Pro Wrestling Only

[2001-01-27-WWF-MSG, NY] Steve Austin & The Rock & The Undertaker & Kane vs HHH & Chris Benoit & Rikishi & Haku

Migs

We're at Madison Square Garden for this one. The sound is a bit muffled on this one, so it's a bit hard to hear the pops, but Rock and Austin are definitely still super over. It sounds like Rock is the one getting the bigger chant, though.

This is a bit of a tough watch, as the camera keeps shifting up and away from the ring. Rock and Trips start and have their usual good sequence. Undertaker comes in and, uh, stuff happens. I sort of give up on following this too closely, as it goes from a decent shot for a minute to a blank screen the next. However, it's clear that the energy and heat are really good. Pretty long sequence of finishers and broken pins, so that the crowd gets to see all the big moves. Also, call the 2001 internet nerd police, as it's Benoit that takes the pin off the Rock Bottom.

Hard to recommend this one given the picture quality, but it was interesting.

• GSR changed the title to [2001-01-27-WWF-MSG, NY] Steve Austin & The Rock & The Undertaker & Kane vs HHH & Chris Benoit & Rikishi & Haku
  • 1 year later...

Good enough match although with most taking SmackDown off, I thought we might have something more meaty. I see that Angle defended the title against Jericho on this show. Angle is a top heel too but looking at the heel side here, it was apparent that someone was going to have to turn. Benoit is already turning face based on SmackDown and was used simply as the loss post here. Rikishi is on the downswing. Haku is ok but was barely house show main event worthy in 1989, certainly not 2001. So that leaves HHH and Angle and they are currently feuding with each other. The TV and product for WWF feels hot so far and the build to Mania is remembered as great but it is easy to see looking at this why they did what they had to with Austin. The best part of this match was the ebbs and flows allowing the babyfaces to shine. Rock vs Benoit was my favorite pairing and Rock ends up winning with a Rock Bottom. *** (5.9)