79 replies to this topic

#61 G. Badger

G. Badger

Viceroy of Catlandia

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • Location:In my chair, watching Lou Reed press interviews from the 70's

Posted 09 June 2018 - 07:05 PM

This is really exciting and just took the survey. A quick question, will the blog section make the transition?

I've enjoyed blogging on here the past few months. OJ's Great Lucha blog is pretty awesome also so, I'd hate to see this go.

#62 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 44062 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 10:28 PM

It will! Everything that's here now will still be here. :)

#63 G. Badger

G. Badger

Viceroy of Catlandia

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • Location:In my chair, watching Lou Reed press interviews from the 70's

Posted 09 June 2018 - 10:36 PM

Oh awesome to hear that!

#64 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 44062 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:13 PM

Watched any good matches lately? Comment on Facebook if there's something you'd like me to write up. https://t.co/QymR5I35ru

#65 elliott

elliott
  • Members
  • 1364 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 01:07 PM

Somebody who is on facebook recommend that La Parka Tijuana trios match! :)

#66 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 44062 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:03 AM

If there is anyone here that is pretty skilled at design, if you could do some pro-bono work creating a logo for me, that would be great! I know what I want, but I just haven't been able to pull it off. PM me if you're willing and able to help. Thanks! :)

#67 The Thread Killer

The Thread Killer

The Canadian Wildman

• Members
  • 1326 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:16 PM

Regarding the logo, I posted my suggestion on Twitter for Loss but somebody told me it had already been used somewhere else by somebody or other.  I don't know who else ever used this style of logo.  I think it's pretty sweet.

pwo.jpg

#68 Zoo Enthusiast

Zoo Enthusiast
  • Members
  • 1855 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:52 PM

Too sweet, perhaps.

#69 dawho5

dawho5
  • Members
  • 4013 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:42 AM

Buy the shirt!  Wait, there isn't a shirt yet...

#70 JHawk

JHawk
  • Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:46 AM

Looking very forward to this. Not enough sites focus on the history of wrestling and the ones that do won't go into this kind of depth.  Can't wait to see what you do with this.

#71 Brian Elliott

Brian Elliott
  • Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 10:05 AM

Always glad to see something taken on so earnestly. Best wishes!

#72 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 44062 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:42 AM

Update: I planned to pull a regular report of the people who had checked the box indicating that they'd like to subscribe to the newsletter, but the report functionality doesn't meet my needs.

If you would like to subscribe via email, please complete the survey below. There is an optional field at the end for you to provide your email address.

Link: https://docs.google...._He88w/viewform

#73 Viking Hall

Viking Hall
  • Members
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Blood, Guts and Punk Rock.

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:08 PM

Sounds fantastically ambitious. Colour me excited. 

#74 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 44062 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:54 PM

Thanks again to everyone for their continued outpouring of support, interest, and encouragement.

The marketplace idea is going to come to fruition sooner than I thought! There's a simple, inexpensive add-on that can be purchased to make it an extension of this board. So you won't have to go somewhere else and create an account or anything like that. 

Just learned this tonight and it's very exciting!

#75 Lust Hogan

Lust Hogan
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:50 AM

I just filled out the survey as well and am really excited for you. As mentioned, let us know how we can help because we all want you to be successful.

FYI, I check the site daily or at least multiple times a week (Especially after major shows) but typically find it hard to post due to schedule but will fix that. Podcasts are HUGE for me and I like witty banter but prefer a more focused approach. Also for me excessive swearing/crudeness is a big turn off.

Looking forward to seeing how this goes!

#76 Log

Log
  • Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 02:24 PM

I just want to add to the chorus of support here. This is wonderful news and I hope it succeeds!

This is one of those things that I never knew I wanted until I heard about it. Now I cant wait. Ill be visiting daily, no doubt.

#77 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 44062 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 01:06 PM

Continued thanks to all. I just posted a sneak peek of a review that will go up on the first day: Harley Race vs Terry Funk from 07/01/77.

https://www.facebook...218984778891797

#78 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5590 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 04:43 PM

Really great review.  Looking forward to seeing more, especially as you dive into material and eras you haven't looked at in depth here yet.  Are you shying away from star ratings?

#79 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 44062 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 04:56 PM

Thanks. I'll rate matches, but not with stars. I'll be using a 1-10 scale, breaking down in 0.1. In reviewing 140 matches a month, I think I need something a bit more precise to make comparisons. Plus, I think Dave has recently made star ratings laughably irrelevant. I'll elaborate on this more later, but I really want those ratings to not just reflect the in-ring bell to bell, but to rate the match as an overall presentation, the lion's share which is of course the in-ring bell to bell. The flaw of star ratings has always been the awesome five-minute matches that no one's going to go all the way on no matter how good they are. Or the matches that do everything they need to do, but aren't technically great. Or the matches that are aided by hot promo work or a post-match angle. The 1-10 rating is not just "this is how great this match is", even if it's often that. It's more my opinion of how worth your time the whole shebang is.

#80 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5590 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 08:40 PM

Thanks. I'll rate matches, but not with stars. I'll be using a 1-10 scale, breaking down in 0.1. In reviewing 140 matches a month, I think I need something a bit more precise to make comparisons. Plus, I think Dave has recently made star ratings laughably irrelevant. I'll elaborate on this more later, but I really want those ratings to not just reflect the in-ring bell to bell, but to rate the match as an overall presentation, the lion's share which is of course the in-ring bell to bell. The flaw of star ratings has always been the awesome five-minute matches that no one's going to go all the way on no matter how good they are. Or the matches that do everything they need to do, but aren't technically great. Or the matches that are aided by hot promo work or a post-match angle. The 1-10 rating is not just "this is how great this match is", even if it's often that. It's more my opinion of how worth your time the whole shebang is.

Sounds like a win.  I love a detailed, qualitative match review as the best give me something to think about on the match at hand as well as impact what I look for thereafter, but absent some type of rating -- stars, letters, numbers, whatever works for the author -- it can be difficult to differentiate and distinguish.  Needless to say this sounds like a great way to address everything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users