Pro Wrestling Only

[1976-12-09-AJPW] Dick Murdoch vs Killer Karl Kox

Edwin

If you are looking for big bumps, high spots, fancy matwork and thigh slap happy strikes to the air, then look elsewhere. This is just to chubby, mean dudes punching each other in the mouth, elbowing each others foreheads and caving each other's heads in with nasty knee drops and stomps. Great wild bloody brawl.

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1976-12-09-AJPW Tokyo] Dick Murdoch vs Killer Karl Kox (No DQ)
  • 4 weeks later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1976-12-09-AJPW] Dick Murdoch vs Killer Karl Kox (No DQ)
  • 5 months later...

Tubby old white dudes punch eachother in the face for 20 minutes and it rules. Jesus why are old fat dudes so much better at wrestling?? Just the sucker punch from Kox alone that opens this is greater than what any skinny young dude currently wrestling can do. Most of the match is Kox beating down and cheapshotting Murdoch, who in turn comes up with all these great wind up punch combos. Despite this being No DQ Kox makes it a point to HIDE THE OBJECT. I guess keeping it in your pants is handier than carrying it around all the time and risk losing it. This is really about two guys with a variety of ways to hurt eachother, and a variety of ways to in turn put over that hurt. Kox is just ridiculous here, bumping huge, whipping his head back anytime he gets punched (a very minor but important thing he does better than just about anyone today). The best moment is easily when he eats the Calf Branding, coming up with the blood from his brow and this „Where am I?“ look on his face, and then he gets fucking kicked in the face with the saliva flying out his mouth... aside from all the great punches there are also some vicious stomps and knees from Murdoch that really look like they land with a ton of weight right on Koxs face. The crowd is really into Murdoch as a babyface, and while the match isn't super heated as a whole they react to all the key moments perfectly. To utter some criticism, the pace of the match (at roughly 20 minutes length) is a little slow, but really... this is two masters in their prime working their craft. And you get plenty of old style Brainbusters to top it off. Million star classic, really.

• 6 months later...

Just watched this expecting to love it, and didn't. My single biggest pet peave in pro wrestling is  closed fist punches that don't leave a scratch. Two 300 pound men punching each other in the face and head for 25 minutes and neither man hurts their hand. Neither man's face gets cut or bruised until after 15 minutes. And there were over a dozen punches with brass knux before we saw blood. So a 25 minute match worked solely around closed fist punches that takes a long time to get going wouldn't be my cup of tea. It just defies logic and keeps me from suspending disbelief. Once it go going I enjoyed it. However the 10 minute stretch of just punches where they were both selling the accumulation of punches to the face but they weren't bruised or cut just took me out of it. To me this is an example of why closed fist punches should be used sparringly and when they do connect, it should be treated like a big deal immediately. Closed fist punches shouldn't be a way to slowly escalate the match.