Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 05/07 - 05/13

KawadaSmile

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are your thoughts on Ruby Riot, everyone? To me she was the glue to that very good triple threat, and she is probably the best wrestler in the Women's Division right now (Asuka is lost in the shuffle at the moment).

The way Cole and Graves describe her character on commentary, it would make it so easy to portray her as a face... she can be a megastar, to me.

What are your thoughts on Ruby Riot, everyone? To me she was the glue to that very good triple threat, and she is probably the best wrestler in the Women's Division right now (Asuka is lost in the shuffle at the moment).

The way Cole and Graves describe her character on commentary, it would make it so easy to portray her as a face... she can be a megastar, to me.

Do not hope and do not dream.

I've only seen her here and on the backlash preshow but I'm already a fan. Her look is unique for the WWE and she does some interesting stuff in ring. The commentators seem to be puting her over huge too. The three way was good but the crowd couldn't give a shit. They've generally been doing a good job with the women's division but the workers are not over at all which is a shame.

I like Cory Graves but I wish he'd stop with the post-JBL shades of grey shit. The show would be so much stronger with an actual heel commentator.

Ruby is on a roll lately. Seems like she is finding her groove on the main roster now. I was very skeptical of her as a heel when she glt called up but she seems to be getting it together. Logan/Morgan are still really bad and pointless, though. Since she had been a babyface for so long, I’d rather she stay heel for a while yet.

Are we creating ourselves a false narrative when it comes to Lashley. It feels like everyone has just decided that hed come in as a huge star with a monster push and be slotted into a big match with Brock. But nothing WWE have done has suggeated they view him at that level or prepping him for that sort of a rise. Im sure hell get there because everyone gets their turn at the top for a short run at some point bit I dont think theu brought him back to be one of the very top guys on either brand. So it almost feels unfair to be judging what theyre doing with him on a different curve to what theyre actually going for. Time will tell and maybe they are in which case its been really poor but atm I dont think so.

Which brings me to the second part. He hasnt shown anything since he came back to suggest he should be anywhere near that level of a push. I didnt see any of his TNA run but so far hes looked just like the same Lashley from a decade ago. Super bland with some nice athleticism spots. Hes everything Braun is but ten times worse at it. Its one thing not being booked to look like a star but hes had plenty of ring time to show something and hes shown absolutely nothing to suggest hed do any better now with the level of push he got in 06/07 than he did then.

Maybe he needs the heel turn and people are projecting his improved ability as a heel onto him as a babyface. But based on nothing other than what hes done in isolated matches theres nothing to suggest him vs Brock would be a match that would get over like the Joe and Braun matches did last year.

Are we creating ourselves a false narrative when it comes to Lashley. It feels like everyone has just decided that hed come in as a huge star with a monster push and be slotted into a big match with Brock. But nothing WWE have done has suggeated they view him at that level or prepping him for that sort of a rise. Im sure hell get there because everyone gets their turn at the top for a short run at some point bit I dont think theu brought him back to be one of the very top guys on either brand. So it almost feels unfair to be judging what theyre doing with him on a different curve to what theyre actually going for.

I feel the same way. After his tepid return on Raw, I'd be shocked if this was ever the plan. From jump street, he was not positioned that way.

God I hate Money in the Bank. I know it has been said 100 times, but as a gimmick they bust out once in a long while when it fits with what is happening around the main event... I am fine with it. As an annual event... blah.

Anyway, I just started the hulu version of raw and I thought KO vs Strowman was really good. I was expecting a squash there and they really delivered a solid little opening match match that got the show (and the qualifiers) kicked of nicely.

KO gets a lot of hate, but I like the little things he does like shaking his head when whipping Braun into the ropes to try the pop up powerbomb. Conveying the sense of "I'm not sure this is going to work, but it's my best shot" is the kind of thing you don't see much of in wrestling anymore.

It's still mind boggling that they feel the best approach for a guy largely viewed as being pushed down people's throats because it's who Vince wants as the top guy is to go with a "screwed by the management" gimmick. I can't tell if it's the company being so out of touch they might as well be on another planet, or the best trolljob ever.

It feels like someone in the company is solidly behind Ruby, especially when you consider how quickly she rose in the company. Signed in Jan last year, debuted on NXT pretty quickly, got on a few Takeovers (including a title match), then got to the main roster with a stable named after her, all in one calendar year. Since then she's had a PPV title match and has beaten two of the four Horsewomen in back-to-back matches. She's a great wrestler, has a look that makes her standout, is a decent promo, you have to think she's got a bright future ahead.

- I'm thinking Ruby Riot's match with Charlotte had an effect too. I know its not saying that much when you look at the rest of the card, but it was basically the Match of the Night at Fastlane.

On my blog I gave that match and the main event (a 6-way involving Cena, AJ, and others) both 3.5 stars, but if you ask me today which match I'd rather go back and watch, I'm definitely going with Riot/Charlotte. The WWE has had a pretty solid run of multi-man matches over the past 2-3 years, so its almost not special anymore when they get the formula right again - but Charlotte's babyface run has had so few memorable matches that it makes the one with Riot stand out as maybe the best match she had pre-Asuka of her whole SmackDown career.

- The first Lashley video definitely hypes him as a big deal and the amateur wrestling and MMA footage is 100% a nod to Lesnar. I think the plan is to heat Lashley up, its just typical WWE nonsense where Vince almost seems to want to bury a guy to see if they can overcome the bad booking instead of just, y'know, playing to a talent's strength. Like how they had Lesnar lose his first match back for no reason. Or, after investing months into Ryback, had him do a clean job for Mark Henry at WM29 for no reason. Or pretty much everything they did with Daniel Bryan between September 2013 and January 2014. I'm sure there's other examples too. That being said, its going to take work to make him a credible main eventer - but I predict he'll be steamrolling through guys soon enough and may even get a W over Reigns. The lingering question I have is where Braun fits in.

It feels like someone in the company is solidly behind Ruby, especially when you consider how quickly she rose in the company. Signed in Jan last year, debuted on NXT pretty quickly, got on a few Takeovers (including a title match), then got to the main roster with a stable named after her, all in one calendar year. Since then she's had a PPV title match and has beaten two of the four Horsewomen in back-to-back matches. She's a great wrestler, has a look that makes her standout, is a decent promo, you have to think she's got a bright future ahead.

Yeah, when she signed, I initally thought it was to be as a player-coach in NXT for a while until she became just a coach in a couple years. Pretty great for her.

God I hate Money in the Bank. I know it has been said 100 times, but as a gimmick they bust out once in a long while when it fits with what is happening around the main event... I am fine with it. As an annual event... blah.

Anyway, I just started the hulu version of raw and I thought KO vs Strowman was really good. I was expecting a squash there and they really delivered a solid little opening match match that got the show (and the qualifiers) kicked of nicely.

KO gets a lot of hate, but I like the little things he does like shaking his head when whipping Braun into the ropes to try the pop up powerbomb. Conveying the sense of "I'm not sure this is going to work, but it's my best shot" is the kind of thing you don't see much of in wrestling anymore.

I actually very much like KO and think the hate on him is overblown myself (but that is another conversation for another time). Regardless, I completely agree. He ads lots of little things that I think actually bring a lot to the show. Admittedly, sometimes they are misses, but he was hitting out of the park on RAW his week. I could also watch Braun run over him all day. The first shoulder tackle he took made me gasp as he nearly pinned his head on top of the damn guard rail.

That triple threat match at the end of RAW was dope too. I wont get to SD til tomorrow, but Raw set the in ring bar for the week pretty high.