WWE TV $$$ Edition (0$/21 - 0$/27)

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#41 DMJ

DMJ
  • Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:42 PM

I'm kind of in the dark here - what exactly is Rollins doing that the guys in developmental are being told not to do? Wasn't the common knock against Rollins that, as a heel, his offense was too flashy, but now that he's a face, its fine?

As someone who only watches the PPVs (over the course of several days because who has time for these death marches?), I've definitely missed the Seth Rollins turnaround story. His match at Mania was okay - better than average even - but I thought it was more like when your lead-off hitter gets a single at the top of the 1st. They accomplished what they needed to. It was a good start to the show. The Rollins/Miz match at Backlash wasn't bad either, but maybe because I haven't been on board for Rollins' recent RAW run, I wasn't drawn in the way others were. Again, it was an above average match, but I think it sits squarely in that 3-3.5 star range (good not great) and I didn't really see anything new out of Rollins. 

Also, not to be too snarky, but as I don't watch RAW, I know I must've missed the episode where we learned what a Seth Rollins is. Is he still the Architect? What does "Monday Night Rollins" mean more than just being a pun? Does he have a new motivation? 

Just seems to me that Rollins being the top babyface on RAW has happened by default more than by anything he's done to expand his character based on the admittedly limited amount of the "new Rollins" I've seen. No kidding aside, what am I missing?

#42 Strummer

Strummer
  • Members
  • 4405 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:43 PM

A Lana squash!!

#43 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 11230 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:44 PM

So far as I can remember, the big issue in development is that Terry Taylor wanted him to rein things in and do less and go slower and try to tell more of a story and Rollins wanted to do the things that Ziggler's been forever held back for (as he defies the office to wrestle how he wants): hit as much stuff as possible (and bump as much as possible) with as much energy as possible. This was back in one of the documentaries, Breaking Ground or the SHIELD one from a few years ago or something.

Also, not to be too snarky, but as I don't watch RAW, I know I must've missed the episode where we learned what a Seth Rollins is. Is he still the Architect? What does "Monday Night Rollins" mean more than just being a pun? Does he have a new motivation? 

Now he wants to burn things down.

#44 Kadaveri

Kadaveri
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:48 PM

Rollins is reining himself in nowadays though, at least compared to 2015-16 where his main goal in matches seemed to be to hit every wrestling move invented within 45 seconds.

#45 BrianB

BrianB
  • Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:49 PM

Sell and do shit with resonance instead of just getting your stuff in and popping the crowd?

Is Seth the one not selling in your mind, or are you referring to wrestlers in developmental when you say that?

Are you watching the TV? Seth is definitely selling. It's not the kind of selling I'm crazy about, but he's gotten a lot better than the nadir of that HHH WM match where he does lots of flips, flying, and knee based offense and then momentarily grabs his leg afterwards. He's still spot monkeying a lot though.

#46 Matt D

Matt D

• Members
  • 11230 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:16 PM

I was mainly noting what the problem was vs developmental a few years back. It's pretty much the only thing Meltzer could have been referring to, especially since the NXT house style has shifted so much since then. We just had Almas vs Gargano a couple of months ago. I think Rollins is generally fine now if he's working a base, though he has a few aggravating spots (but most people do). He's somewhat less fine if he's working someone who's more apt to bring out his worst tendencies. I think he could have a really good match with a guy like Braun right now. 

#47 ...TG

...TG
  • Members
  • 890 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:02 PM

Bryan's dragon screw -> heel hook finisher looks painful, like a submission should.

Can't wait for Joe v Bryan next week, but it's also kinda sad, as it should have happened like a dozen times in WWE over the last decade. 

#48 C.S.

C.S.
  • Members
  • 2514 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:04 PM

Are you watching the TV?

The answer to this for myself, and I suspect many others here, is no.

PPV-only viewer here.

I'll watch the occasional NXT TV, but even then, rarely.

#49 Strummer

Strummer
  • Members
  • 4405 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:11 PM

I thought SD was really good night. Every segment and match had a purpose and they are hyping mitb nicely. Main event was great. I assume Cass costs Bryan the match next week against Joe

#50 SomethingSavage

SomethingSavage
  • Members
  • 1197 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:33 PM

I'm kind of in the dark here - what exactly is Rollins doing that the guys in developmental are being told not to do? Wasn't the common knock against Rollins that, as a heel, his offense was too flashy, but now that he's a face, its fine?

As someone who only watches the PPVs (over the course of several days because who has time for these death marches?), I've definitely missed the Seth Rollins turnaround story. His match at Mania was okay - better than average even - but I thought it was more like when your lead-off hitter gets a single at the top of the 1st. They accomplished what they needed to. It was a good start to the show. The Rollins/Miz match at Backlash wasn't bad either, but maybe because I haven't been on board for Rollins' recent RAW run, I wasn't drawn in the way others were. Again, it was an above average match, but I think it sits squarely in that 3-3.5 star range (good not great) and I didn't really see anything new out of Rollins. 

Just seems to me that Rollins being the top babyface on RAW has happened by default more than by anything he's done to expand his character based on the admittedly limited amount of the "new Rollins" I've seen. No kidding aside, what am I missing?

No. You haven't missed anything.

No. Seth has not found an identity or a personality yet. He's still Freakin. Or the Architect. Or the Kingslayer. Or whateverthefuck meaningless, hollow nickname he cooks up this year.

Seth has had the match of the night - or at least been in that conversation - on a number of occasions since January or February. That's really it. People started talking about him "being on a roll", and it just snowballed from there.

Nobody knows what he's supposed to be or represent. Nobody knows what he's burning down. Nobody knows why his idea of selling is the exact same as his idea of firing up - and both of those things seem to hinge on him hissing loudly. A lot.

Nothing much has changed. Maybe he's tuned up his pace a frog's hair here or there, but it's nothing that noticeable. He just happens to be the guy having the best matches on some of these oppressively long cards. He functions fine as the mid-card mainstay, but I still say his rep immediately suffers if they thrust him back into that main event spot.

#51 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 44062 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:06 PM

Really enjoyed Bryan-Hardy. Those two have a great match in them just waiting to happen and I hope they eventually get the chance.

#52 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 44062 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:08 PM

Oh, and Dave elaborated that yes, sometimes less is more but Rollins is showing that sometimes more is more too.

#53 Sean Liska

Sean Liska
  • Members
  • 1415 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 09:52 AM

Bryan-Joe to celebrate a billion dollar major network TV deal. What is wrestling right now. The 2004 ROH mark I me just can't even comprehend this reality.

#54 Matt D

Matt D

• Members
  • 11230 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:06 AM

Bryan-Joe to celebrate a billion dollar major network TV deal. What is wrestling right now. The 2004 ROH mark I me just can't even comprehend this reality.

I'm sure you'll feel better when a tall, awkward goon breaks it up to set up a different match with Bryan. 

#55 C.S.

C.S.
  • Members
  • 2514 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 12:56 PM

I'm sure you'll feel better when a tall, awkward goon breaks it up to set up a different match with Bryan.

No one wants Bryan vs. Cass.

No one wants Cass.

I always hear workers and types like J.R. talking about Cass's "tremendous upside." But why? Because he's tall? This guy has literally nothing going for him. He sucks in the ring, he's awkward at best on the mic (but I can see him at least improving this aspect of his game), and he doesn't even look big or intimidating despite his height - "the Khali factor."

If I were stuck at an abandoned gas station at 4 a.m. in a horror movie with Enzo and Cass, I'd be far more scared of Enzo because who knows what drugs he's on and what he'd do because he's so hopped up. Cass would just twiddle his thumbs and wait for Enzo to write something for him.

#56 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 11148 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 12:58 PM

In WWE, being tall = tremendous upside.

#57 Mad Dog

Mad Dog
  • Members
  • 5738 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 02:06 PM

You're forgetting he also has nice hair. Let's not cut him short. Sure, DB could have gotten a better match out of a broomstick but that broomstick doesn't have the same upside!

And I agree, I would be far more afraid of Enzo than Cass.

#58 C.S.

C.S.
  • Members
  • 2514 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 02:38 PM

You're forgetting he also has nice hair. Let's not cut him short.

Until Vince decides again that "everyone needs to cut their hair, damn it!"

What a strange ruling that was. Of course, the Triple Hs of the world at the time were exempt. Even Edge had to cut his hair a little.

#59 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 11148 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 03:35 PM

You're forgetting he also has nice hair. Let's not cut him short.

Until Vince decides again that "everyone needs to cut their hair, damn it!"

What a strange ruling that was. Of course, the Triple Hs of the world at the time were exempt. Even Edge had to cut his hair a little.

Any time anyone ever thinks reports of Vince's quirks are overblown, never forget the great hair holocaust.

#60 Mad Dog

Mad Dog
  • Members
  • 5738 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 03:49 PM

My favorite Vince is crazy story is him wanting to race Court Bauer in the parking lot and then trying to kill him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users