Pro Wrestling Only

[2010-10-03-WWE-Hell In A Cell] Randy Orton vs Sheamus (Hell In A Cell)

Superstar Sleeze

WWE Champion Randy Orton vs Sheamus - Hell In A Cell 2010 Hell In A Cell

Orton vs Sheamus, First Ever "Steel" Stairs In A Ring Match!!!!! It is funny in the PG Era of Hell In A Cell matches they have relied a lot on weapons to fill the violence left by blood, punches and stunts. There is no "weapon" on the rise more in the 2010s than the ring stairs. It has become a prevalent part of WWE to the point where there was a "Stairs" match between Big Show vs Rowan. They are more frequently used than tables at this point and I am surprised the WWE fans don't chant "We Want Stairs". The reason I bring this up is the last ten minutes or so centered completely around working spots on the stairs in the middle of the ring. They even worked an Irish Curse Backbreaker on the stairs, which Matt Striker tried to rationalize, bless his heart. You knew ultimately that an RKO on those stairs would be the finish and it was. It is just interesting that a "Hell In A Cell" really became a "Steel Stairs In A Ring" match.

On top of that, this match really forces the question is a reverse bearhug ok in a Hell In A Cell match? In the PG era, do we have to accept that these are no longer Hell In A Cell matches, but rather matches that simply take place in Hell In A Cell? Honestly, I don't think that is necessary. I think a fast & furious 10-12 minute brawl without blood can still live up to the Hell In A Cell name. It is just these 22 minute matches pretty much necessitate a typical championship match structure. That being said I don't get hung up on the fact that this was not a brawl but rather a traditional championship match.

So after all that, I do think this was a great match and the first great Sheamus match on the main roster. He spent 2010 wrestling the big dogs, Cena, HHH and Orton. He is a tremendous offensive wrestler with a wide arsenal and a great punch. Sheamus may have the best body shots in the pro wrestling history. The early Sheamus I have watched has not clicked until this match for me. I really thought he put it together in this match and Orton's selling of the ribs was great. I thought these two are well-matched because they both hit hard and they both like to throw hands. Sheamus targeted the ribs after knocking Orton off the apron into the Cell and then hitting a front suplex on the vaunted stairs. Orton did a great job verbally selling his agony and later on the match using it as a reason for him not to immediately capitalize. I thought the finish stretch was an excellent melding of the two's typical spots and use of the stairs. The powerslam on the stairs was nasty! That looked like it hurt Sheamus a lot. I liked the symmetry of Sheamus hitting two Brogue Kicks and Orton two RKOs. It really showed that they both needed extra oomph to take down the other. Sheamus' second Brogue came when Orton went for the Punt (his super special finish). Orton's second RKO came when Sheamus went for the Celtic Cross (his super special finisher). Orton double legged Sheamus on the stairs when he went for the Cross which was a good transition to rattle the Irishman. Orton then hit his second RKO on the stairs for the win.

If you just accept that this is a WWE Weapons (read: Stairs) Match That Happens To Happen In Hell In A Cell, this is a great match with great body psychology and great escalation in the finish. Orton was hitting hard and selling well. He was mixing his moves in well. Sheamus was an offensive dynamo and showed great poise controlling the majority of the match. Great WWE main event match. ****

• GSR changed the title to [2010-10-03-WWE-Hell In A Cell] Randy Orton vs Sheamus (Hell In A Cell)