• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 11169 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:12 PM

I've been watching since it launched a few weeks back, and it's been quite an interesting show. You have young unknown guys in one match, Col. Robert Parker managing a team of bleach blond fat guys who look like they fell out of a time machine from 80s Memphis, Pentagon vs Fenix, all announced by Tony Schiavone. 

The first thing that you realize immediately that Tony sounds 30 years younger not being burdened down by WCW bullshit. He even threw in an "folks, we're outta time" at the end of the first episode.  It's amazing to see someone who had the passion beat out of him seemingly able to find it again. 

#2 Laz

Laz
  • Members
  • 581 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:52 PM

There's a ton about Fusion that I really, really love. It's great hearing Schiavone call wrestling again, the production values are top notch (something MLW had in the first go round anyway), and the show feels like how a pro wrestling program in 2018 should feel...but there's not a ton to hook onto.

The show is still young, though. These are the formative days, and growing pains are a-happenin'. It's a fun way to kill 45 minutes each week.

#3 Migs

Migs
  • Members
  • 1366 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:48 PM

Yeah, I've watched a couple and it's been a very pleasant way to spend 45 minutes. Good talent level, good pacing, nice variety. Going to check out the taping in NYC in July.

#4 Edwin

Edwin
  • Members
  • 1111 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:10 PM

I've been to all the MLW shows aside from the first one One Shot and they are all fun.

Riddle vs. Strickland is up on YouTube, but won't air on Fusion -- was amazing to experience live. Easily the one we've enjoyed the most live.

Riddle vs. Cobb, Janela vs. Allin and MJF vs. Yehi are worth watching, too.

#5 Blehschmidt

Blehschmidt
  • Members
  • 869 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 05:25 AM

This sounds fun, where is the best place to catch it?

#6 Migs

Migs
  • Members
  • 1366 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 06:04 AM

This sounds fun, where is the best place to catch it?

If you don't have beIN sports, it's on Youtube.

#7 Edwin

Edwin
  • Members
  • 1111 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 06:33 AM

You can also catch some of the non Fusion shows on their YouTube channel.

#8 Blehschmidt

Blehschmidt
  • Members
  • 869 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 08:53 AM

Thanks for the info! Just finished the first episode, not too bad. Super odd hearing Schiavone calling modern indy wrestling!

#9 C.S.

C.S.
  • Members
  • 2530 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:05 AM

Here's the link:

https://www.youtube....rtUSA/playlists

#10 Laz

Laz
  • Members
  • 581 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 10:22 PM

Watching episode 6 now. Damn, Santana Garrett is lame in the ring. Chelsea Green was the reason to watch that match.

#11 Laz

Laz
  • Members
  • 581 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 10:35 PM

Conversely, the Janela/Friedman segments were great, as is Penta's mariachi entrance.

#12 Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian
  • Members
  • 726 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, Sports, Games, Comics, Reading, Television, Movies, Sci-fi, Fantasy.

Posted 28 May 2018 - 03:45 PM

Here's the link:

https://www.youtube....rtUSA/playlists

Thanks for posting this C.S. Watched the first couple of episodes so far and its a decent little show.

#13 Laz

Laz
  • Members
  • 581 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 09:29 PM

Kotto Brazil does a lot of little things right.

It's interesting that Sami Callihan is at his most over and relevant when he's putting out his worst work.

#14 Migs

Migs
  • Members
  • 1366 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:39 AM

I've been enjoying the show, but I feel like I don't have a lot to say about it. Maybe because they don't have a big show that requires them to push matches with a bigger payoff.

It looks like the NYC show will have a 40 man Rumble / Aztec Warfare type thing.

#15 Laz

Laz
  • Members
  • 581 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:51 AM

I can see that. They're still firmly in the (re)building stage, though, and they're offering something different than other big indies.

Kotto vs. Swann, for example, would've probably been a spotfest anywhere else. Here it was a competitive match, and the slow burn on Kotto is going to make his breakout that much more impactful.

#16 Coffey

Coffey
  • Members
  • 4006 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:05 PM

I thought that the ACH/Austin Aries match would have been so much better than it was. Disappointing. I haven't finished the first episode yet, just that twenty minute match, but I plan on marathoning the episodes to catch up.

#17 Laz

Laz
  • Members
  • 581 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 04:42 PM

Episode 8 is one of the weaker ones, headlined by ACH/Fenix. Any time somebody hypes ACH I stop and think about how he does a lot of little things right but is never consistent enough or stand out from the pack. Hell, I think the best thing he ever did was a borrow a fan's Austin 3:16 vest at a PWG show and do some Stone Cold cosplay.

Callihan's faction was given some damn fine heat over MVP, and Kotto trying to make the save gives him that much more of a rub. They're slow-burning Kotto and hopefully he proves worthwhile (I think he will).

I also loved the Strickland/Ki segment. It's that kind of weekly storytelling that reaches all over the card I love.

#18 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5597 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:45 PM

There was just a local ad for MLW's upcoming NYC show on tonight's Smackdown.  Definitely did not expect to see that.

#19 hammerva

hammerva
  • Members
  • 2099 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:50 PM

I am only in show 5 of MLW Fusion and Tony might be one of the best announcer guys in wrestling right now.  I think the best I like him is that he hasn't one anything so far that the stereotypical WWE, TNA, and even Ring of Honor a few times guys do.  He just does his job.   He doesn't have some stupid "It's Boss Time" that he has to get in.  He hasn't flipped flopped from liking heels or faces too much.   Sure he doesn't really know the moves that well but at least he isn't trying to fake it or go 'WHAT A MANEUVER' on us

Does anyone know why Joey Janela is being managed by Aria Blake?  I mean she is fine but everyone knows that Janela and Penelope Ford are just great together

#20 Migs

Migs
  • Members
  • 1366 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:13 PM

I am only in show 5 of MLW Fusion and Tony might be one of the best announcer guys in wrestling right now.  I think the best I like him is that he hasn't one anything so far that the stereotypical WWE, TNA, and even Ring of Honor a few times guys do.  He just does his job.   He doesn't have some stupid "It's Boss Time" that he has to get in.  He hasn't flipped flopped from liking heels or faces too much.   Sure he doesn't really know the moves that well but at least he isn't trying to fake it or go 'WHAT A MANEUVER' on us

Does anyone know why Joey Janela is being managed by Aria Blake?  I mean she is fine but everyone knows that Janela and Penelope Ford are just great together

Listening to a lot of bad indy commentary for the PWO2K really drives home how good Schiavone is. The bad indy guys are always trying to define the move, even when they don't know it. You look much smarter by simply moving the conversation along and simply not naming the move.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users