Pro Wrestling Only

Greatest Wrestling Promotion of all time?

While NJPW is on most people's lists often wondered why AJW never gets the same love.

It's not easy to find footage of a lot of the big matches from before the 90's. The 90's peak produced some universally loved classics, but a lot of it can be divisive due to how influential Toyota was on the overall style. Also they went out of business 15 years ago while NJPW is still producing great matches.

Im not sure whats out there but thanks to Vince bringing in a few for the 95 Survivor Series match made me years later want to see who they wrestled and was glad I did, even suprised to see Madusa there I think must have been the 80s.

I remember TWC over in the UK airing some womens Japan wrestling, can't remember the name off the top of my head just have visions of someone being slapped constantly in the intro.

While NJPW is on most people's lists often wondered why AJW never gets the same love.

It's not easy to find footage of a lot of the big matches from before the 90's. The 90's peak produced some universally loved classics, but a lot of it can be divisive due to how influential Toyota was on the overall style. Also they went out of business 15 years ago while NJPW is still producing great matches.

Im not sure whats out there but thanks to Vince bringing in a few for the 95 Survivor Series match made me years later want to see who they wrestled and was glad I did, even suprised to see Madusa there I think must have been the 80s.

I remember TWC over in the UK airing some womens Japan wrestling, can't remember the name off the top of my head just have visions of someone being slapped constantly in the intro.

what yw=eat was that channel around is it was 2000-2005 it may well have been Gaea or jwp

TWC aired GAEA.

Peak output feels like a different question to greatest ever. New Japan and the WWE wouldnt make my list of favourite promotions ever but I can safely say that they're greater than boutique promotions. Greater doesnt mean better in this conversation.

CMLL isnt really a void from 2000-2010. I dont think the post-Mistico years were great but there was a ton of good content from 2000-2007 and they were doing good business.

what yw=eat was that channel around is it was 2000-2005 it may well have been Gaea or jwp

Yeah was GAEA. TWC aired and did a pre launch in 2003 where they repeated stuff for 3 months. Must have been 2004 time the launch probably a week before Mania when it started. I liked the stuff they showed but man it was annoying when they aired Shoots in 2 parts not because it was split in half but when they told you when the second part was on and then a diff wrestler got shown. I stopped watching around 2006 time but I remember reading it was closing down in 2008.

They are so many great promotions. In the 80's Memphis, Mid-South , World Class, JCP and Portland are my favorites . In the 90's Smoky Mountain and ECW were great. The 2000's gave us NOAH and ROH . Today NJPW is the best . I am still loyal to ROH even the match quality and the talent roster have declined during this decade.

I have not watched much NJPW and AJPW from the 80 's or 90 's . but plan to check them out when time allows.

The "Is TNA the Worst Promotion?" thread is interesting because a lot of cool stuff is being re-discovered and there are some really high peak matches, but there's still a ton of crap they put on as well.

Id say no to TNA because the early matches they had some good stuff.

Worst promotion for me is ROH. Just could never get into that promotion.

Gave it more thought and came up with a list.

1. AJPW

2. NJPW

3. WWE

4. NOAH

5. UWF 1

6. RINGS

7. BattlArts

8. BJW

9. ROH

10. Fred Kohler Enterprises

List is mostly based on which ones produced the most stuff I dig, while also taking into account how they influenced the business. UWF 1 might seem high as they were only around for a year, but they produced a ton of great matches, had a massive influence on the scene, and I love the atmosphere of their shows so they're one of my favorites. No CMLL because I don't like the style and most of the lucha I like is from other promotions. Kohler is on there for promoting some of the best Golden Age matches we have on tape and because Russ Davis is the man.

I will echo Jetlag's point, it's hard to give a shit about peak if I have no desire to ever watch the vast majority of matches a company produces. For comparative purposes it's much easier for me to just rank Big Mouth Loud where basically almost every match is good than deal with the com plete legacy of All Japan.