Pro Wrestling Only

[2018-05-06-WWE-Backlash] A.J. Styles vs Shinsuke Nakamura

Superstar Sleeze

WWE Champion AJ Styles vs Shinsuke Nakamura -Backlash 2018

Well I see why no thread was created for this. I distinctly remember the WrestleKingdom being great, but this series has been totally heatless. This has been the worst AJ series of his WWE run. This was better than the Mania because at the least last 5 minutes was interesting. AJ worked a grinding style over Nakamura then Nak did the same thing not the best way to open up a grudge match. The chair throw then ricochet into AJ's face was nasty and definitely the most memorable thing about this match. Calf-killer into Triangle Choke was good and reminded me of the good old NJPW days. The ballshot psychology was great and when AJ did it got them a huge pop, but the double ballshot double KO finish was pretty disappointing just like this whole series.

I think this was the best of the series. While the last two matches saw them basically just having a wrestle, the intensity was turned up quite a few notches this time. Nakamura was aggressive from the onset and repeatedly disrespected A.J. with stomps and taps to the head. A.J. in turn was much more fired-up during his comebacks, hitting a forearm to the back of the head in particular. Still, Nakamura always seemed one step ahead until A.J. threw a chair at his legs (which reverberated and cut him up something nice). Both men trading low blows was good at first but then it got way overkill leading to an unbelievably anti-climactic and nonsensical double-finish.

Still, there was a lot to like about this match.

• GSR changed the title to [2018-05-06-WWE-Backlash] A.J. Styles vs Shinsuke Nakamura