114 replies to this topic

#21 Magnum Milano

Magnum Milano
  • Members
  • 2222 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:46 AM

he  about  as credible as fox news  is

Great post, shodate.

Let's check The shodate Manifesto and see how you scored...

The shodate Manifesto

1) Post a comment which is clearly intended to bring attention to yourself. CHECK!

2) Try and bring politics into your post - even if the topic being discussed has nothing to do with politics. CHECK!

3) Make sure your comment is irrelevant and does not contribute to the discussion. CHECK!

4) Make your comments brief, cryptic and pointless. CHECK!

5) Do not use proper grammar/sentence structure (despite the fact that you have proven that you're capable of it.) CHECK!

6) When people react (the way you clearly want them to) act indignant and morally wounded, as if you can't imagine why somebody could possibly be so cruel to you. Remember, you are the wronged party and are clearly the victim of unjust persecution. People are being mean to you for having opinions, not for being a semi-literate blatant troll.

7) Repeat this process in every possible thread.

8) There will be no repercussions for your behavior, because a vocal minority of other members at PWO enjoy your gimmick. They are your core audience so continue to play to them as much as possible, because Lord knows your act isn't getting old at all.

Now please respond the way I know you're going to, so I can check off #6 as well.

And for the record...yes I know what I just posted is "deformation."

So much for his claims that

this is going ot be my last Political; post  i ever make  m outside of MIS area    

To no surprise whatsoever didn't even last a week without breaking that one!

#22 shodate

shodate

Anarchist of PWO

• Banned
  • 544 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:51 AM

Great post, shodate.

The shodate Manifesto

1) Post a comment which is clearly intended to bring attention to yourself. CHECK!

2) Try and bring politics into your post - even if the topic being discussed has nothing to do with politics. CHECK!

3) Make sure your comment is irrelevant and does not contribute to the discussion. CHECK!

5) Do not use proper grammar/sentence structure (despite the fact that you have proven that you're capable of it.) CHECK!

6) When people react (the way you clearly want them to) act indignant and morally wounded, as if you can't imagine why somebody could possibly be so cruel to you. Remember, you are the wronged party and are clearly the victim of unjust persecution. People are being mean to you for having opinions, not for being a semi-literate blatant troll.

8) There will be no repercussions for your behavior, because a vocal minority of other members at PWO enjoy your gimmick. They are your core audience so continue to play to them as much as possible, because Lord knows your act isn't getting old at all.

Now please respond the way I know you're going to, so I can check off #6 as well.

what is not Polical  Fox news in News Source   id say the  same about MSBNC  or akin   saying a news source in not accurate is Political   

https://youtu.be/A-mm4M-GR54?t=50s

#23 shodate

shodate

Anarchist of PWO

• Banned
  • 544 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:59 AM

Great post, shodate.

The shodate Manifesto

what is not Polical  Fox news in News Source   id say the  same about MSBNC  or akin   saying a news source in not accurate is Political   

@  TTK    i  have made lots of other posts that     have gone in to detail and thye have been ignored  i make  one short one   you point it out 

#24 The Thread Killer

The Thread Killer

The Canadian Wildman

• Members
  • 1326 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:59 AM

I think this needs its own thread since I see him cited all over the place more than I used to.

Dave insists that he's a con man working a gimmick, which sounds like Gene Okerlund and the WCW Hotline to me. Are there people who think he's credible? Why? 

This is also a good time to vent about the toxic, anti-truth movement his podcast (and Vince Russo's, for that matter) have created on Twitter, with their followers trolling Dave constantly.

Loss, I can see why some fans would be surprised and even concerned about the upward trajectory of Bruce Prichard's relevance to Pro Wrestling.  He has been experiencing a pretty amazing, unpredictable and unlikely career resurgence that I don't think anybody could have predicted.

My feelings about him have vacillated over the past couple of years.  At first, I wrote him off as nothing more than a WWF/E shill and apologist, who was obnoxious to boot.  If I didn't suffer from chronic insomnia, it's likely I never would have listened to his podcast.  Eventually, I warmed up to him - but purely for entertainment reasons.  After a while, his show grew on me...as comedy commentary.  I found his banter with Conrad Thompson to be quite humorous. His show was easy to listen to, and inoffensive for the most part.

Lately, I find myself becoming disenchanted with the show for a couple of reasons.  Firstly, it is becoming incredibly over-exposed.  His normal show is already famous for long episodes, and now we're getting bonus shows and the Network show on top of all that.  It's getting to be too much Prichard, for me.  Secondly, I am finding his act is kind of like Beavis & Butthead or the Three Stooges...funny on an embarrassing visceral level, but not the kind of entertaining that can be enjoyed without it wearing thin after a while.  I can only hear so many Vince McMahon or Jerry Jarrett imitations before I get tired.  (Although to be honest, his Terry Funk still cracks me up.)  Also, his whole Meltzer-bashing act is getting beyond boring.  It's the same damn thing every show now.

The main thing that is turning me off Bruce Prichard is that people are starting to take what he says as a fact.  That's kind of scary. Conrad Thompson has clearly stated on many occasions that the show is meant to be entertainment first, everything else second.  If there are really people out there who take what Prichard says as gospel and use it as "facts" for the basis for an argument, that's kind of terrifying.

A lot of other people in this thread have hit the nail on the head.  Hearing from Bruce Prichard is the closet we're ever going to get to knowing how Vince McMahon's mind works.  He can provide a peek into the creative process with Vince that can be very interesting.  Do I think he's telling the truth some of the time?  Sure. Hell, he might even be telling the truth a lot of the time.  But there are also countless times where he's quite clearly full of shit. To be fair, Conrad calls him on that fairly regularly.

Listening to a Bruce Prichard podcast and walking away thinking you got facts, is kind of like watching MTV News and thinking you got news.  Technically it might be true...but not really.

#25 Magnum Milano

Magnum Milano
  • Members
  • 2222 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:13 AM

I don't understand a word of what you wrote, but good job in continuing the gimmick by linking to something on YouTube that mentions Trump in the title of the video.

#26 The Thread Killer

The Thread Killer

The Canadian Wildman

• Members
  • 1326 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:15 AM

I think that what Meltzer thinks is a separate issue. I tend to think that it's easier for Dave to say that Bruce, Bischoff or whoever are running a gimmick rather than admit he's wrong a fairly decent percentage of the time.

You make a good point. After listening to the debut episode of Bischoff's show this past week, I had the same thought.  I know Bischoff can and will be just as guilty as Prichard of being full of shit.  He will also have an agenda he is trying to promote.  But so does Meltzer. Don't get me wrong...I genuinely respect Dave Meltzer's work and abilities.  However, the massive explosion in wrestling related Shoot Interviews and Podcasts over the past few years by people who are either insiders or in some cases were actual decision makers themselves, has damaged Meltzer's credibility somewhat. I never did take everything Metlzer reported as fact, but I think there are more and more examples of times he was just flat out wrong coming to light.  (The whole "who is the third man going to be" story is a good example.  I am of the opinion that some of Dave's theories about that story were just not right.) I also don't discount the fact that Dave has clearly gotten worked by some of his sources who obviously had agendas of their own.

One thing Prichard is clearly doing is using his show to bury people he has a bad history with.  To hear him tell it, Jerry Jarrett is an idiot, Terry Taylor is overrated and Paul Heyman was never as successful as his brainwashed fans think.  Maybe all those things are true...but you can tell that (at least in the case of Jarrett and Heyman) there is clearly some jealousy happening.

#27 shodate

shodate

Anarchist of PWO

• Banned
  • 544 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:19 AM

I don't understand a word of what you wrote, but good job in continuing the gimmick by linking to something on YouTube that mentions Trump in the title of the video.

fox news is  the least  trustworthy news source  as that video shows  how is that political   even fox  irs self showed the graphic   only 30% of people trust fox   based on poll by Monmouth college

its not overtly    political at all

#28 The Chief

The Chief
  • Members
  • 1660 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:34 AM

fox news is  the least  trustworthy news source  as that video shows  how is that political   even fox  irs self showed the graphic   only 30% of people trust fox   based on poll by Monmouth college

its not overtly    political at all

Mods, please. This is getting ridiculous....

#29 El-P

El-P

NFLTG

• Members
  • 10026 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:50 AM

However, the massive explosion in wrestling related Shoot Interviews and Podcasts over the past few years by people who are either insiders or in some cases were actual decision makers themselves, has damaged Meltzer's credibility somewhat.

Gotta factor the fact most of the shoot interviews and podcasts are also full of bullshit. I mean, Bischoff is notoriously full of shit too. So, I don't see how source sources do much damage to Meltz honestly. Was he wrong in the past (and probably today too) at times ? Sure. But I wouldn't take most of these insiders declaration as facts either, especially when they are know bullshitters to begin with.

As far as Prichard goes, I pretty much agree with the whole "let's have a sneak peak into Vince's brain" being fascinating. To his credit, Bruce also takes no glove at time when he thinks some of the stuff was awful or didn't make any sense. But you have to know he's mostly throwing the WWE company line and won't ever critizice TriPaul on serious offense (his take on the Booker promo and program was ridiculous to the point he wasn't even trying not looking like he was full of shit). And he's an excellent storyteller. So there.

#30 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 11230 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:58 AM

I'm going to bring a little bit of politics into things (sorry), but it all feels a lot like the current administration and the amount of leaking going on, people serving their own interests, and how the NYT/Post are handling it. Meltzer's problem, I think, was in the way he presented information. It always felt like a universal truth in the Observer as opposed to "my sources tell me," which would have gotten tedious line after line, but even anonymous sources are treated a certain way in the media. I feel like Bix has written about this re: Meltzer before. I believe that most of the time he wasn't just making things up and he was getting things from his sources, but he rarely attributed the information he received in meaningful, contextual ways and that makes all of it age worse than it probably should.

There are times, too, where you can definitely tell that Meltzer was putting together dots in a logical way (in the Bischoff podcast, there was a bit about Hogan's turn re: merch which would have mattered in most other points of history but merch wasn't a big line-item in early 1996 WCW apparently), when he really didn't have sources. It was much more "expert analysis" than news, but even then it was presented as objective and concrete, not just analysis. He was probably right more often than not when he did this, just like we often are when we do it, because if you follow the wrestling industry in any meaningful way, you note causal relationships and patterns, but it was still presented too definitively as "this is why this is happening." 

There was often no differentiation between the two.

#31 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 44062 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 10:26 AM

Yeah, shodate, you said you wouldn't post anything else political, but you still did. Don't. Final warning. Thanks in advance for cooperating, and there's no need for anyone else to address it in this thread.

#32 C.S.

C.S.
  • Members
  • 2514 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:37 PM

Because he was a petty madman who got absurd amusement in putting grown men in killer bee costumes? In Vince's mind, what's the point of making all this money if you can't lord over people and lean towards your joys?

What?! The Killer Bees were very popular and cool as hell. Who didn't love the switcheroo mask gimmick?

Those are great gimmicks. Undead monster and fire demon.

Brian Lee sure did an incredible job as The Undertaker.

Kane himself, Glenn Jacobs, lit the world on fire as Diesel.

Great gimmicks, so what was the problem?

#33 PeteF3

PeteF3
  • Members
  • 9571 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 02:24 PM

I don't think "imitation [x]" qualifies as a great gimmick.

#34 C.S.

C.S.
  • Members
  • 2514 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 03:03 PM

I was poking fun at the other poster for calling "undead monster" and "fire demon" great gimmicks with a straight face.

Yes, they're considered great because Mark Callaway and Glenn Jacobs made them great. But let's not pretend they were good on paper.

Imagine literally anyone else in those gimmicks. It takes a very special performer to make them work. With Taker, we actually have an example of someone else doing it: same costume, same music, same presentation - and it stunk. Remember, for weeks, the Brian Lee Taker was presented as the real deal, with camera angles and other magic tricks obscuring his actual identity, but it somehow wasn't good all of a sudden. The missing, magic ingredient was Mark Callaway.

#35 El-P

El-P

NFLTG

• Members
  • 10026 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 03:07 PM

The Kane gimmick should have had a shelf-life of about 10 months. It's been 20 years and as such, Glen Jacobs can be considered the worst major performer of the last 20 years. Almost nothing but shit matches and shit angles (not his fault but ne never made anything better) over a 20 years period. Painfull on every level.

#36 C.S.

C.S.
  • Members
  • 2514 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 03:19 PM

The Kane gimmick should have had a shelf-life of about 10 months. It's been 20 years and as such, Glen Jacobs can be considered the worst major performer of the last 20 years. Almost nothing but shit matches and shit angles (not his fault but ne never made anything better) over a 20 years period. Painfull on every level.

I thought he was great in tag teams with Daniel Bryan and X-Pac, and that's not solely down to the other guy. Corporate Kane was also good fun. I can't agree that he never made anything better because he's been involved in so much ridiculous crap that shoudn't have worked at all, including the Kane gimmick itself, and he elevated it with his personality and presence.

#37 shodate

shodate

Anarchist of PWO

• Banned
  • 544 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 03:25 PM

a Gimmick should never  be cover or interfere in the work of worker  a band worker if  good gimmick if still a bad worker   a good worker with bad gimmick unless he oenly bad  will  get over it and his talent will shine  like  the sun and shine on 

Taker i never seen  a top-level woker  Vader was the  better big man  and was level above taker   an bur  Jacobs   was  fine worker  if Japan stuff  just saying  the kane gimmick  capped him alot 

#38 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10224 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 05:27 PM

I don't take much anything he says super seriously, but I also don't like his show at all.  I don't particularly trust Dave for a variety of reasons either.  To me if I cared enough it would probably worth combing through what Dave says vs what Bruce says on certain issues, seeing where the Venn Diagram is and then kind of thinking about new historical narratives based on that.  

#39 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 11148 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 06:02 PM

Apparently Bruce said something on the latest episode along the lines of Dave tried to get USA Today to do an expose on blading after a SNME show in 1989, leading to his fanbase going after a bewildered Dave on Twitter (again). 

There comes a point where guys like this and Russo risk turning themselves into an Alex Jones type, who can be both dismissed as unreliable crazies and also feeding in to a fanbase seemingly not aware of the gimmick and believe everything they say as gospel. 

#40 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10224 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 06:26 PM

Oh there is certainly a cultish/religious mindset to a lot of consumers of various wrestling talking heads.  It's weird to me that Russo has credibility with anyone and I worry about him least in part because he discredits himself so easily and often. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users