Pro Wrestling Only

[2018-05-04-NJPW-Wrestling Dontaku] Will Ospreay vs KUSHIDA

ShittyLittleBoots

Feels very good to see KUSHIDA back in singles action, because it's been way too long since the last time. And of course his performance was absolutely fabulous; loved the way he controlled Ospreay in the beginning & the neck targeting that got more & more brutal as the match went on was AWESOME w/ a big A. Ospreay's selling was pretty good & he was a solid FIP overall, but yeah, it's KUSHIDA on the offense that made this match for me. ***3/4

Another great match between these two. Excellent learned psychology as both seemed to have counters and escapes for each other's signature moves. Ospreay was back in full screaming mode which is always obnoxious, but he still did a really good job selling damage to the neck and arm. KUSHIDA was an offensive dynamo as he hit a dragonrana, a jumping DDT to the floor, and a brutal knockout punch. Still, Ospreay's resilience won out in a hot comeback.

****1/2.

Another great match between these two. Excellent learned psychology as both seemed to have counters and escapes for each other's signature moves. Ospreay was back in full screaming mode which is always obnoxious, but he still did a really good job selling damage to the neck and arm. KUSHIDA was an offensive dynamo as he hit a dragonrana, a jumping DDT to the floor, and a brutal knockout punch. Still, Ospreay's resilience won out in a hot comeback.

****1/2.

Boss Rock touched upon all of my high level thoughts on from this match. Perhaps a bit more screaming from Ospreay than I'd like, but since the Scurll match at Sakura Genesis his selling has been terrific and that continued. Whether it was putting over Kushida's typically excellent arm work or the attacks to his neck, the selling was great. That big punch from Kushida was absolutely terrific and one of those exclamation point moments that brings a match to a new level. Bonus points for putting together a compelling and well executed finishing stretch without going overboard.

****1/4

KUSHIDA's a right brutal bastard here. Ospreay's screaming convincingly puts over how much pain he is. Some big moves here, but my favorite moment of this match would have to be one of the simplest ones; KUSHIDA clocking Ospreay with a nasty closed fist.

This match shown KUSHIDA as versatile worker and Ospreay as a great plucky underdog champion.

★★★★¼

Funny how I turned the corner on Ospreay since the Mania Weekend. And now, since match, which was easily the best Ospreay match I've ever seen. damn, KUSHIDA is a great worker, his focused attack, his fabulous counters, his overall dickiness and the punch from hell (which got a world class bump from Ospreay), all of that made the match reached another level. Ospreay's selling was fantastic, although one can argue a tad bit over-expressive at times, but when you think back to Steamboat, really... Some of the sequences still looked a bit too on the quickie side, but that's the style today and Ospreay & KUSHIDA make them look mostly awesome, so why the hell not after all. No finisher spamming either, which is always noticeable and good. Great match indeed.

• GSR changed the title to [2018-05-04-NJPW-Wrestling Dontaku] Will Ospreay vs KUSHIDA