Pro Wrestling Only

[2018-05-16-WWE-NXT] The Undisputed ERA (Adam Cole & Roderick Strong & Kyle O'Reilly) vs Pete Dunne & Danny Burch & Oney Lorcan

SmartMark15

Roddy and O'Reilly have returned to their calling as big ragdoll bumping chickenshit heels. They look great bumping for the babyfaces and they put that little extra stank on it that makes a babyface comeback so satisfying. Burch looked great during his mat exchanges with O'Reilly and made a sympathetic babyface during the first control segment. Then we get Pete Dunne coming in as an intense, heated babyface and he threw some fantastic strikes and cut a great pace working against the heels. Oney Lorcan was a fantastic hot tag to end the last control segment and lead into the big finishing stretch. Great six-man tag and it makes me pretty excited for the UE-Burch/Lorcan tag match upcoming at Takeover.

****1/4

Great stuff... good blend of matchups, systematic tags, and controlled chaos going into the final stretch. My biggest complaint with stuff like this is that some of the spots get really contrived in the modern WWE product and these felt fairly well done. Sure the three submissions to a domino break spot was that very thing, but it wasn't done in a way that was eye rolly. Great tv main event. ****

One of the best TV matches of the year, NXT or otherwise. Pete Dunne played a surprisingly good face in peril the first half of the match and as soon as the hot tag was made to Lorcan, all hell broke loose. It was the best kind of controlled chaos where everyone is nailing big moves but nothing feels lost or distracting. Perpetual underdog Danny Burch getting a win was also very nice. ****1/4.

• 1 month later...

I'll admit to not being a religious watcher of ROH or NJPW, but I haven't seen a match for either the ROH or NEVER Openweight Six Man Titles that's as good as this. The Dunne/Strong exchanges were as intense as you'd expect, and I liked the nice touch of Dunne making his own save, by dodging Roddy with the flip off the top and then running to the corner and tagging in Lorcin. I could have done without the stereo submission spot, just because it's so overplayed, but it wasn't anything offensive, and the domino effect of the holds getting broken was cute. The miscue between Roddy and Kyle that led to the finish was cool, and it actually somewhat puts Kyle over, even in defeat, that it took eating the knee from Roddy, Lorcin's blockbuster and the double DDT to keep him down.

• GSR changed the title to [2018-05-16-WWE-NXT] The Undisputed ERA (Adam Cole & Roderick Strong & Kyle O'Reilly) vs Pete Dunne & Danny Burch & Oney Lorcan