Pro Wrestling Only

MLW Fusion, anyone watching it?

sek69

I've been watching since it launched a few weeks back, and it's been quite an interesting show. You have young unknown guys in one match, Col. Robert Parker managing a team of bleach blond fat guys who look like they fell out of a time machine from 80s Memphis, Pentagon vs Fenix, all announced by Tony Schiavone.

The first thing that you realize immediately that Tony sounds 30 years younger not being burdened down by WCW bullshit. He even threw in an "folks, we're outta time" at the end of the first episode. It's amazing to see someone who had the passion beat out of him seemingly able to find it again.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a ton about Fusion that I really, really love. It's great hearing Schiavone call wrestling again, the production values are top notch (something MLW had in the first go round anyway), and the show feels like how a pro wrestling program in 2018 should feel...but there's not a ton to hook onto.

The show is still young, though. These are the formative days, and growing pains are a-happenin'. It's a fun way to kill 45 minutes each week.

I've been to all the MLW shows aside from the first one One Shot and they are all fun.

Riddle vs. Strickland is up on YouTube, but won't air on Fusion -- was amazing to experience live. Easily the one we've enjoyed the most live.

Riddle vs. Cobb, Janela vs. Allin and MJF vs. Yehi are worth watching, too.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been enjoying the show, but I feel like I don't have a lot to say about it. Maybe because they don't have a big show that requires them to push matches with a bigger payoff.

It looks like the NYC show will have a 40 man Rumble / Aztec Warfare type thing.

I can see that. They're still firmly in the (re)building stage, though, and they're offering something different than other big indies.

Kotto vs. Swann, for example, would've probably been a spotfest anywhere else. Here it was a competitive match, and the slow burn on Kotto is going to make his breakout that much more impactful.

Episode 8 is one of the weaker ones, headlined by ACH/Fenix. Any time somebody hypes ACH I stop and think about how he does a lot of little things right but is never consistent enough or stand out from the pack. Hell, I think the best thing he ever did was a borrow a fan's Austin 3:16 vest at a PWG show and do some Stone Cold cosplay.

Callihan's faction was given some damn fine heat over MVP, and Kotto trying to make the save gives him that much more of a rub. They're slow-burning Kotto and hopefully he proves worthwhile (I think he will).

I also loved the Strickland/Ki segment. It's that kind of weekly storytelling that reaches all over the card I love.

I am only in show 5 of MLW Fusion and Tony might be one of the best announcer guys in wrestling right now. I think the best I like him is that he hasn't one anything so far that the stereotypical WWE, TNA, and even Ring of Honor a few times guys do. He just does his job. He doesn't have some stupid "It's Boss Time" that he has to get in. He hasn't flipped flopped from liking heels or faces too much. Sure he doesn't really know the moves that well but at least he isn't trying to fake it or go 'WHAT A MANEUVER' on us

Does anyone know why Joey Janela is being managed by Aria Blake? I mean she is fine but everyone knows that Janela and Penelope Ford are just great together

I am only in show 5 of MLW Fusion and Tony might be one of the best announcer guys in wrestling right now. I think the best I like him is that he hasn't one anything so far that the stereotypical WWE, TNA, and even Ring of Honor a few times guys do. He just does his job. He doesn't have some stupid "It's Boss Time" that he has to get in. He hasn't flipped flopped from liking heels or faces too much. Sure he doesn't really know the moves that well but at least he isn't trying to fake it or go 'WHAT A MANEUVER' on us

Does anyone know why Joey Janela is being managed by Aria Blake? I mean she is fine but everyone knows that Janela and Penelope Ford are just great together

Listening to a lot of bad indy commentary for the PWO2K really drives home how good Schiavone is. The bad indy guys are always trying to define the move, even when they don't know it. You look much smarter by simply moving the conversation along and simply not naming the move.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I happen to get BeIN Sports,SD and HD,on DISH I DVR it each week. But oddly the 1080 version that ends up on Youtube looks better than the HD feed I get.

FUn show. They got an interesting roster and a few people I have been wanting to see on TV. Would be nice if they keep on working in various deep south indie names. Never thought years ago when I was watching Fred Yehi in the Great Southern 8 at a Pro Wrestling EGO show,that he would end up on a nationwide show.

Is the 'Fulton' in Callihan's group the Sawyer Fulton from NXT?  I thought he got released so I figure it is

While I love Rob Parker, the idea of Jack Swagger as the 2018 version of Sid Vicious is pretty hard to swallow.  But at least he did squash and "injure" Jeff Cobb so at least they are going with it.

Episode 11 is the best one yet. Really solid interaction between Team Filthy and LowKi, a killer match between ACH and Swann (and I'm not even a fan of either), and Yehi/Guevara was a lot of fun. 

I love how they're building up the World title as being so damn important. Strickland/LowKi should be killer, the eventual Strickland/Callihan match should be fun, Promociones Dorado (I butchered that) are still in the wings, and Tom Lawlor still has a title shot coming up...if he survives Jimmy Havoc's revenge. 

Their show on July 19th looks solid: 

40 Man Battle Riot Match for a future World Title Shot

Basically this is LU's Aztec Warfare match (Royal Rumble with pinfalls/submissions counting as eliminations). Everyone on the roster seems to be entered plus they are bringing in legends and suprprises, they already have PCO listed as entered.

MLW World Title Match

Shane Strickland vs Sami Callihan

MLW World Tag Title Match

Pentagon Jr/Rey Fenix vs Drago/Aerostar

MLW World Middleweight Title Match

MJF vs Joey Ryan to crown first champion

John Hennigan vs Low Ki

Hart Foundation (Teddy Hart and Davey Boy Smith Jr managed by Brian Pillman II) vs Rich Swann/ACH