• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 Richeyedwards

Richeyedwards

King of typos

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 10:49 AM

That should say that he is not challenging for it yet, he said he was focusing on the GHC challenge first. That tweet was written as he was speaking before a translation came through and was based on the interview Maru had before the tourny when he said he may not challenge as he was more focused on the GHC, this has been misconstrued that he is never challenging for the belt. There is no way that AJPW let an outsider, from NOAH no less win the champions carnival and pinning their ace in the final without something coming from it.

sorry to be pedantic but was not  Maru trained at AJ dojo   

I never said he wasn't, but he is a representative of Noah and has worked there for 18 of his 20 years in wrestling.

#42 superkix

superkix
  • Members
  • 845 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 01:59 PM

Pretty fun CC overall. Nothing that's going to make a MOTY list but really great performances from Akiyama in particular and Shingo works well as the feisty little DG guy. 

#43 Boss Rock

Boss Rock
  • Members
  • 717 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 02:09 PM

Saw that attendance was way up this year from last.

#44 Richeyedwards

Richeyedwards

King of typos

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 02:10 PM

Attendance for the three Korakuens were 1534, 1608 and 1697

#45 Richeyedwards

Richeyedwards

King of typos

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 04:02 AM

Apparently ignore my previous few posts as today it has come out that Maru will challenge Kento for the triple crown in korakuen on 25th of May. I assume the plan has changed for how things were to be booked. Maru will now be challenging for the Triple Crown and GHC titles within 4 days. I would expect Kento to get his win back there.

#46 Jmare007

Jmare007
  • Members
  • 1543 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 08:50 AM

Ok, now that makes way more sense.

#47 Richeyedwards

Richeyedwards

King of typos

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 08:56 AM

Ok, now that makes way more sense.

Maru's comments have made all this very confusing and I am not a fan of the placement of the matches as making maru lose twice could make him look bad but if he wins one and loses the other it makes the person he beats look bad. It is all very messy.

#48 Boss Rock

Boss Rock
  • Members
  • 717 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:46 AM

I wonder if they're gonna let freelancers work both. Because unless that is the case or AJPW and Noah are partnering up, no way Marufuji beats Kento.

#49 Jmare007

Jmare007
  • Members
  • 1543 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 07:56 PM

Maru is pretty much made at this point, there's no risk in him jobbing to Kento and even jobbing to Sugiura, though I think he might win the latter one.

#50 Boss Rock

Boss Rock
  • Members
  • 717 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:15 AM

While I haven't watched everything, I have to say this was a really good tournament. Some really fun match-ups with some four star-caliber affairs sprinkled here and there leading to a fantastic stretch of final matches (Shingo-Shuji, Marufuji-Jun, Kento-Hino, Kento-Marufuji).

Definitely a step-up from last year.

#51 G. Badger

G. Badger

Viceroy of Catlandia

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • Location:In my chair, watching Lou Reed press interviews from the 70's

Posted 05 May 2018 - 10:13 AM

Very very excited to hear that this was a good Carnival. Saw a good deal of the 2016 CC and while it did have a couple great little matches, it was a little lackluster. 2018 sounds fantastic and I'm going to check it out.

#52 G. Badger

G. Badger

Viceroy of Catlandia

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:07 PM

Yeah, this has been a really great CC. I started out cherry picking about 7-8 matches that I wanted to see and then, be satisfied. However, I just keep watching more and more. Shingo is killing it, Zeus has improved so much that I might try and watch all of his matches (simple but effective matches), KAI is a great addition, and Marufuji is seemingly having a great match every time.

The big guys like SUWAMA & Akiyama are still bringing it too. I've got to see more Hino & Ishikawa.

Not going to watch every match but, yeah this blows the last Carnival I saw outta the water.

#53 Boss Rock

Boss Rock
  • Members
  • 717 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:51 AM

Shuji-Shingo is definitely match of the tournament.

#54 G. Badger

G. Badger

Viceroy of Catlandia

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:55 PM

I agree! The 04/21 & 04/29 shows were extremely good with a couple ****+ matches each. If anyone wants to cherry pick a couple shows/matches, I would recommend those two then, the final. The 29th & Final were both a Korakuen so, the atmosphere is great. IIRC they looked like capacity crowds which bodes well for the future of AJPW.

#55 Boss Rock

Boss Rock
  • Members
  • 717 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 02:08 PM

Yep, reports showed that attendance was up from last year's CC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users