Pro Wrestling Only

Guys who were with the company far longer than you remember

flyonthewall2983

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1996-97 WWF is full of this. Of course, you had the aforementioned Bushwhackers, but you also had Duke Droese (left in late summer 96), Barry Horowitz (left soon after WM13), Aldo Montoya (left that spring), and if you want to count non-wrestlers, Bob Backlund was still managing the Sultan as late as WM13 (and I think Iron Shiek lasted into December of 97). Same with WCW from that era, didnt Bunkhouse Buck, Craig Pittman, Greg Valentine, and Dick Slater last into 1998?

I saw a WWF match from May of '93 pop up on YouTube with The Nasty Boys. I always seem to remember that they were at least off television by February.

I think the plan was they were originally going to face Money Inc. for the titles at Wrestlemania that year but the story was they were so offended by Beefcake getting his face smashed in that they "stepped aside" so Hulk and Beefcake could get the shot instead. I believe Dave Meltzer said they were "suspended" for various conduct reasons and it led them being off the Wrestlemania card anyway. This was after the plan of Lou Albano coming back to manage the team as a face fizzled out.

The aforementioned Bushwhackers being around for the beginning of Austin thing floored me as well when I found out. Don Muraco and Junkyard Dog being around long enough to make the first SummerSlam is one that always weirds me out. Heck, Bob Orton could've almost stuck around for the first Survivor Series!! And then he almost made a random MSG card in 1990 before backing out. Johnny V is indeed another. They just stopped using him to manager or cover for Bobby on Challenge entirely and then Gorilla and co. would just bury the guy constantly on commentary even though he was sticking around for awhile to job on the house shows. What was the deal with that burial? Did Johnny V piss Vince off for one reason or another?

Albano would have been a good fit for the Nasty Boys.

I believe Muraco and JYD were fired for some backstage shenanigans during a European tour just before Survivor Series '88. Also might have been why the Bulldogs left too, but not before doing a big show like that.

Last thing I remember the Bushwhackers doing was some segment with Brian Pillman, then they were gone. I think in an alternate WCW where the NWO didn't rule everything, the Sheepherders could have made an interesting comeback.

Other than the Goldust feud, I can't tell you what R-Truth has done in the last five years.

Filling Santinos role of the loveable and inoffensive comedic goofball

Alicia Fox has been there for ten years.

See, you never know, that random back stage role character for a small amount of appearances could turn into something! ;)

Funaki was still around in 2010 iirc.

INDEED!

Speaking of which, is it wrong that I keep hoping he breaks it out every time the camera pans to him and his broadcast partner when they show the international broadcast teams? ;)

Iron Mike Sharpe still doing jobs on TV until 1995!

Pretty sure SD Jones lasted till 1990 (yup his last match was October 90)

SD was weird--he worked up through New Year's Eve 1988, then not at all in 1989. wrestlingdata has no results for him but I believe he did work for Savoldi and people like that. Then he reappears in mid-to-late 1990 for a few TV jobs and then is gone for good.

Speaking of nerding out over job guys, 1970's jobber Silvano Sousa suddenly showed up again in 1987 after years of absence to do a single shot, jobbing to the One Man Gang.

The Bushwhackers interacting with Loose Cannon Brian Pillman (he broke a crutch over one of their heads) is one of the weirdest collision of eras and worlds in wrestling history.