Pro Wrestling Only

AWA results for May 1986

rainmakerrtv

Not fair posting 3 shows in a row! British Steel and Black Irish would get me into the building any day of the week. The Piper/Jake tag and Steamboat vs. Bock would have been incredible. Pillman is on fire and Sabu is really making an impact.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Building DeBeers up as a real threat makes sense.

Kabuki and Nord are indeed an entertaining team-up.

Adding Sabu to this roster (and to Pipers Pit) almost seems unfair. Looking forward to reading about his exploits.

The Varsity Club angle continues to run hot.

As I expected, it's all great stuff. You have a great roster and you are using everyone on it really well.

Ottawa Comic Con.

Did they get wrestlers at their Comic Con? They only had some in the first 2 in Quebec City and they haven't had in awhile. Almost considering going to Montreal's if I'd know I wouldn't have too much of a workload this summer.

Ottawa Comic Con.

Did they get wrestlers at their Comic Con? They only had some in the first 2 in Quebec City and they haven't had in awhile. Almost considering going to Montreal's if I'd know I wouldn't have too much of a workload this summer.

Trish Stratus, I was at her Q & A, she was very cool and sweet.

AWA show from the CU Events/Conference Center, Boulder, May 18th

Sabu vs. Cactus Jack

Cactus won by DQ after interference by Roddy Piper

The Can-Am Express vs. The Youngbloods

The Can-Ams won after a dropkick-Cobra Clutch Suplex combo on Wellington

Ken Patera vs. Bill Dundee

A stiff match with Patera finally taking the win with a shoulder breaker

Tom Zenk vs. Greg Gagne

Zenk reversed a schoolboy rollup with a fistful of tights to get the pinfall

The Great Kabuki vs. Leo Burke

Kabuki won with a thrust kick to the jaw

Chavo Guerrero vs. Shane Douglas

Douglas put in a valiant effort but went down to a top rope somersault senton

The All Star Squadron vs. Kevin Sullivan & Death Sentence

Pillman pinned Sully after a top rope sunset flip

Jake Roberts vs. Roddy Piper

Piper pinned Roberts with a double leg takedown with his feet on the ropes

Rocky Mountain Thunder vs. Mando & Hector Guerrero

Hector was going for a running cross body press on White, but was caught and White countered with a powerslam for the victory. The crowd was going crazy for both Colorado native Scorpio and former Colorado Buffalo White

AWA Canadian Title Match : Ron Garvin © vs. Buzz Sawyer

A knock down, drag out fight that ended with Garvin piledriving Sawyer to defend his title

AWA Southern Title Match : Pat Tanaka © vs. Larry Zbyszko

Both men went to a 20 minute time limit draw

AWA World Title Match : Ricky Steamboat © vs. Bob Orton

Steamboat fought out of a superplex attempt, knocked Orton off the turnbuckle then hit a top rope flying cross body press to get the one two three

Seems like Pat Tanaka is racking up time limit finishes. But I love it because it also helps establishing him as a credible champion. Being primarily a tag wrestler when I entered the game, now this title reign really shows him as one of the best guys on your roster, right on the cusp of reaching main event level. And whenever you want Ricky Steamboat to have a night off or being featured in a tag format, you can slide Tanaka right in your main event slot and still get something really good out of him.

Steamboat/Orton and Garvin/Sawyer would of been my money matches. Pillman getting the pin on Sullivan must of been pure satisfaction. A Guerrero finally is able to beat Douglas. Love the finish of Zenk pulling the tights on Gagne. Poor Greg just cant seem to find his way in the AWA.

Steamboat/Orton and Garvin/Sawyer would of been my money matches. Pillman getting the pin on Sullivan must of been pure satisfaction. A Guerrero finally is able to beat Douglas. Love the finish of Zenk pulling the tights on Gagne. Poor Greg just cant seem to find his way in the AWA.

I actually like Greg, but at this point in my circuit, he is filling a role on the babyface side that Leo Burke does with the heels : the veteran trainer who goes out to give a good match with less experienced wrestlers and put them over.

AWA All-Star Wrestling on ESPN / TSN , May 23rd

Chris Adams vs. Steve Blackman

With Adams set on taking the Canadian title from Ron Garvin, he was looking to show he was worthy of the shot by taking on Garvin’s protégé, the powerful young black belt Steve Blackman. This worked out to a martial arts showdown with Adams’ Judo expertise clashing with Blackman’s Tae Kwon Do skills. The match kept the fans on the edge of their seats until Blackman’s attempts to hit an arm takedown were countered by a series of suplexes by Adams, finishing with a belly to back suplex for the three count. Adams shook Blackman’s hand after the match, but time will tell how he will ultimately fare against the double tough Garvin.

Death Sentence vs. The All-Star Squadron

Since leaving the Varsity Club, Mike Rotundo and Dan Spivey have banded together with Brian Pillman to form a new unit called the All-Star Squadron, and they have impressed a lot of people on recent house shows. Kevin Sullivan has sent his personal goon squad Death Sentence out to get revenge on his former colleagues, and they were clearly set on doing some damage. With Pillman at ringside, Rotundo and Spivey fought hard against their huge opponents, but Payne and Gaylord kept coming at them. Sullivan sought to tip the balance by tossing in the Golden Spike, but found him tackled to the floor by Pillman. Gaylord was still able to pick up the Spike, but was sufficiently delayed for Spivey to nail him with the Spivey Bomber and get the one two three. Both factions continued brawling after the final result, and we are clearly not done with this feud by a long ways.

Chavo Guerrero vs. Shane Douglas

After an intial loss to Chavo and a time limit draw with Hector, young Shane Douglas has managed a bit of a winning streak on All-Star Wrestling against the Guerrero Brothers. Chavo was obviously quite determined to make sure it didn’t go any further, wrenching him hard with several tough submission holds and suplexes to try to break him down. Douglas showed real fire and determination as he kept rallying back and, with the encouragement of his mentor Bill Dundee, held the advantage over Chavo at several points in the match. Still, the experience of Chavo kept bringing control of the match back into his hands and he looked about to cinch in the match when he got Douglas set up for the Gory Special. Douglas was able to block it, though, and even reverse it into a sunset flip. One … two … three!!!! Douglas had managed a sweep of all three Guerreros and he and Dundee celebrated at ringside with the fans.

Col. Debeers vs. Too Cold Scorpio

The secret weapon of Playboy After Dark continued their war with the Cobra Corps by taking on one half of Rocky Mountain Thunder. This was a battle of the size and power of Debeers against the speed and agility of Scorpio. Scorpio seemed overwhelmed for much of the match, with his attempts at taking Debeers off his feet swiftly getting shut down. Still, he was able to stagger the Special Forces officer and went up top to try for a high impact move. This was not to be, as he wound up being shoved off the top turnbuckle by Buddy Rose, taking advantage of the ref being distracted. Debeers followed up with a nasty face first piledriver to put Scorpio away. He was able to prevail over one of the junior members of the Cobra Corps, but the big Sarge will prove to be a different matter.

AWA Southern Title Match : Pat Tanaka © vs. Brian Pillman

Tanaka has been on a run of outstanding technical matches in his defense of the Southern Title, and this match was shaping up to be the same against the popular rookie Pillman. Unfortunately, after a duel of fast paced high flying moves, both men ended up colliding and falling to the outside. As they struggled to get to their feet, Tom Zenk snuck down to ringside and hit a superkick on Pillman before scurrying back to the locker room. Tanaka was able to make it back to the ring in time and got the win by countout. When his manager Sunshine explained to him was happened, Tanaka was furious. He then helped Pillman to his feet and promised him a rematch.

Ricky Steamboat & Ron Garvin vs. Nick Bockwinkel & Masa Saito

The World Champion and Canadian Champion have become a formidable alliance of late, but would have to deal with the incredibly tough duo of Bockwinkel and Saito. With Bock having his own aims at Steamboat’s World Title, the two waged a ferocious assault on the fan favorites, eventually throwing the rulebook out the window when Larry Zbyszko charged into the ring and joined in attacking Steamboat, leading to a DQ. They looked intent on doing real damage to Steamboat, but Garvin waded in to the rescue, which only caused them to focus their attention on destroying Steamboat’s closest ally. They had Garvin set up for a double spike piledriver, but who should come charging in but Chris Adams, who sent Bock’s crew scattering with Superkicks. Garvin pulled himself to his feet, confused by this unlikely source of support, but Adams let his motives be known when he pointed at Garvin, then pointed at himself. Nobody was going to get to beat Garvin but him, and he didn’t want Garvin to have any excuses when he defended his Canadian Title against Adams.

AWA show from the Mecca, Milwaukee, May 23rd (as shown on ESPN / TSN Super Cards)

Leo Burke & Doug Somers vs. The Can-Am Express

Furnas pinned Burke after a powerslam

Mando & Hector Guerrero vs. Bill Dundee & Shane Douglas

Dundee and Douglas pinned Hector after a running cross body press / schoolboy trip combination

Falls Count Anywhere Match : Sabu vs. Cactus Jack

Sabu beat Cactus after a diving legdrop on the concrete floor

Mike Rotundo & Dan Spivey vs. Bob Orton & Buzz Sawyer

A hard hitting match where Buzz was going for a bulldog on Rotundo but was intercepted by a Spivey Bomber to give the victory to the All-Star Squadron

Brian Pillman vs. Tom Zenk

Pillman was going for the Air Pillman, but Kevin Sullivan tripped him off the ropes, and Zenk pinned Pillman with his feet on the ropes

AWA Southern Tag Team Title Match : Black Irish © vs. British Steel

Both teams went to a 20 minute time limit draw

Roddy Piper vs. Jake Roberts

Piper blocked a DDT attempt with a low blow, followed by a belly to back suplex for the pinfall

AWA World Title Match : Ricky Steamboat © vs. Nick Bockwinkel

Another epic match where Bock tried to finish him off with a piledriver, but Steamboat dug in and prevented it, then reversed with a schoolboy roll up for the victory. After the match, it was announced that these two would face each other in a cage match in Winnipeg

I like the show of class by Tanaka in offering Pillman a re-match.

I agree with SirE that the Chris Adams & Ron Garvin stuff made perfect sense.

You can just keep running Piper vs Roberts, Steamboat vs Bock, Pillman vs Zenk and Cactus vs Sabu forever as far as I'm concerned. So many great, logical, and natural match-ups on those cards.

That entire All Star Wrestling show was incredible. Loved seeing Douglas get his sweep of the Guerreros and Tanaka showing some class. Good build for a babyface Adams vs. babyface Garvin match as well.

Supercards was pretty much the same, top to bottom great. Sabu and Cactus in that match would have been a ton of fun. Pillman shows us that it's hard to be a babyface high flier in the AWA much like Scorpio did the card before. Black Irish and British Steel is a matchup I'll never complain about. The final two matches would have brought the house down and I am guessing Bock's time is coming with the cage match on the way.

AWA show from the International Amphitheater, Chicago, May 24th

Chris Adams vs. Biff Wellington

Adams won with a superkick

Brian Pillman vs. Doug Somers

Pillman pinned Somers after the Air Pillman

The Great Kabuki vs. Larry Zbyszko

Kabuki ducked a roundhouse kick and followed up with his own thrust kick to the jaw for the win

Rocky Mountain Thunder vs. Bob Orton & Buzz Sawyer

White was going for a power slam on Sawyer, but Orton hit him in the head with a blackjack and Sawyer fell on top of him for the pinfall

AWA Southern Title Match : Pat Tanaka © vs. Tom Zenk

Both men went to a 20 minute time limit draw

AWA Six Man Tag Team Title Match : The Guerreros © vs. Ron Garvin, Bill Dundee & Shane Douglas

Mando caught Dundee with a German suplex to defend their belt

AWA World Tag Team Title Match : The Razor Boys © vs. Ken Patera & Jerry Blackwell

An intense match that the champs won by DQ when Patera slugged the ref

AWA American Title Match : Dan Spivey © vs. Kevin Sullivan

Sullivan bloodied Spivey with the Golden Spike, but Spivey rallied and got the win with the Spivey Bomber