Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling moves/holds I'd like to see mount a comeback

Loss

What are some moves that seemed to be fairly common in wrestling of the past that you don't see much anymore that you'd like to see more often? For me:

- Rolling cradle

- Swinging neckbreaker

- Flying bodypress

- La Magistral

- Abdominal stretch (when it's done well)

- Flying shoulderblock

- Powerslam (as a finisher)

- Stun gun

- Argentine backbreaker/torture rack

- Using a snapmare as a transition

- Double axehandle from the top

- Reverse roll-up (I refuse to call it a rolling crotch hold)

- Gourdbuster

- Texas Cloverleaf

If these moves are being used regularly by anyone, show me the way!

Speaking more generally, I miss really advanced pinning combo moves.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like a good gut wrench suplex. Does anyone use that anymore?

It's sort of swung back the other way, but for awhile no one was dropping elbows or knees--if a guy went down they'd lean forward with their hands on their knees, maybe making the "get up" motion, to prepare for the inevitable superkick or rolling elbow.

Braun Stroman's finisher is a Running Powerslam. Or do you just mean a regular one without the running before hand? To be honest he doesn't so much run as walk a few steps before powerslamming the guy.

I miss the piledriver but I am assuming its done more outside of WWE. I also liked that press move that Ultimate Warrior used to do where he would lift the guy over his head and then drop him behind him.

Braun Strowman uses a running powerslam as a finisher. And Tanahashi has used the cloverleaf as a secondary finisher for years.

I'd like to see the Calf Branding make a comeback.

Not a running powerslam. A powerslam off an Irish whip, a la Buzz Sawyer or Ted DiBiase.

Matt D stole mine...Short Arm Scissors.

Not trying to be a dick, but the one old school move I hate is the swinging neckbreaker. It looks so lame to me. I hate neckbreakers in general.

I think the rolling cradle would pop the crowd no doubt. Stun Gun/Hot Shot is a great transition move definitely should be utilized more!

I wish Bryan would bring the Cattle Mutilation back. I recall Naomi doing it once and getting excited that would be her finisher, but alas.

I'd also like to see more of:

Dragon Sleeper

Standing Powerbomb

Punching (so many people just do forearms)

Gutbuster

Military Press Slam

Shoulderbreaker

Knee Slam

Stretch Muffler (I've only seen Desperado and Callihan still do this)

La magistral is something that's still used from time to time, mainly with junior heavyweights in NJPW.

What are some moves that seemed to be fairly common in wrestling of the past that you don't see much anymore that you'd like to see more often? For me:

- Rolling cradle

- Swinging neckbreaker

- Flying bodypress

- La Magistral

- Abdominal stretch (when it's done well)

- Flying shoulderblock

- Powerslam (as a finisher)

- Stun gun

- Using a snapmare as a transition

- Double axehandle from the top

- Reverse roll-up (I refuse to call it a rolling crotch hold)

- Gourdbuster

- Texas Cloverleaf

If these moves are being used regularly by anyone, show me the way!

The Miz does a double axehandle from the top semi-regularly, and Sheamus still uses the Not-From-Texas Cloverleaf.

Goldust still does a Buzz Sawyer/Dibiase style powerslam, although he's making TV a lot less these days.

I miss seeing someone raking their boot eyelets across someone's face. And fistdrops. Gedo still wrestles a ton and I like his, but I miss fistdrop varieties.

Military Press is one that I badly miss and that is a great visual spot. You will see them very rarely still but in all the modern wrestling I watch it barely shows up.

Headlock takeovers off the ropes and/or flying headlock takeovers I miss quite a bit. That stuff went the way of the dodo as MMA and lucha started to influence the style more.

Back body drops are actually shockingly rare considering how much rope running there is these days. I saw one the other day in a Canadian indie match that took place in an MMA cage and it may have legitimately been my favorite highspot all year. So simple, but very effective.

I love me a good TRUE bulldog headlock. There are a few guys who do the Sting style grab the guy by the head/hair and dive down with him, but the traditional bulldog is very rare. I do think I've seen one or two guys do it recently but I can't place who other than Goldust a couple years back.

I was always a fan of the swinging full nelson variation that Patera and Bull Buchanan did sometimes. Looked totally brutal and was very simple.

I would legit love it if someone used a knee lift as a finish or at least a nearfall spot.

I used to love the Tazmission/Katahajime in ECW as a finish. I wouldn't mind seeing that again. Especially since everyone taps out nowadays & no one has to verbally give up anymore. It makes for a good visual because it's easy to see the tap out in that move. That's probably my number one.

Chickenwing was AWOL for awhile after the Bob Backlund days but there's a few people, like Asuka & Marty Scurll that use it now. So that's pretty cool.

I also miss the good, old fashioned Piledriver but I understand why WWE has moved away from that.

Seeing the Torture Rack as a finish again would be awesome. I never thought Lex Luger was a super worker or anything but I was always hype for his matches because someone might get Racked. When he put up Hogan and The Giant, I marked out.

Barry Windham style floatover Superplex would be cool to see make a comeback.

- Rolling cradle

- Flying bodypress

- La Magistral

- Flying shoulderblock

- Texas Cloverleaf

- Dragon Gate's Kness is still doing the rolling cradle. He's old and only works early undercard matches now, but it's there.

- AJPW's Joe Doering has finished a few matches recently with the flying body press - he's a huge dude, so it looks like an avalanche coming down on the opponent, it's great.

- Ultimo Dragon is still finishing all his matches with La Magistral. I've seen a fair few joshi wrestlers do it, but not as a regular thing - Kaho Kobayashi started doing a variation after a trip to Mexico but I don't know if she still uses it (it wasn't a great variation, to be honest).

- Again Dragon Gate - Big R Shimizu does the flying shoulderblock.

- A bunch of guys do the argentine backbreaker, it seems to be a pretty typical "big+strong guy" move in Japan. BJW's Daisuke Sekimoto and Yuji Okabayashi, WRESTLE-1's Koji Doi & Kumagoro, I'm sure I've seen AJPW's Zeus & The Bodyguard do it a lot as well. Thinking about it, I can't remember seeing it from guys who aren't in dedicated tag teams...

- I don't watch NJPW, but Hiroshi Tanahashi was still doing the Cloverleaf when I last did. Io Shirai does it as well in tribute to him.

I like a good gut wrench suplex. Does anyone use that anymore?

WRESTLE-1's Shotaro Ashino (great wrestler, by the way) does the Karelin Lift. Dragon Gate's Ben-K, too.

The Full Nelson Slam is a move I think we should see way more. It is one of those moves that always looks impressive.

Konan sucked, but the Tequila Sunrise was a dope looking submission that someone should bring back.

Somehow no one uses the slingshot suplex, or the jackhammer as a finisher, but if Big E ever gets a singles push he should use a slingshot jackhammer as a finisher.

That military press slam into a spinebuster Goldberg used to do was awesome.

A good monkey flip would be great to see used more.

The regular old school flying head scissor ala Antonio Rocca would be cool to see again.

The classic atomic drop Bob Backlund style would be fun also.