Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 04/23 - 04/29

...TG

I’m late to this as I had the Smackdown replay on in the background last night, but man was that Carmella segment fun. I don’t think I’ve seen her work more than two matches, but her stuff out of the ring has been really fun the last few weeks. I’m now of the opinion that she rules and I will not be swayed on this.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m late to this as I had the Smackdown replay on in the background last night, but man was that Carmella segment fun. I don’t think I’ve seen her work more than two matches, but her stuff out of the ring has been really fun the last few weeks. I’m now of the opinion that she rules and I will not be swayed on this.

The spot where she kicks her feet back at her opponent like a cat burying its poop in the litter box always gets a chuckle from me.

The Iconics promo was so poorly acted and didn't sound the least bit natural. Just felt like someone reciting lines. I'm surprised people liked it. I thought it was cringeworthy.

Thank goodness somebody else finally sees what I was seeing. I totally don't get the praise for those two.

Poorly acted and unnatural is a perfect description of the vibe I've gotten from those two since their debut in NXT. To me (and this is just my opinion) they've always come across like they're pretending to be Professional Wrestlers - just goofy and fake, and not genuine at all. I was really surprised they got called up as soon as they did, since I thought they probably needed another good 9 months to a year of promo training in NXT. Whenever they came on screen in NXT I always had the overwhelming urge to not watch them. If you look at the difference between them and somebody like Alexa Bliss it's like night and day. It's times like this that the loss of Dusty Rhodes and his promo classes in NXT are probably most evident. I don't think you can teach charisma, you either have it or you don't. But you can teach convincing promo delivery, and those two just don't have it yet, in my opinion.

The Iconics promo was so poorly acted and didn't sound the least bit natural. Just felt like someone reciting lines. I'm surprised people liked it. I thought it was cringeworthy.

Thank goodness somebody else finally sees what I was seeing. I totally don't get the praise for those two.

Poorly acted and unnatural is a perfect description of the vibe I've gotten from those two since their debut in NXT. To me (and this is just my opinion) they've always come across like they're pretending to be Professional Wrestlers - just goofy and fake, and not genuine at all. I was really surprised they got called up as soon as they did, since I thought they probably needed another good 9 months to a year of promo training in NXT. Whenever they came on screen in NXT I always had the overwhelming urge to not watch them. If you look at the difference between them and somebody like Alexa Bliss it's like night and day. It's times like this that the loss of Dusty Rhodes and his promo classes in NXT are probably most evident. I don't think you can teach charisma, you either have it or you don't. But you can teach convincing promo delivery, and those two just don't have it yet, in my opinion.

THIS.

I've mentioned this a number of times on Twitter and other places. TK provided a really good summary. I honestly don't see the appeal of The IIconics unless the appeal is some un-ironic meta deconstruction of the post 2011 'inside baseball' heel archetype. The women are walking SNL sketch parodies of GLOW. It just doesn't work for me.

Is it an outdated mentality to believe that, at least partially, some fans may have their judgment clouded by attractiveness? Peyton is really pretty. Alexa is really pretty. In the past, someone like Trish or Sunny were really pretty. I firmly believe it's a lot easier to overlook some shortcomings of a performer if you're attracted to them & don't mind seeing them on your screen.

In example, I'm really attracted to Becky Lynch and I think she's the best female on the WWE roster. If I were less attracted to her, would I still believe that? Not sure. But I know I sound like a neanderthal right now so I should probably shut up...

I think Billie is beautiful. She leans more toward my 'type' than Peyton, but no amount of cuteness will prevent me from calling a spade a spade. I love Kim Kardashian and yet I don't follow any of her social media accounts and I have probably seen 5 episode of KUWTK. I think her personality is annoying and I can only deal with so much badly written superficial fake drama every week (after all Raw is 3 hours long). I realize I am in the minority here (not on this board per say but pro wrestling fans in general). People are usually more forgiving on those who are soft on the eyes. I am not going to pretend that the duo is over just because of their looks, but I think it plays a large part when you factor in the mediocre matches and subpar paint-by-numbers promos. I honestly feel that, while guys find them attractive, women like Becky, Sasha, Asuka, Bliss, Ember, Charlotte, etc. are over due to the matches, character work (when it happens), etc.. Looking good is just the cherry on the sundae. The IIconics are very paper thin to me as all around workers and right now I am firmly tucked in bed at Camp "I Don't Get It!".

It plays a factor, but it's not enough. Who had the hottest body, Sensationnal Sherri or Stacy Keibler ? Yet, who you'd rather watch working the valet part ?

And it's the same thing for the guys. Remember in the 80's those blowjob tag teams. I mean, Ricky Morton & Robert Gibs…. wait… ok, that was probably because of the South...

But yeah, of course it plays a factor. Why do you think studd looking Randy Orton in short underwears got pushed and got so much reactions for so long ? His fabulous and compelling in-ring work ? His amazing charisma ? His mind-blowing promo ability ?

And who can forget this one ?

UyyWUIZ.jpg?1

And I must say, although very much straight, I understand the feeling, girl...

Ricky Morton, Robert Gibson, Shawn Michaels, Edge, etc. are what I call "wrestling pretty." Translation: they're butt-fucking-ugly in any other walk of life, but "pretty" when graded on a wrestling curve.

Randy Orton is average at best looks-wise in the "real world." Watch him in his film roles against even marginal Hollywood stars and it becomes obvious.

Finn is one of the true legitimately swoon-worthy wrestlers. (I'm not gay either, but handsome is handsome, and that man is handsome.)

The Iconics are supposed to be an Austrialian version of Laycool, but neither one are nearly as good as being bitchy mean girls as either Michelle or Layla were. I don't hate either Billie or Peyton but they do kind of come off as a cover band version of a better act.

Randy Orton is average at best looks-wise in the "real world." Watch him in his film roles against even marginal Hollywood stars and it becomes obvious.

Well, Hollywood ain't the real world either. But yeah, honestly, Randy Orton, with all the shitty tattoos, kinda looks likes some of the douchebags who do Survivor type TV shows.

In all honesty, all the girls we're talking about aren't that special looking either. Some are really cute girls (although butchered by the makeup department), but plenty of them are just on the more normaly attractive side of the spectrum, really. Which is a good thing. The days of the lingerie models is over, thankfully.

Alexa Bliss looks plays a part, but the fact is she's just really good at being a bitch heel. Personnality also plays a huge part into perception of attractiveness (not to state the obvious, but the same works IRL, I mean, look at Foley's wife for instance).

Personnality also plays a huge part into perception of attractiveness (not to state the obvious, but the same works IRL, I mean, look at Foley's wife for instance).

Torrie Wilson exemplifies this for me. She's drop dead gorgeous, but a bubble-headed empty vessel otherwise. I am incapable of finding her attractive because there's nothing between the ears with that girl.

Attractiveness also plays a huge part in recognition value. My gf and I have been together for almost 7 years, and she simply can't warm up to wrestling, she's only seen bits and pieces here and there.

Whenever I tell her something about most wrestlers, she just looks at me confused and can't remember ho I'm talking about. BUT, Randy Orton and CM Punk she directly knows who I mean, because she finds the both hot. So yeah, it's a big part.

Yeah. I'm a straight male and everything, but I know PLENTY of chicks (some even non-fans) that have made remarks about Orton's looks.

I attended a house show in 2009 - not long after he reemerged with the sleeved out tats - and there was a whole flock of chicks there, at this non-televised show, with signs and cleavage spilling out of their skin-tight tops in support of Orton.

In 2000 fucking 9. Imagine if he had come along in the Attitude Era. This dude would've slain some strange.

And you're kidding yourself if you think girls didn't love them some HBK back in the day. Plenty of biddies thought he was the bee's fleas back in 97 and even into 98, when he was just popping in all pilled to the gills to do the commissioner gig.

In the broader sense, it's absolutely true that personality - and especially confidence - amplifies that attractiveness. I believe that applies to both men and women in all cases.

... How did we get here again? Oh, right. Attractive people being judged on a curve. Is that the consensus for these Iconics girls? I really don't know. I haven't seen much of their work.

Well, Hollywood ain't the real world either. But yeah, honestly, Randy Orton, with all the shitty tattoos, kinda looks likes some of the douchebags who do Survivor type TV shows.

In all honesty, all the girls we're talking about aren't that special looking either. Some are really cute girls (although butchered by the makeup department), but plenty of them are just on the more normaly attractive side of the spectrum, really. Which is a good thing. The days of the lingerie models is over, thankfully.

Alexa Bliss looks plays a part, but the fact is she's just really good at being a bitch heel. Personnality also plays a huge part into perception of attractiveness (not to state the obvious, but the same works IRL, I mean, look at Foley's wife for instance).

Is Alexa Bliss pretty? She is usually wearing so much make-up that I have no idea what she really looks like (and I definitely don't feel like going on a google-pics search for private/non-work photos of her).

Is Alexa Bliss pretty? She is usually wearing so much make-up that I have no idea what she really looks like (and I definitely don't feel like going on a google-pics search for private/non-work photos of her).

She's probably much prettier IRL actually. Well, I'd say she's hot, as opposed to pretty, and again, I do think this comes from the fact she's playing the petite bitch heel role to a T and sexiness is part of the whole act. So, maybe she isn't actually that pretty, I have no idea, but she comes off that way thanks to her character her performance (as opposed to, yes, Torrie Wilson who's been mentionned earlier, whose body always looked smoking hot but also came off completely devoid of any character).

I'd draw a parallel to Angelina Love, as I'm deep in TNA 2008 right now, whose actually not *that* pretty by "common" standards, but her characterization makes her attractiveness go way up (no pun intended). A lot of it is relative (and cultural too) and the way you present yourself (and not just physically) goes a long way.

BTW, I'm going way off topic but... was Ric Flair a *good looking guy* ? I mean, Arn & Tully were ugly mofos, that's a given.

Finn is one of the true legitimately swoon-worthy wrestlers. (I'm not gay either, but handsome is handsome, and that man is handsome.)

He's actually average looking, when you look past the incredibly ripped body. In terms of having a good looking face, Orton, McIntyre and Reigns smoke him out of the water, for instance.

But back to the main point: yeah, looks are important for the fans and for management. People convinced themselves that Ohno got released from NXT because he was fat, when he really trimmed down at the time of his release. Wrestlers like Trish, Sable, and I would argue even Jeff Hardy got massive pushes because of that sort of connection, too - it's more obvious with the former two, but Jeff enciting screams of joy everytime he took off his shirt is indeed a factor.

Hell, even at the last IIconics promo they were looking at themselves in the titantron, saying how hot they were, and you could hear some fans say "yeah you are!", so indeed, their attractiveness plays a part.

At the same time, there is this situation where some fans almost "kink-shame" others out of spite. Fans who hate Roman, for instance, usually point out how only women cheer for him, because they find him handsome and *want* him, and therefore aren't as big as fans as they are.

Bottom line, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong in thinking a certain wrestler is good looking. Some wrestlers do get pushes because they look good, and can be marketable because of that (HBK posing for Playgirl, for instance). That's just the nature of the business after all.