Photo

I'm hosting a weekly podcast with Jerry Jarrett - help me out!

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 ...TG

...TG
  • Members
  • 890 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:36 PM

I would like to hear about the declining years of Memphis. From the merger with WCCW to when he decided to sell his portion to Lawler. I don't think that area has been explored much. 

If you ever feel comfortable with him. Ask about Gary Hart, if you can be discreet doing it. 

What's his history with Hart? Why would Sean need to be discreet asking about him?

Gary trashed Jarrett in his book, including printing the (almost certainly false) rumor that Roy Welch is Jarrett's father. 

#22 Sean Liska

Sean Liska
  • Members
  • 1419 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 07:23 AM

Love it all! Feel free to keep adding here until the show is done, as far as I'm concerned (which hopefully will be a few years). I will try to get to all of these, I love the community here.

#23 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 3108 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, music, comics, beer, movies, history, sports...good manly stuff.

Posted 31 May 2018 - 12:11 PM

So when is this bad boy set to start?

#24 Sean Liska

Sean Liska
  • Members
  • 1419 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:55 AM

Next week. Cool announcement on social media coming today.

#25 Cox

Cox
  • Members
  • 1795 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 12:39 PM

I'll follow what's going on with this podcast here. Jerry Jarrett has become unfollowable on Twitter very quickly since he spends all of his time basically quote tweeting Bruce Prichard trolls. If I wanted to follow a Twitter account that quote tweeted Bruce Prichard trolls all day, I wouldn't have unfollowed Dave Meltzer.

#26 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 11242 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 12:42 PM

I'll follow what's going on with this podcast here. Jerry Jarrett has become unfollowable on Twitter very quickly since he spends all of his time basically quote tweeting Bruce Prichard trolls. If I wanted to follow a Twitter account that quote tweeted Bruce Prichard trolls all day, I wouldn't have unfollowed Dave Meltzer.

I think the lesson there is to run the podcast straight without gimmicks or attempts at buzz worthy feuding.

#27 Mrzfn

Mrzfn
  • Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 12:43 PM

And he just called a fan gay as an insult. Well, wasn't that fun while it lasted.

#28 Sean Liska

Sean Liska
  • Members
  • 1419 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 02:02 PM

And he just called a fan gay as an insult. Well, wasn't that fun while it lasted.

Jerry has a long history in his personal and professional life of not being bigoted, I would dispute that account.

#29 Johnny Sorrow

Johnny Sorrow
  • Members
  • 4765 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 02:13 PM

He made a bad joke. Someone was asking a bunch of questions about him, and he asked "Are you gay?" as if the guy was interested in him.
But sadly, what seems to work now are these stupid Twitter feuds to drum up business.

#30 C.S.

C.S.
  • Members
  • 2530 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 02:15 PM

These are the tweets:

matthew jackson
‏ @phenomenal256
Replying to @moonpie1977 @wdny1313 @JerryJarrett

Right but Memphis was one of the rich territories because Of Lawler bringing mainstream attention to it. How else do you think they managed to survive Vince for so long? They weren't a poor old outlaw fed, if they were Jerry couldn't have afforded that Mansion in Hendersonville

Jerry Jarrett
‏ @JerryJarrett
2h2 hours ago

Jerry Jarrett Retweeted matthew jackson

You seem strangely attracted to me, my success, my wrath, my house, and you also seem to like my insults. Are you gay by any chance?

Not an insult exactly, but definitely immature and misguided.

His entire Twitter seems like a drunken Southern shitshow.

As far as Twitter goes, it seems that "working feuds" and "feeding the trolls" is what attracts attention, unfortunately. We've seen it from Meltzer and others too. Not my cup of tea at all, but there must be some "business" reason for doing this, right? (As Sorrow also pointed out right above my post.)

With that said, Jerry Jarrett's experience and knowledge, and his status as the "last man standing" in the territories, should make for an incredible podcast. As long as the podcast is nothing like his Twitter, or his "humor" is limited to small doses, the sky is the limit IMO.

#31 Sean Liska

Sean Liska
  • Members
  • 1419 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 02:23 PM

These are the tweets:

matthew jackson
‏ @phenomenal256
Replying to @moonpie1977 @wdny1313 @JerryJarrett

Right but Memphis was one of the rich territories because Of Lawler bringing mainstream attention to it. How else do you think they managed to survive Vince for so long? They weren't a poor old outlaw fed, if they were Jerry couldn't have afforded that Mansion in Hendersonville

Jerry Jarrett
‏ @JerryJarrett
2h2 hours ago

Jerry Jarrett Retweeted matthew jackson

You seem strangely attracted to me, my success, my wrath, my house, and you also seem to like my insults. Are you gay by any chance?

Not an insult exactly, but definitely immature and misguided.

His entire Twitter seems like a drunken Southern shitshow.

As far as Twitter goes, it seems that "working feuds" and "feeding the trolls" is what attracts attention, unfortunately. We've seen it from Meltzer and others too. Not my cup of tea at all, but there must be some "business" reason for doing this, right? (As Sorrow also pointed out right above my post.)

With that said, Jerry Jarrett's experience and knowledge, and his status as the "last man standing" in the territories, should make for an incredible podcast. As long as the podcast is nothing like his Twitter, or his "humor" is limited to small doses, the sky is the limit IMO.

I would agree with most of this. I envision podcast Jerry and Twitter Jerry having a very similar distinction like Meltzer.

#32 SomethingSavage

SomethingSavage
  • Members
  • 1208 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:58 PM

I despise all things Twitter and tweet-oriented, but that "moonpie1977" sounds like the handle of someone I should follow.

Or am I doing it wrong?

:D

In all seriousness, I'm genuinely excited about this project. I couldn't give any less of a shit about what happens on wrestling Twitter.

#33 Sean Liska

Sean Liska
  • Members
  • 1419 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:36 AM

Any fun questions on the Kaufman-Lawler feud that haven't been covered? I know this is a topic that's been hit hard but we have to do an episode on it, it's what the people want.

#34 Migs

Migs
  • Members
  • 1365 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:00 AM

Any fun questions on the Kaufman-Lawler feud that haven't been covered? I know this is a topic that's been hit hard but we have to do an episode on it, it's what the people want.

I think people have been told the general story, but I don't think we've gotten a really deep dive on what went on behind the scenes. I also think the story is always told about Lawler and Kaufman putting this together, but obviously Jarrett was very involved as well, and I'd be curious to know about his role. To that end, a few questions:

- The story has always been that the first phone call was Kaufman and Lawler (brokered by Bill Apter). When did Jerry get involved? Who laid out the angle? What were the negotiations with Kaufman like past the first conversation where there was mutual interest?

- Were Lawler and Jarrett giving him any direction on the promos? If so, what?

- What was the vibe in the dressing room like? Did Kaufman interact with everybody?

- What did Jarrett know about the Letterman incident beforehand?

- How much does he credit Kaufman with building business? How long did the bump last? Does he feel it had a lasting positive impact on the promotion from all the publicity?

I'd also be into any stray untold Andy Kaufman stories. Endlessly fascinating guy.

#35 JHawk

JHawk
  • Members
  • 927 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:12 AM

I would love to hear his side of the split with Nick Gulas and the beginnings of promoting Memphis as Gulas' competition

#36 Sean Liska

Sean Liska
  • Members
  • 1419 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:24 AM

I think people have been told the general story, but I don't think we've gotten a really deep dive on what went on behind the scenes. I also think the story is always told about Lawler and Kaufman putting this together, but obviously Jarrett was very involved as well, and I'd be curious to know about his role. To that end, a few questions:

- The story has always been that the first phone call was Kaufman and Lawler (brokered by Bill Apter). When did Jerry get involved? Who laid out the angle? What were the negotiations with Kaufman like past the first conversation where there was mutual interest?

- Were Lawler and Jarrett giving him any direction on the promos? If so, what?

- What was the vibe in the dressing room like? Did Kaufman interact with everybody?

- What did Jarrett know about the Letterman incident beforehand?

- How much does he credit Kaufman with building business? How long did the bump last? Does he feel it had a lasting positive impact on the promotion from all the publicity?

I'd also be into any stray untold Andy Kaufman stories. Endlessly fascinating guy.

Thanks! Great stuff.

#37 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 11242 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:37 AM

Re: Kaufman and trying to think of something from an angle that'd be interesting.

Obviously Memphis is very different from the New York wrestling he grew up with. I'd be curious how familiar Andy was with Memphis wrestling in general, the differences in style.

I'd be curious what he thought about the in ring product itself, again, the differences in style. 

Does he think Paul Boesch really called Jerry Lawler after the punch? What were other promoters saying to Jerry Jarrett about running this sort of angle?

#38 Sean Liska

Sean Liska
  • Members
  • 1419 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:55 AM

I love this place. My goal is to do show you all find satisfying in its ambition for great wrestling history to have recorded forever.

#39 Sean Liska

Sean Liska
  • Members
  • 1419 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:39 PM

We just did a 10-minute practice run and I already heard a few stories that amazed me that I haven't heard. I'm not on here being a salesman, I respect Loss too much for that to use his board for that, I just think that people who love territory history are really, really going to like this show. We release our first episode Friday about Kaufman.

#40 Victator

Victator
  • Members
  • 1672 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 06:31 AM

I asked Jerry not to use "Tard" as a slur on Twitter. He apologized and did stop. So I have a lot of respect for him on that. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users