Pro Wrestling Only

[2011-02-13-TNA-Against All Odds] Jeff Jarrett vs Kurt Angle

Superstar Sleeze

Jeff Jarrett vs Kurt Angle - TNA Against All Odds 2011

The promos and video package before this match are excellent. If Kurt Angle wins, he will gain custody of his children from Jeff & Karen Jarrett, but if Jarrett wins Angle has to give away Karen during their wrestling wedding, which I remember being excellent. Angle was great as a stoic badass keeping his poise, but you knew there was a burning rage inside. Jarrett is great as the smarmy prick new husband. Karen seemed pretty worried when Jeff put up her kids like that, but Daddy Jeff has got this.

I know these two have an incredible match together (I think that's from their 2009 feud), but this was not it. Incredibly bland. The only time there was heat was when Angle when outside and unloaded on Jarrett with punches, Karen slaps so he punches Jeff harder. I mean that was terrific. There rest was just as basic as you can get. Angle drives his shoulder into the post because Jarrett moves has to be the lamest transition ever. Basic heat segment. Angle run up the ropes suplex. Angle hits suplexes. Jarrett goes for the Stroke. Karen distracts the ref during the Olympic Slam; Jeff low blow. Angle recovers. Ref bump. Karen backrake and Jeff clobbers him. Jeff goes for the chair. Angle recovers and Angle lock and drags Karen in. Karen provides another distraction and Jarrett hits him with a chair for two. It is all very basic without any gusto. The finish is wicked lame. Angle goes for a Anklelock out of a sunset flip and Jarrett just sits down on it. I mean low blow, Super Stroke and a chair shot and that's what gets him the win? Great storyline, but color me unimpressed.

• GSR changed the title to [2011-02-13-TNA-Against All Odds] Jeff Jarrett vs Kurt Angle
  • 5 months later...

Yeah, this felt like it was going to go somewhere - the intensity was definitely there at the start - but it never really takes off. It's not the big intense brawl; they don't go over the top with interference; they don't have a big finish. Just Angle getting beat, on a reversal, not because of over-confidence or an attempt to get revenge. I watched the cage match at Lockdown that followed this, and it seemed to have the same problem - for all the talk of this being the most heated rivalry ever, the hatred just doesn't totally translate to the ring. Disappointing.