Pro Wrestling Only

[2018-04-05-Mark Hitchcock Memorial SuperShow] Tomohiro Ishii vs Jeff Cobb

Edwin

First time I saw Matanza without the hood. I wouldn't have pictured him as a semi-fat Hawaiian amateur wrestler. Mythbuster.

The match was really good though. Cobb definitely belongs in NJ, but I enjoy him as Matanza better, as he's not the most charismatic guy ever and he doesn't look super menacing. Ishii, well, is Ishii no matter who he faces. The journey of this guy is pretty amazing, from random WAR rookie guy to a legit great worker in his later day as a NJ mainstay.

• 1 month later...

Cobb is the one of the ultimate "you need to see him live" guys, because I had only seen him on video, and it does not come across just how massive a human being he is. As in "Oh, of course they decided to cast this dude as a monster who eats people." Here, he went from a guy I liked to a guy I'm a huge fan of, because he found that next gear and killer instinct that he's missing a lot of the time. For a guy who can be accused of being overly patterned and samey, Ishii had three really strong matches in 48 hours that were completely different, and this one was a strong candidate for best match of the weekend. Really want to see Cobb against more top international names like this so he can keep growing as a worker. This was half of the best back to back pair of matches I've ever seen live (since Rey Horus/Rey Fenix vs. Flamita/Bandido was up next) and a huge part of what made a super adrenalizing show a blast.

Holy crap, this was awesome. The elbow exchange which I typically find an arbitrary addition to New Japan main events felt organic and made for a hot start to the match. It starts out somewhat methodically as they try to feel each other out and one up each other's power but once Cobb starts hitting those Germans, this really goes into the next gear. I lost my mind for when Cobb caught the Sliding Lariat and that was just one of many wonderful spots in this match. Great stuff here.

****1/2

The first ever meeting between the Stone Pitbull and Mr Athletic himself in a great physical war. Jeff Cobb in New Japan can be a great thing, and there was no better example than Cobb showing he could not only match up to Ishii, but even dominate him at points. Cobb would be the perfect candidate to be in the G1, and I hope it’s this year, ****1/4.

• GSR changed the title to [2018-04-05-Mark Hitchcock Memorial SuperShow] Tomohiro Ishii vs Jeff Cobb