnival and pinning their ace in the final without something coming from it.

That should say that he is not challenging for it yet, he said he was focusing on the GHC challenge first. That tweet was written as he was speaking before a translation came through and was based on the interview Maru had before the tourny when he said he may not challenge as he was more focused on the GHC, this has been misconstrued that he is never challenging for the belt. There is no way that AJPW let an outsider, from NOAH no less win the champions carnival and pinning their ace in the final without something coming from it.

sorry to be pedantic but was not Maru trained at AJ dojo

sorry to be pedantic but was not Maru trained at AJ dojo

I never said he wasn't, but he is a representative of Noah and has worked there for 18 of his 20 years in wrestling.

Apparently ignore my previous few posts as today it has come out that Maru will challenge Kento for the triple crown in korakuen on 25th of May. I assume the plan has changed for how things were to be booked. Maru will now be challenging for the Triple Crown and GHC titles within 4 days. I would expect Kento to get his win back there.

Ok, now that makes way more sense.

Maru's comments have made all this very confusing and I am not a fan of the placement of the matches as making maru lose twice could make him look bad but if he wins one and loses the other it makes the person he beats look bad. It is all very messy.

While I haven't watched everything, I have to say this was a really good tournament. Some really fun match-ups with some four star-caliber affairs sprinkled here and there leading to a fantastic stretch of final matches (Shingo-Shuji, Marufuji-Jun, Kento-Hino, Kento-Marufuji).

Definitely a step-up from last year.