Pro Wrestling Only

[2018-05-06-WWE-Backlash] Big Cass vs Daniel Bryan

ShittyLittleBoots

One thing is for certain after this match: Big Cass is still green as shit in the ring. Now I thought the match was very good, but he offered a very generic performance. I liked some of his throws, but it was Daniel Bryan's amazing bumping that made the match as awesome as it ended up being; an awesome performance by the man as expected, with that fantastic bumping & great offense. Loved the dodge -> kick -> dodge -> kick sequence he did at the start of the match - that's a Danielson David vs. Goliath classic spot, right there. All of his comebacks, fighting from underneath were hype & I absolutely LOVED that finishing LeBell Lock w/ him punching Cass to keep the hold locked on - that same finishing sequence offered great comedy as well w/ Bryan having to remind Cass in a very "subtle" fashion that he had to block the hold. :D I suppose I am the highman on this one, but I thought it was a very enjoyable match & a great carryjob from Bryan. ***1/2

Really dull yet thankfully short match. I get they were trying to play up Cass' ego and inexperience by having him repeatedly taunt Bryan, but he just had no idea how to make his heat segments interesting. Bryan tried his hardest (even pulling Cass' arm is to try and set up an attempted block at the Yes! Lock) but just couldn't save this match. Like I said, it's a good thing it was short.

I actually really enjoyed this. Cass is obviously green as a singles competitor (although he did have some good performances such as the Fatal 4 Way where KO got the Universal Title), and Bryan had to hold him by the hand - literally - to get a good match.

The whole story was about how Cass projected his own past shortcomings onto Bryan, and he got his ass handed because of that. The post match beatdown was cool and people reacted the way the wrestlers intended.

Mission accomplished.

This was pretty good. Yes it was obvious at times that Bryan was literally guiding Cass by the hand but that doesn't really effect my enjoyment for what was never gonna be classic match anyway. I thought him grabbing Cass' hand to act like he was fighting back a block attempt was a relatively subtle way to do it. Bryan was captivating in most of what he was doing working his role and it told the story of Cass being too worked up about fighting his own insecurities to deal with Bryan properly and losing the match because of that.

***1/4

This starts off fairly strong with emphasis being placed on the height difference and Bryan going for Cass's previously injured leg was a nice bit of psychology. That's all I can really say about this as the rest of the match was very plain and vanilla.

Bryan carried Big Cass to an average match. That's an achievement in and of itself.

★★

This was much better than I expected. It was kept at a pace and organized in a way that would let Cass shine a little. Bryan is Bryan. Dude makes Cass look great. I assumed this would be fine and I found it quite enjoyable. Everyone looks good coming out of this and the in ring work forwards the story they are telling. ***1/2

That all said... I don't want to see these two wrestle much more.

• GSR changed the title to [2018-05-06-WWE-Backlash] Big Cass vs Daniel Bryan