• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 concrete1992

concrete1992

Sammy D

• Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:17 AM

Would anyone count Rey Mysterio? with him being outside the WWE bubble and hitting a ton of places and a variety of opponents along with his experience I'd say I'd throw him in.

Rey's a tough one as his post-WWE run probably doesn't net him too many points for this discussion. Has some bangers in Lucha Underground but not enough where he's a top 10 or so wrestler for the past few years. I don't think that's going to be improving anytime soon.

Cena should probably be mentioned but hard for me to realistically think that someone that has not been the best wrestler, or in the top 3, in his company for a single year makes it sort of hard to justify in my eyes. Granted, someone might say his 2011 deserves that rub. 

Sekimoto hasn't been included cause he's not that good. 

#22 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 11242 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:58 AM

I feel like Cena sort of fell off a cliff when he started to "adapt" to the second wave of former indy guys becoming the norm as his opponents. That said, he still gets points for adapting and it did pretty much win over the crowd. You suddenly can't be making a "not enough movez" argument against the guy who's doing springboard stunners.

#23 Boss Rock

Boss Rock
  • Members
  • 717 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:58 AM

Kenny Omega deserves some love. Forget the whole 6 stars deal, he's a very ballsy and creative worker who's been involved in a number of great matches in a wide variety of settings throughout the decade.

Meiko Satomura has also quietly assembled an impressive resume of low-key MOTYC's throughout the decade.

I haven't seen enough of Kenny's DDT or early NJPW stuff to say one way or the other, but if he keeps delivering like he did last year I think he'll have an argument.

#24 Boss Rock

Boss Rock
  • Members
  • 717 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 09:00 AM

No love for John Cena? Great decade for matches and promos from the guy.

Cena's tough because I'd wager the majority of his best stuff was around 2007. He still delivered some great matches here and there, but being a part-timer also hurts him compared to more consistent wrestlers. 

#25 gordi

gordi

I call him Shohei because we are close like that

• Members
  • 2130 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 09:13 AM

From what little I've seen, I'd go with MiSu. Legit MOTYCs this decade vs Tanahashi, Sugiura, Styles, Yano... best match on this year's Jan 4th card vs Goto... and I have heard good things about the Riddle match as well.

#26 concrete1992

concrete1992

Sammy D

• Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 09:14 AM

From what little I've seen, I'd go with MiSu. Legit MOTYCs this decade vs Tanahashi, Sugiura, Styles, Yano... best match on this year's Jan 4th card vs Goto... and I have heard good things about the Riddle match as well.

He did also have one of the worst titles runs that a "major" wrestling promotion has produced this decade. 

#27 gordi

gordi

I call him Shohei because we are close like that

• Members
  • 2130 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 09:34 AM

He did also have one of the worst titles runs that a "major" wrestling promotion has produced this decade.
Which one? The GHC Title run? I'm not trying to be funny, I really don't follow modern wrestling closely at all. (Hence, "from what little I've seen...")

A lot of other highly pimped guys/matches in the last few years have really let me down when I get around to watching them. MiSu's pimped stuff that I have seen has not let me down.

My other choice would be Dick Togo, again based on a very small sample size (mainly vs Billyken Kid and Antonio Honda which are two matches that I loved, and also stuff like him showing up in places like Bolivia and Vietnam and wrestling fun matches). He spent a lot of the decade retired, though... which is why I gave Suzuki the nod.

Bryan is also obviously great, but he's spent a lot of time on the shelf as well.

Kana/Asuka's matches haven't let me down often, either, come to think of it.

#28 DMJ

DMJ
  • Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:46 AM

I went very high on Lesnar on my GWE list, but I must say, his last few years have really tarnished him to me. Which is kind of a weird stance to have too when you consider how high Flair, for example, ranked despite being in quite a few stinkers by the end of WCW.

Maybe the difference is that Flair was at least trying and Lesnar almost seems to be actively not trying? In other words, with Flair post-96', you can see that he still desperately wants to put on consistently great performances but can't, while with Lesnar, he doesn't seem at all interested in being consistently great even though he still could be.

#29 KawadaSmile

KawadaSmile
  • Members
  • 1360 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:49 AM

People have Cesaro on their lists, but no Sheamus? To me, when I think about the absolute best worker of this decade, the one I think about is Sheamus. There's simply no one in WWE that has the same volume of great matches as he does, really.

#30 Matt D

Matt D

• Members
  • 11242 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:03 PM

Hechicero's only been mentioned once in the thread, and that's as an honorable mention. I think he deserves better than that.

#31 peachchaos

peachchaos
  • Members
  • 1104 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 02:19 PM

People have Cesaro on their lists, but no Sheamus?

Cesaro was well on his way to WOTD contention before he joined WWE. It took Sheamus a few years to get cooking really.

#32 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 44074 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 04:28 PM

I feel like Cena sort of fell off a cliff when he started to "adapt" to the second wave of former indy guys becoming the norm as his opponents. That said, he still gets points for adapting and it did pretty much win over the crowd. You suddenly can't be making a "not enough movez" argument against the guy who's doing springboard stunners.

Audible and visible calling of matches is the biggest knock if we want to go after something.

#33 fxnj

fxnj
  • Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:30 PM

I went very high on Lesnar on my GWE list, but I must say, his last few years have really tarnished him to me. Which is kind of a weird stance to have too when you consider how high Flair, for example, ranked despite being in quite a few stinkers by the end of WCW.

Maybe the difference is that Flair was at least trying and Lesnar almost seems to be actively not trying? In other words, with Flair post-96', you can see that he still desperately wants to put on consistently great performances but can't, while with Lesnar, he doesn't seem at all interested in being consistently great even though he still could be.

Since 2015, he had the Roman MOTYC, great Undertaker feud with 2 MOTYC, cool Orton match, great Goldberg feud, Joe feud wih 4-way MOTYC, and Styles MOTYC. He must have been a hell of a worker before that if being in several of the best matches and moments for the last few years tarnishes him for you.

#34 Matt D

Matt D

• Members
  • 11242 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:48 PM

Since 2015, he had the Roman MOTYC, great Undertaker feud with 2 MOTYC, cool Orton match, great Goldberg feud, Joe feud wih 4-way MOTYC, and Styles MOTYC. He must have been a hell of a worker before that if being in several of the best matches and moments for the last few years tarnishes him for you.

Suplex City is the worst structure in the history of wrestling on any sort of a major stage.

#35 Mad Dog

Mad Dog
  • Members
  • 5771 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:56 PM

He barely did anything in that Summerslam 4 way too. That was all Braun being awesome. 

#36 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 44074 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:19 PM

I doubt he's #1, but would El Generico/Sami Zayn be in the top tier?

#37 Mad Dog

Mad Dog
  • Members
  • 5771 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:35 PM

I feel like his WWE work has been mostly mediocre but his NXT run was top tier.

#38 joeg

joeg
  • Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:48 PM

Sekimoto

AJ Styles

Nakamura

Danielson

Okada

Tanahashi

Ibushi

MiSu

Ishii

John Cena

Brock Lesnar

Rush

La Sombra/ Cien Almas

Black Terry

Cesaro

#39 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10224 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 03:09 AM

I'm far from his biggest fan but Sabre Jr probably deserves a mention in this thread as he's probably churned out as much volume this decade as nearly anyone in terms of above average matches.  

If you want an extremely Dylan Hales answer for someone who should be a top tier contender (say top 20ish) if not the actual tip top guy, Kyle Matthews is as consistently good as anyone in wrestling over the last 8 years and has had good to great matches with a massive swath of people over the decade ranging from no name, zero talent, southern indie scrubs to some of the absolute top names in independent wrestling.  

#40 joeg

joeg
  • Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 06:26 AM

I was just thinking Jericho belongs on this list. I look at my favorite feuds over the past decade and he's involved in half of them. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users