Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestlers with largest timespan between 2 great matches

Jetlag

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a joshi wrestler that fits this criteria?

Aja Kong -- 27 years

tag with Grizzly Iwamoto, Nakano and Bison Kimura in 1990

vs Chihiro Hashimoto (2017)

Two others who are approaching that level:

Meiko Satomura -- 22 years

vs. Toshiyo Yamada (1996)

vs. Io Shirai (2018)

Ayako Hamada -- 20 years

vs. Mariko Yoshida (1998)

vs. Chihiro Hashimoto (2018)

Devil Masami was a good worker from the late 70s through to the late 90s and even her 2000 stuff hasn't been as bad as I expected. I'm sure she passes the 25-year benchmark. Jaguar, Chigusa, Lioness, and Aja would also be contenders. Apparently, I need to watch Chihiro Hashimoto matches.

The one that I strongly agreed with was Fujinami.

Yeah, I'm not sure if the Roy Regal stuff is great (it might be, I haven't seen it), but we could call the Ohno match in 2013 his last great one, right?

His first televised match against Marty Jones from 1986 is actually on YouTube and he already looks very technically proficient despite only being a skinny 18 year old, so potentially looking at 27 years as I can't imagine much footage before that exists, but I think we can comfortably say he's in the 20 year + category.

The likes of William Regal, Dave Taylor and Dave Finlay have to be in there don't there? All were having great matches well into the 21st century and all been wrestling since the late seventies/early eighties.

Finlay has got the Young David match from '82, although I've no idea what his last 'great' match would be as I don't follow modern Indy stuff that much.

OJ would have a better idea regarding Regal, however there's nothing that sticks out in my mind from his UK stuff until he arrived in WCW.

What's Steve Grey's last great match?

There's a few matches from the mid-2000s up on youtube. I remember Rob Brazier used to talk highly of the Steve Quintain bout from WAW, plus there's another on there against Jonny Storm. Whether that reaches the 'great' level... He wrestled as late as 2015, the issue is I doubt whether much of his stuff from the 2000s was taped (although I know PWF at one point put their shows on DVD as I used to have some).

A post from Rob in the GWE thread on Grey:

Longevity gives Grey an edge over a lot of the WOS guys too, they guy was flat out awesome in to the 00's, having really good matches with a wide range of guys like Taiji Ishimori, Marty Scurll and his old rival Mal Sanders.

I also saw him work heel once, it was spectacular.

Yeah, I'm not sure if the Roy Regal stuff is great (it might be, I haven't seen it), but we could call the Ohno match in 2013 his last great one, right?

The Cesaro match was after the Ohno match, and was his last match period. I have the Regal vs. Jones match from 1986 rated as a GREAT match, and the Tiger Singh match from 87 rated as an EPIC

The Cesaro match was after the Ohno match, and was his last match period. I have the Regal vs. Jones match from 1986 rated as a GREAT match, and the Tiger Singh match from 87 rated as an EPIC

Just went and rewatched the Marty Jones match, I would agree there. Not seen the Tiger Singh match though.

Great idea for a topic!

Along similar lines, which wrestler had the * shortest * time between two pretty great matches?

Examples: Bob Backlund vs Ken Patera (Texas Death Match, 5/19/80) and vs Dusty (5/27/80, in New Japan) - 8 days

Jumbo vs Misawa 4/18/91 and Misawa, Kawada, & Kobashi vs Jumbo, Taue, & Fuchi 4/20/91 - 2 days

Benoit & Jericho vs Austin & HHH (RAW 5/21/01) and vs E&C, Hardys, Dudleys (SD, 5/24/01) - 3 Days

(There is almost certainly an argument to be made for Kong or Hokuto and/or Kansai having done it within a few hours during the Big Egg V*TOP tournament...)

How early can you go for Steamboat? The Jericho match and his brief comeback in 2009 was a lot of fun. According to Wiki, he even had a match this year for AIW, though I've no idea if it was any good. But you could certainly get nearly 30 years up to the Jericho match

I am still quasi serious that I think we should do a footage-based "Greatest Peak Ever," with a 3 or 6 month period in mind and maybe no arguing between two peaks of the same wrestler. GWE focused on the whole career and GME focuses on one night. This would be somewhat in the middle (though you'd look at everything a wrestler did in that small period). I just think the arguments could be interesting and it could potentially put a whole different group of people at play towards the top (Guerrero becomes more interesting, for instance). I'm probably nuts though.

I am still quasi serious that I think we should do a footage-based "Greatest Peak Ever," with a 3 or 6 month period in mind and maybe no arguing between two peaks of the same wrestler. GWE focused on the whole career and GME focuses on one night. This would be somewhat in the middle (though you'd look at everything a wrestler did in that small period). I just think the arguments could be interesting and it could potentially put a whole different group of people at play towards the top (Guerrero becomes more interesting, for instance). I'm probably nuts though.

I'm envisioning 8-page threads on what constitutes "peak."