Pro Wrestling Only

[2018-05-03-NJPW-Wrestling Dontaku] Kota Ibushi vs Cody

cactus

They hold off the big spots until later into the match. Ibushi is trying to wrestle this one cleanly, while Cody attempts to antagonize him from the get-go. Cody looks like a midcarder trying to cosplay as a main event player. I like him in doses, but I can't buy him at the top of the card.

The best part of this match would have to be the foot stomp through the table. That must of stung like hell. After that Kota hits a dive that looks like it hurt him more than his opponent and then it prematurely wraps up. This is one of those matches that has a solid slow burn build-up that ultimately doesn't go very far. It reminds me of Rollins vs Triple H in that regard.

★★¾

This was rather dull and disappointing compared to their overachieving, borderline great match at Wrestle Kindgom. The feeling out process was too long and even with the occasional cool spot like the double foot stomps through the table, the slap exchange, and Ibushi's guardrail-clearing cross body weren't enough to keep this heated for more than a few minutes. Cody is a main event-level character but not a main-event level wrestler.

• GSR changed the title to [2018-05-03-NJPW-Wrestling Dontaku] Kota Ibushi vs Cody