Pro Wrestling Only

[2018-05-19-NJPW-Best of the Super Juniors] Hiromu Takahashi vs Marty Scurll

ShittyLittleBoots

Well goddamn. I thought their RevPro & NJPW (did not watch the ROH one) matches from 2017 were trash, so I definitely didn't have positive expectations of any kind going into this. I am very positively surprised by what they put together here though - a really good match! Really liked Marty on top in the first half of the match, he was pretty damn awesome on control & Hiromu was good fighting from underneath - LOVED that sunset flip powerbomb to the outside comeback of his. After that the match becomes more of a bombfest, but doesn't drift into the overkill at all & remains very enjoyable in it's structure & the way they continued to tell the story they had been telling since the start of it. Loved the finish, too. MOTN. ***1/2

Marty and Hiromu are two very talented wrestlers imo, and while I didn't get the amazing epic I had thought I would get, this was still very enjoyable. The main problem I really had was both guys relying too much on their respective schticks to create some psychology, but it didn't grab me all that much. Also Marty's heat segment went a bit too long. Besides that, this match was still very great with cool spots here and there. Neither man felt on their A game for this match, but they still managed to put on a great main event, ****1/4.

Great match and probably the best of the tournament so far (even if it's only been three days). Marty continues to prove that he's an effective heel when he drops the arm flapping and other shenanigans instead focusing on trying break Hiromu's neck like he did Will at Sakura Genesis. Hiromu's comebacks are explosive and really makes you feel like he's going for broke. Lots of drama in the finishing stretch and the finish itself felt like a true last ditch effort by Hiromu.

****1/4.

• GSR changed the title to [2018-05-19-NJPW-Best of the Super Juniors] Hiromu Takahashi vs Marty Scurll