Pro Wrestling Only

[1975-04-14-WWWF-MSG, NY] Bruno Sammartino vs Spiros Arion (Greek Death)

cactus

A Greek Death match is just a no holds barred submission match. Spiros Arion wishes he possesses an inch of charisma his manager Freddie Blassie has. Guy looks dull as dishwasher water standing next to the Fashion Plate. This is mostly brawling with a few holds here and there. Bruno tries to put Sprios away with a bearhug and a camel clutch (which Vince McMahon calls it as a version of a Boston Crab). Bruno gets the win after Spiros misses a top rope knee drop and Bruno submits him in a half crab. A serviceable brawl with a hot crowd, as to be expected with any Bruno MSG match.

★★¾

• GSR changed the title to [1975-04-14-WWWF-MSG, NY] Bruno Sammartino vs Spiros Arion (Greek Death)
  • 4 years later...
  • 6 months later...

WWWF Heavyweight Champion Bruno Sammartino vs Spiros Arion - WWF MSG 4/14/75 Greek Death

My hands are freezing as I type this; don’t think this will be a long one. Not sure there will be a review tomorrow, but weather looks good for Friday.

A major upgrade from their March match thanks single handedly to Bruno! Bruno brought the much needed fire & passion as Arion has proven himself to be a complete waste of space. Bruno’s boxing and striking is terrific. It get me & the crowd revved up. I think what separated this one from the March one is you get the sense Bruno was trying to win this one. A Greek Death match is a submission match. Bruno busts out the Bearhug to a massive pop, the Camel Clutch so there is a sense of progression . Not just the static of punch kick. His stepping on Arion’s head got a loud reaction as did choking Arion with the tag rope. Arion was good for a couple ball shots and eye rakes but any sustained offense was boring as shit. I really enjoyed the finish. Arion goes for his finishing combo of an Atomic Drop & a Flying Knee but misses the latter. Bruno promptly slaps on a Single Leg Crab for the submission victory.

I don’t use the term “carry” frequently but a total carry job as Bruno was too much damn fun to be denied on this night. ***1/4