Pro Wrestling Only

WWF on Tour June 1986

LowBlowPodcast

That sneaky Roma fools everybody and takes the feud with the Rockers to another level. They couldn't of found a stronger partner than Tony Atlas. Fun 8 man tag, liked the friction between Demolition and the Russians. Great TV main event between Savage and Brown. Awesome showdown between the Horsemen and Hogan. Lot's of action coming up with SNME and Showdown at Shea. The Mega Powers coming together against the Horsemen will be explosive! 

944368.jpg

WWF Live
New York City, NY – Madison Square Garden
Hosted by Gene Okerlund & Lord Alfred Hayes

MAIN EVENT

INDIAN STRAP MATCH

Ric Flair © defeated Wahoo McDaniel when Bobby Heenan held Wahoo’s leg as both men were going for the 4th post. Flair was able to touch but Heenan prevent Wahoo from making the grab!

Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard w/ Bobby Heenan defeated Tito Santana & Billy Jack Haynes

Sting defeated Bad News Brown

Greg Valentine, Hercules, & Big John Studd defeated Curt Hennig & The Rockers

TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP

The Hart Foundation © defeated Demolition via DQ when the Russians got involved

Nice card here.  It is amazing what Wahoo could still do at nearly 50 years of age.  While his skill set was not that great, he was one tough SOB and he drew well with the fans.  He actually had over 200 matches in 86 and many as the main attraction.

Also, interesting to see who can be the top dog in a tag division with the Harts, Demolition and Arn & Tully

Strong card here. Flair and Wahoo in an Indian Strap at MSG is just to cool. I bet that crowd was on fire for that match. Tully and Arn pick up a nice win as they move up the tag team ranks. I really like the push Sting is getting. You can tell he's a superstar in the making. Great tag title match. I like that both the Russians and Demolition are gunning for the titles at the same time. Your tag team division is stacked with solid challengers. 

Once again, The Brain getting involved and helping Ric Flair to victory. He doesn't seem to care making enemies along the way but it might soon come back to bite him in the rear end.

I don't think Demolition will be too pleased with the Russians costing them the titles against the Hart Foundation. Another rock solid card at MSG!

That dastardly Paul Roma!  Great angle there.  Bret took a few for the team and Davey capitalized on the opportunity.  I wonder if there will be dissension after that.  Atlas and the Rockers are a good pairing.  Janetty and Michaels make up for what Atlas can't bring to the table and the other way around.  Great way to end Prime Time, hyping up all the big main event feuds.

Sting over Bad News is a big win.  The 6-man preceding that match would have been a lot of fun.  Arn and Tully against Tito and Billy Jack is a great semi-main.  Fans definitely got their money's worth in the main with Wahoo being added to the list of guys the Horsemen have screwed over.

WWF Presents: Saturday Night’s Main Event IX
Hartford, CT - Civic Center

6/28/86

Ric Flair:  Woooo! You are looking at the Prime Time main right here folks… Ric Flair… the one and only WWF Heavyweight Champion. When it comes down to it… there is no better man in the middle of that ring and Wahoo McDaniel… you are going to find that out tonight pal. I am going to dog you tonight in front of millions of people and they will all see… that I am… the Nature Boy and the Real World's Champion! WOOOO!

Wahoo McDaniel: I will be honest with everyone right now that this is one of the biggest nights of my career. I don’t think I have ever dreamed of being in the middle of this ring tonight and challenging for the WWF Championship. Ric Flair… you and I have been around the block a time or two and brother I know everything you can bring in that ring. I have talked to a couple of guys and we have got backup if needed… because tonight you are going to have to beat me… because the Horsemen won’t be a factor!

Bret Hart: A lot of people out there think that we are hurt or we aren’t able to go… well tonight on NBC… you are going to see just how much HART we have!

Jim Neidhart: That’s right baby… tonight… Russians… we are going to expire your visas. HAHAHA!

Slick: Don’t hate the players baby… hate the game. Harts you have what my Russians want and brutha… you have what we going to get. Those WWF TAG TITLES… now know this boys… we got your weakness and we know exactly how to exploit it and get exactly what we want… a victory… and those titles… hehe

Curt Hennig: This is one of the biggest honors of my life tonight to fight for a title that says you are the best wrestler on television. The World Title and the Intercontinental Title are great titles… they have great champions… but I am going to take the TV Title to that same level… I am going to show the world why I am the best… week in and week out!

Greg Valentine: They call me the Hammer for a reason Hennig… I hammer people into submission and tonight I am going to do that same thing to you. You’ve never held a title of this magnitude before… the bright lights are going to get really hot out there… and when you start to sweat just a little too much… I will be there to calm you down with a nice FIGURE FOUR LEGLOCK!

Bobby Heenan: Tonight is another great night for the Horsemen… tongiht Ric Flair takes care of that no good Chief Wahoo McDaniel and then Barry, Arn, and Tully all get to decimate Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage, and Tito Santana. Well let me be blunt… you three better head out of dodge right now because tonight the Horsemen are riding and they are looking for blood! Hulk Hogan… you are the biggest target of them all and you may be the one who falls the hardest. HAHA

Hulk Hogan: Well it feels great to be back here on NBC for Saturday Night’s Main Event and what better way than to face those stinking Horsemen in an even match. You guys run around attacking people left and right but rarely do you step in the ring with the odds even and fight… well tonight dudes… I have got the madness and the speed behind me and together we are going to Rock and Roll all over youuuuu!!!!

-We cut to Jesse and Vince who pump up tonight's huge card. They put over how this is a make or break week for the Horsemen or Hulk Hogan. They wonder who will bend and who will break. They put over the tag titles being on the line plus the conclusion of the TV title tournament. Tonight champions will be crowned and legacies will be created!

WWF CHAMPIONSHIP

Wahoo McDaniel vs Ric Flair © w/ Angel

-Man Angel looks amazing here tonight. She is truly one of the most beautiful women in the sport and she has such a presence about her. Flair and Wahoo come out to great entrances and then we get a great 18-minute match which showcases the best of both men. The WWF fans may have not been ready for the chop fest and both men have chests that are beat red. They work the crowd into a frenzy with Flair working over the leg and then Wahoo fighting back with chops and big time bumps. The final moments see Flair clinging to everything he’s got before Wahoo nails another big chop and Flair goes down. We see Angel get up on the apron here but she doesn’t have any shoes on… what the? Flair has got one of her high heels… Wahoo turns around and Flair jabs it right in his eye! Wahoo flies out of the ring to the floor and Angel jumps down. The referee is counting but has no clue what’s going on with Wahoo who is writhing in pain! He gets to 10 and Flair has won the match via count out! Flair retains the title and the crowd is not happy about it. Flair acts like he won the title again and gloats as the fans let him have it on his way out. Jesse and Vince put this over in a huge way as Wahoo is checked on by the medics!

TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP

The Hart Foundation © vs The Russian Assassins w/ Slick

-The return match from a couple of weeks ago but this time it starts off hot and the Harts come in with some big time shots almost leading the Russians to retreat. They go outside the ring with Slick but Bret and the Anvil come out and the fight is on. This is where we get our commercial break. When we return the match has slowed down for a moment but the Russians have control. They are beating down the Hitman something awful with his neck and back the target. The crowd starts to chant for him as he builds back up and again we get another hot tag to the Anvil and he flies in with a shoulder block on Boris! Chaos ensues here for a moment before Bret comes back in and it is 2 on 2. The finish is kind of messy when we see Slick pull out the Russian Chain and hands it to Nikolai and he just DESTROYS Jim Neidhart with it for the DQ! The Anvil goes down hard and we see Nikolai hammering down his back with the chain. The referee tries to stop it but Nikolai chases him off. Bret pulls him back out and the Anvil is hurt. The Harts keep the titles but this one is far from over...

SIX-MAN TAG

Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage, & Tito Santana vs Barry Windham, Tully Blanchard, & Arn Anderson w/  Bobby Heenan

-A pretty fun six-man here with Hulk Hogan being the shining star of the segment but don’t discount Savage and Tito who are also quite the namesake in there. We get to see Tito do a majority of the work until Savage comes in and he a Tully have an awesome exchange but Savage continues to try and get his hands on Windham who does everything he can to stay out of the way. It all builds to Hogan’s entrance which lights the fans on fire and they start to go nuts. He gets his hands on everyone and the highlight is actually seeing him and Barry Windham go toe to toe. Neither man gives an inch as chaos ensues but the finish is pretty fun. Savage and Windham brawl into the aisleway. Inside the ring we see Tito duck a clothesline from Tully as he goes flying over the top. Arn Anderson is whipped into the ropes for the big boot but stops short only to turn around and have Tito right there with a flying forearm! Here comes Hogan with the legdrop and the 1….2…..3! Hogan and company are the winners and they are going wild here in Hartford!

TELEVISION CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENT FINALS

Curt Hennig vs Greg Valentine w/ Jimmy Hart

-The one that many have been waiting for gets main event treatment on a card full of talent. These two guys don’t have a time limit. There must be a winner and they start off with some methodical catch as catch can wrestling. We see both men get in some offense and try to one up the other but neither can get the claim. We get a commercial break and then we see the breakdown.It is first Valentine who gets the upper-hand going after the hurt knee of Hennig. The youngster has gone through three grueling matches to get here and now the Hammer is exploiting everyhing he’s gone through. Hennig finds a way to fight back and he looks to have the momentum until Jimmy Hart sneaks his way around and trips Hennig for the Hammer to regain control. Valentine looks like he is going for the finish as he sets him up for it and then locks in the figure four leg lock! Hennig is writhing in pain and doing everything he can to move. Valentine has him in it for almost 3-minutes but it seems like an eternity! Hennig scooches and slides and slithers and SOMEHOW gets to the ropes! The fans can’t believe it as the Hammer tries to pull him back in but Hennig uses his good leg to kick the Hammer in the rear and send him flying! Hennig gets up but he can barely walk! He ducks a big clothesline and then comes back with a couple of nice shots and then a single leg dropkick! He can barely capitolize right now though and the Hammer is able to get back up! He grabs Hennig and gives him a huge suplex! He makes the motion for the figure four and then goes to lock it in but Hennig grabs him and rolls him through for the 1….2...3! Hennig has won it! Hennig has won it! He is the NEW television champion! The crowd is going nuts!

curthennig007ew6.jpg

-We see Sting, Tonga Kid, the Rockers, and the Bulldogs all run down and hoist him up with the title. The Hammer looks like he’s about to blow a gasket!

greg-valentine-04af5734-b1ec-410d-8618-a

-Hennig has won it and the fans are going wild. Jesse and Vince put it over in a big way. We are out of time! More to come on Prime Time this week!

On an interesting sidenote, I listened to one of Bruce Prichard's Something to Wrestle podcasts (don't recall which one exactly) where he explained the booking logic as to why the big match was always taking place early and he basically said that he was following the SNL formula where the good stuff always happened in the first hour and the less important happened in the second half. Not saying that Curt Hennig becoming the first TV champion isn't important, on the contrary, that's a huge win but it made sense to me to have Wahoo vs Flair right off the bat to get the crowd hot right away.

Very fun SNME! I have to say, I think Hennig/Valentine stole the show. What a great feel good moment on TV as Hennig wins the title. The pictures at the end sum it all up. Exciting 6 man tag match. Windham and Hogan going toe to toe was a great visual and I wouldn't mind seeing them in a program down the road. I'm sure the fans popped hard for that finish. The Tag Title bout ends with a DQ but the Russians make a huge statement here. The Russians have set themselves up as serious threats. Great World Title bout as Flair and Wahoo give the fans one heck of a chop fest. Flair proves to be the dirtiest player in the game and gets the C.O. victory courtesy of Angel's shoe. Great way to set up a rematch. After reading this, I cant wait to see what happens at the Showdown at Shea card. 

Flair's win over Wahoo is definitely going to get the fans even more hot at him.  The Russians continue to decimate the Harts by illegal means.  It's only a matter of time before the Harts don't have enough left to defend the belts.  HUGE win for Hogan and co. against the Horsemen.  If that doesn't get him a little closer to a title match with Flair I don't know what will.  Valentine/Hennig would have been match of the night in-ring.  Valentine's post-match reaction tells me things aren't over though.

wwf-prime-time-wrestling.jpg

WWF Presents: Prime Time Wrestling

Hosted by Gorilla Monsoon & Jesse the Body Ventura

Matches from: Worcester, MA - Centrum

Prime Time opens this week with footage from SNME. We see the controversial finish of Flair and Wahoo. We see Hulk Hogan and his buddies defeating the Horsemen. We see the Harts retaining the titles. Then we see Curt Hennig win the TV Championship in triumphant fashion! We cut to Gorilla and Jesse who are pumped up here in Worcester! They say we’ll have the final card for the big Showdown at Shea II this week. They put over how we will hear from the new TV Champion Curt Hennig. Plus the Horsemen are here! We’ve got a huge six-man tag main event with Hercules, Smash, and Nikolai Volkoff taking on Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, and Davey Boy Smith! Right now we see the man they call STING!

Sting vs Dark Patriot II

The Stinger is here and the crowd is going wild for this youngster. He looks awesome in action tonight and he is fast paced and a lot of power. He works the fans and gets them going before finishing off the Dark Patriot II with a huge Splash in the corner and then a big cross body from the top for the 1….2...3!!

Sting walks over and joins Gorilla and Jesse and puts himself over and talks about wanting to face the best that the WWF has to offer. Sting puts over how he has been searching long and far and he has found himself a partner! He says this guy can match strength with any man in the WWF. He can match intensity with any dude walking the earth. He puts over how at the Showdown at Shea… the Stinger and his partner are going to run wild!  Gorilla and Jesse put it over and then we cut to a special video highlight Andre the Giant and his match with Sika at the Showdown At Shea II!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfPaL-YWZPM

*COMMERCIAL*

77b539db71cc9f0ed4dbdd6cdd35f402.png

Prime Time is back with Jesse and Gorilla talking with Curt Hennig. He puts over how hard the tournament was but he was tested. He goes back to the King of the Ring tournament. He lays claim that this is a title that will be defended every time he’s on television. He says that he will accept any challenge and face anyone who wants a shot. That brings out Mr. Fuji with Don Muraco. We hear that Muraco is first in line for a title shot this week at the Showdown at Shea II. Muraco says that Hennig got a little too lucky in the tournament but this time he’s fresh and he’s ready to get what is rightfully his! Hennig says he can’t wait and looks forward to putting him down!

Jim Powers vs Don Muraco w/ Mr. Fuji

-Good showcase here for Muraco who looks good in his effort. Powers is able to get some offense in and he looks good for a moment but Muraco with a nasty throat shot and then he turns the tide and takes control. He finishes things off with a nasty tombstone piledriver for the 3 count. Muraco makes the motion for the title and he’ll get his shot this week against Hennig!

*COMMERCIAL*

63665.jpg

Prime Time is back and the Horsemen are here. WWF World Champion Ric Flair, IC Champion Barry Windham, Arn Anderson, Tully Blanchard, Angel, & Bobby Heenan are live and the crowd is giving them the business. We get a run down from each man as they make their intentions known…

Bobby Heenan: I said it from day one and all of you people failed to understand… this is not just a group of men… this is more than a family… more than an army… we are an indestructible unit that cannot be touched by anyone! Hulk Hogan… you came out on top at Saturday Night’s Main Event… or so you think… what you did was show your weakness. You see we’ve pinpointed every little piece of that body and we now have the plan in place. The Showdown at Shea… haha… Hogan… in front of over 50,000 people you are going to fall to the Horsemen.

Arn Anderson: Bobby Heenan made it clear and present for everyone to see and understand. SNME is in the past and the future is right here with the Horsemen. The future's right in front of us. Showdown at Shea… 50,000 people in the summer coming to see the best there is in the business of professional wrestling. They call July 4th independence day. Well Hulk Hogan… Wahoo McDaniel… Tito Santana… you day has come. There will be no last ride of Paul Revere. There will be no grandstand by George Washington. You are going to be facing the irresistible force and immovable object that is the 4 Horsemen! Hogan you saw that we weren’t afraid of you the other night… well come the Showdown… the weakness has been exploited and now you will pay!

Tully Blanchard: You know the thing I love about this whole deal is that people from all over the world are going to be in New York on the 4th of July. The baseball game. The fireworks. The Showdown at Shea. The END of Hulkamania! Hogan… if you think for a second you have got the upperhand on us you are mistaken pal. Everyone knows that you learn more from a loss than from a win. Well like we’ve said… it is pin point and we are coming for you. But Wahoo and Tito… don’t think we haven’t forgot about you. Don’t think for a minute Tito Santana that i haven’t thought about wiping that dumb looking face of yours across the guardrail! In fact… I Am going to put it on the line right now… Tito Santana… I am going to put you down and I am going to wreck that pretty little face of yours pal. You won’t be able to show your face and not even your mother will recognize you!

Barry Windham: Speaking of faces did you guys see Elizabeth checking me out? Huh? She wanted to come and be with the King… she wanted to be with the Champ… Randy Savage… when are you going to learn pal. I keep putting you down but you find a way to get back up. Well I guess that at the Showdown at Shea… with the title on the line… it is the final nail in your coffin pal. I am going to finish you once and for all and there will be no REMATCH!

Ric Flair: When you look at your television screen right now you see two of the premiere tag team wrestlers and singles wrestlers in the world. You see one of if not thee most beautiful woman in wrestling. You see the smartest manager. You see the King of the Ring. You see the Intercontinental Champion. And you see thee UNDISPUTED WORLD’S HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION! Hulk Hogan… you can’t say that. Randy Savage you can’t say that! Tito Santana you can’t say it! Wahoo you can’t say it! None of you can and there’s a reason… it’s because you are not a Horsemen.

Flair takes a moment to work the crowd and then comes back…

Ric Flair: I am going to lay it on the line right now. You ever watch a high stakes poker game and you see all the top players in the world… well you’re looking at em. We may lose a hand here a hand there… but Hulk Hogan… Randy Savage… and anyone else in our way… you better damn well know that the Horsemen ride together and we die together and when it comes to the game we will play the game. We will play it until all is said and done. The problem being you may put one of us down but there’s no way you can put us all down. We’re going to keep coming. We’re going to dog you right out of this business pal and remember one thing… Diamonds are Forever… and So are the 4 Horsemen! WOOOO!!!

They work the crowd and look great. The Horsemen are alive and well and they’ve got a big week ahead of them. Can Hogan and his buddies find a way? Can Savage find a way? Find out at the Showdown at Shea II!

*COMMERCIAL*

Prime Time is back and Gorilla and Jesse are putting over the night so far and the event this week. Gorilla and Jesse really pump up the tag team division and put over some new tams that will be coming on the block. They put over Sting’s new team… the Harts… Demolition… the Russians… the Bulldogs. Anything can happen plus we’ve got Power and Glory and the Rockers… We’ve got a huge showcase coming up now as we head to the ring!

Hercules, Smash, & Nikolai Volkoff vs Shawn Michaels, Davey Boy Smith, & Bret Hart

-Big time main event with a lot of star power.  The fun part about it is the dynamic. The babyfaces are actually working well together but it is the heels who are losing track. It starts outside the ring with some of the managers as Slick and Fuji are not working well with one another based off the 8-man last week. They start rumbling and then Smash and Nikolai start jaw jacking. The finish sees Shawn Michaels fly over the top rope and splash Hercules. Inside the ring Smash nails Nikolai with a huge elbow smash and goes out of the ring and Nikolai falls back into Davey Boy who grabs him for a backslide and the 3-count! The babyfaces win here and work the crowd while Smash and Fuji look like they’re ready to fight the Russians! What will happen this week with the Harts and Russians? Who will walk out with the titles? Who will walk out number one contenders between the Dogs and Demo? Can the Rockers get revenge against Power and Glory? Who will be Sting’s mystery partner? Tune in to the Showdown at Shea this week!

WWF Presents: Showdown @ Shea II

July 4th 1986

MAIN EVENT

SIX-MAN TAG

Hulk Hogan, Tito Santana, & Wahoo McDaniel vs Ric Flair, Tully Blanchard, & Arn Anderson w/ Bobby Heenan & Angel

INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP

Randy Savage w/ Elizabeth vs Barry Windham © w/ Sherri

TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP

2 out of 3 Falls

The Hart Foundation © vs The Russian Assassins w/ Slick

TELEVISION CHAMPIONSHIP

Curt Hennig ©  vs Don Muraco w/ Mr. Fuji

STRETCHER MATCH

Andre the Giant vs Sika w/ Mr. Fuji

TEXAS TORNADO

The British Bulldogs vs Demolition w/ Mr. Fuji

SIX-MAN TAG

Tony Atlas & Rockers vs Big John Studd, Hercules, & Paul Roma w/ Jimmy Hart

Billy Jack Haynes vs Greg Valentine w/ Jimmy Hart

Muraco is a good first challenger for Hennig. Who is Sting's new partner??? Main event was a lot of fun and sets up even more intrigue in the tag team division. The Horsemen promo was the highlight for me. It reminded me why they are the elite. I could listen to Arn promos all day. Windham must be driving Savage insane with those Liz comments. Flair tops it off and validates his points. Showdown at Shea will be an epic event. 

I like Stinger using the top rope crossbody.  Muraco as Hennig's first challenger is an idea I like.  Somebody in the right spot on the card who gives him legitimacy.  Holy great Horsemen promo Batman!  Main event 6-man was a creative way to cast some doubt on what might happen in the Russians vs. Harts feud.