Pro Wrestling Only

Who Booked This? The Podcast Thread

Grimmas

Has the Gannosuke & Hayabusa Anus Explosion Death Match been covered anywhere before? Because if not, then THAT.

It could be fun to hear Steven's thoughts on Lance Storm vs Mike Awesome in that atrocious Canadian Rules match at some point, too.

I LOVE the Canadian Rules Hardcore match. I watched it sometime this year and it still holds up (in my view anyways). Heels being heels and ensuring the hometown guy wins because of obscure pro wrestling rules. Much like the Duchess of Queensbury match in WWE. I love it! You better not add this to the show Steven!! :)

Just because most of the stuff we watch for the show sucks, doesn't mean it all has to suck!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://soundcloud.com/prowrestlingonly/wbt07

The Golden Grahams return to cover the WON Worst Match of the Year from 2012, it's Johnny Ace vs Johnny Cena.

Seriously what was Johnny Ace's plan here? Who gave them this match time? Why was this Vince McMahon's favourite match of all time?

Put your requests for what you want to watch in this thread, we're only doing requested matches going forward!

The ace crusher making an appearance would have made that match get all the stars from me, if he couldn't of gotten kobashi at least the patriot or Shane Douglas to reform the dynamic dudes.

I request that I doubt you would ever do based on your hatred of Russo would be the 'match' and segments surrounding Hulk Hogan Vs Jeff Jarrett bash at the beach 2000. A finger poke of doom lite scenario, several shoot promos and the show being rebooked on live ppv. Just a complete shower of shit.

The ace crusher making an appearance would have made that match get all the stars from me, if he couldn't of gotten kobashi at least the patriot or Shane Douglas to reform the dynamic dudes.

I request that I doubt you would ever do based on your hatred of Russo would be the 'match' and segments surrounding Hulk Hogan Vs Jeff Jarrett bash at the beach 2000. A finger poke of doom lite scenario, several shoot promos and the show being rebooked on live ppv. Just a complete shower of shit.

We have a Russo every 3 months rule, so it can be watched. I will add it to the list!

Are you guys just limiting this to matches. I feel like that awful Nitro angle with Piper picking out a team for Uncensored in 1997 would be an interesting watch.

We are open to anything, I think. As long as there is enough to talk about for 30ish minutes.

I'll put that angle on the list.

Just did Cena vs Ace (loved the show, laughed all through it) and my dudes I have been BALLS DEEP in 2012 lately so let's go.

I was reviewing the shows in 2012 so I found my write up from the time and it turns out I had an alternate theory about the finish - that Ace wasn't in cahoots with Show at all. Show was already fired, he came out to genuinely bring Ace back to the ring to get beat by Cena for Show to get some measure of revenge on Ace (you may wonder why he was in the building at all in that case but whatever), and when Ace was begging with Show in the ring he promised him on the spot to give his job back if he helped him instead, and Show was so desperate for his job that he took the bait and made a snap decision to go heel right there. No swerve. But I have zero desire to watch the match again now to see how this theory holds up.

I do remember the match itself being a piece of shit and doing the ten second count thing meant that Ace lasted longer in the STF than 90% of the roster at the time which was ridiculous and pissed me off.

No Way Out wasn't the worst show really. Santino/Ricardo sucked, but they did have fun comedy matches on TV around the same time. This one just didn't land. Christian/Cody and the tag match and Punk/Bryan/Kane were all pretty good, I liked the cage match by the end (it blew off all the Ace/Show stuff really well), and Sheamus vs Dolph is FANTASTIC. It's probably on average a better show than OTL was.

That Divas battle royal you mentioned from the list was not good, particularly early but it had a good finish at least. It wasn't the worst Divas battle royal to take place on Raw in 2012, to put it that way.

Just did Cena vs Ace (loved the show, laughed all through it) and my dudes I have been BALLS DEEP in 2012 lately so let's go.

I was reviewing the shows in 2012 so I found my write up from the time and it turns out I had an alternate theory about the finish - that Ace wasn't in cahoots with Show at all. Show was already fired, he came out to genuinely bring Ace back to the ring to get beat by Cena for Show to get some measure of revenge on Ace (you may wonder why he was in the building at all in that case but whatever), and when Ace was begging with Show in the ring he promised him on the spot to give his job back if he helped him instead, and Show was so desperate for his job that he took the bait and made a snap decision to go heel right there. No swerve. But I have zero desire to watch the match again now to see how this theory holds up.

I do remember the match itself being a piece of shit and doing the ten second count thing meant that Ace lasted longer in the STF than 90% of the roster at the time which was ridiculous and pissed me off.

No Way Out wasn't the worst show really. Santino/Ricardo sucked, but they did have fun comedy matches on TV around the same time. This one just didn't land. Christian/Cody and the tag match and Punk/Bryan/Kane were all pretty good, I liked the cage match by the end (it blew off all the Ace/Show stuff really well), and Sheamus vs Dolph is FANTASTIC. It's probably on average a better show than OTL was.

That Divas battle royal you mentioned from the list was not good, particularly early but it had a good finish at least. It wasn't the worst Divas battle royal to take place on Raw in 2012, to put it that way.

Thanks Stacy. People laughing with us, without being mean spirited is the goal of the show.

I guess your theory could make sense too, but it remains the execution was so awful that who knows what they were actually thinking?

I can't recall the show, just going with the WON voters. Two matches on the worst of the year list is pretty bad. Although worst match, we are learning, is kind of a bad category.

Fun episode. I think it's fair to say the match is shit though if you can't see what's going on. I don't give the punjabi prison a partial pass for that type of thing either.

Besides the Japanese women tag match, the Sting and Flair match is fun on this show, one of their more overlooked matches imo. In terms of worst matches...it's either the main event or it's the Duggan and Rogers undercard match.

A giant in every ring:

The Giant,

The Yetay

And Hogan???

"The one true giant of the wrestling world!" lmfao

I've always heard that Giant Gonzalez was planned to be the Yeti orginally, and then was planned for this match. But he couldn't make it and didn't end up in WCW (Visa issues is the most consistent report out there that I recall off hand.)

As for who booked it...I mean, clearly Hogan had a big hand in this match. It was originally a #1 contenders match, then suddenly it's for the title, and Hogan does his BS at the end, even though he's not going to be at Starrcade and going to be off TV...the paranoia is obvious. Kevin Sullivan was the main booker at this time, and he put himself in the same ring as Hogan. Bischoff tends to insist he wasn't very involved in creative until 1996, but I've got to wonder, given that this event was repeated so many times in his run, including I think periods where Sullivan was taking time off.

Fun episode. I think it's fair to say the match is shit though if you can't see what's going on. I don't give the punjabi prison a partial pass for that type of thing either.

Besides the Japanese women tag match, the Sting and Flair match is fun on this show, one of their more overlooked matches imo. In terms of worst matches...it's either the main event or it's the Duggan and Rogers undercard match.

A giant in every ring:

The Giant,

The Yetay

And Hogan???

"The one true giant of the wrestling world!" lmfao

I've always heard that Giant Gonzalez was planned to be the Yeti orginally, and then was planned for this match. But he couldn't make it and didn't end up in WCW (Visa issues is the most consistent report out there that I recall off hand.)

As for who booked it...I mean, clearly Hogan had a big hand in this match. It was originally a #1 contenders match, then suddenly it's for the title, and Hogan does his BS at the end, even though he's not going to be at Starrcade and going to be off TV...the paranoia is obvious. Kevin Sullivan was the main booker at this time, and he put himself in the same ring as Hogan. Bischoff tends to insist he wasn't very involved in creative until 1996, but I've got to wonder, given that this event was repeated so many times in his run, including I think periods where Sullivan was taking time off.

I have heard about the third giant that it was supposed to be giant Gonzalez but I have no idea if that was just a rumour, it is good to know that I was not the only one to hear about that.

I really like how you guys are presenting terrible wresting and have managed to do it in a different way than Wrestlecrap tended to approach things. It feels really fresh.

Thank you.

To be honest, I was trying to crib the "How did this get made" podcast, which looks at bad movies. Kind of wanted a fun, but not mean show. Glad it's working for you, it's fun to record.

Hardcore Elimination Chamber might deserve an in a vacuum look.

Sure even looking at it from a story telling standpoint with Punk and RVD getting tossed early its bad, but I dont think its as bad when you look at it knowing everything about the show, Heymans issues leading up to the show, and his ouster afterwards, etc.

Here you go!

https://soundcloud.com/prowrestlingonly/wbt9

The Golden Grahams are here to talk the Extreme Elimination Chamber, as requested by Steve J. Rogers at prowrestlingonly.com. We can talk about your match by requesting it there, or @StevenGrahamTWS on twitter.

A match that sunk a brand, we talk about the match plus CM Punk, TNA history, politics, and we have a power outage. This show is a clusterfuck, just like this match?

I totally forgot that TNA did so many box gimmicks, my bad.

My request is for the Knockouts Lockbox Challenge which was for the women's title (amongst other things), that aired on Impact 5th April 2010. I hate to pile on but it was like a show long angle where they did the match, then the reveals, then the consequences kind of thing.

They also did Feast or Fired which was where there were multiple briefcases to get and like, one or more was for a title shot and one got you fired, which is what y'all were also thinking of.

I totally forgot that TNA did so many box gimmicks, my bad.

My request is for the Knockouts Lockbox Challenge which was for the women's title (amongst other things), that aired on Impact 5th April 2010. I hate to pile on but it was like a show long angle where they did the match, then the reveals, then the consequences kind of thing.

They also did Feast or Fired which was where there were multiple briefcases to get and like, one or more was for a title shot and one got you fired, which is what y'all were also thinking of.

JR has found me a Knockouts Lookbox Challenge from TV and we will watch that. I hope it's the same one. Either way, I assume it would qualify!