Pro Wrestling Only

WWE muscles ROH out of potential MSG date

sek69

Kind of quaint seeing WWE pulling some old school fuckery on a rival.

ROH COO Joe Koff did an interview with PWInsider today where he noted that Madison Square Garden said they were backing out of the show after "communications from WWE." Dave Meltzer reported last Thursday that WWE was doing everything they could to stop the event from happening and that it was possible they would succeed in doing so.

ROH was kind of flying to close to the sun thinking they could get away with running a show there during WM weekend without reprisal, but if WWE is not going to run anything but house shows at MSG due to cost I don't see how they can defend keeping other companies out if they are willing to pay.

I half wonder if this is by design on ROH's part to build a lawsuit dossier. After all, look at how much the threat of going after WWE for tampering scared them off for a while. So many guys left ROH and took a very random slate of indie dates while biding their time.

Don't really see this as a WWE/ROH thing. If anything it's a MSG/Barclays thing. As soon as it became known MSG was contacting wrestling companies about running there it was blindingly obvious it was a powerplay to try to get WWE back from Brooklyn.

But it's not like WWE isn't running the Garden, though. They're not doing TV or PPVs there because the origination fees that MSG tacks on for broadcasts are onerous.

I have a pretty good handle on pop culture, etc, but is there any other industry where one major company puts on a huge event and there are dozens of parasitical (symbiotic at best) feeder events that pop up around it from other companies? Are there a bunch of sister cons the same weekend of the San Diego Comic Con? Are there a bunch of other football games (not signings or whatever but actual games) around the Superbowl? Another film festival that attaches itself to Cannes without permission?

Don't really see this as a WWE/ROH thing. If anything it's a MSG/Barclays thing. As soon as it became known MSG was contacting wrestling companies about running there it was blindingly obvious it was a powerplay to try to get WWE back from Brooklyn.

But it's not like WWE isn't running the Garden, though. They're not doing TV or PPVs there because the origination fees that MSG tacks on for broadcasts are onerous.

Doubt Dolan is happy for his pride and joy to be getting house shows while Barclays gets TV regularly, not to mention Summerslam (+NXT) every year recently. Summerslam has been a big deal in NY media since they started in Brooklyn (it's the main reason they made it annual) which I bet he loves also.

I have a pretty good handle on pop culture, etc, but is there any other industry where one major company puts on a huge event and there are dozens of parasitical (symbiotic at best) feeder events that pop up around it from other companies? Are there a bunch of sister cons the same weekend of the San Diego Comic Con? Are there a bunch of other football games (not signings or whatever but actual games) around the Superbowl? Another film festival that attaches itself to Cannes without permission?

There's tons of video game related events that pop up around E3 and EVO not officially part of the show.

Haven't been to a SXSW in ages, but lots of non-SXSW shows put up around during SXSW week. The Slamdance Film Festival takes place the same week and within the same area as the bigger Sundance Film Festival.

Another film festival that attaches itself to Cannes without permission?

Tons of stuff happening at Cannes around the Festival that are not part of the official Festival. (well, the Festival is not about selling tickets either, it's invites only, you gotta *know* how to get them basically)

Besides, WWE doesn't get to be mad when they run an event that brings in wrestling fans from all over the world and other companies take advantage. TNA was rightly clowned a few years ago when they were seemingly the only company in the world not doing a show WM weekend, it's silly for any company that has the means to not take advantage of what's essentially a captive audience. WWE doesn't get hurt by other shows, if anything they get hurt by burning out their hardcore fans by running 5 straight days of shows all running 3+ hours (except NXT normally).

Doubt Dolan is happy for his pride and joy to be getting house shows while Barclays gets TV regularly, not to mention Summerslam (+NXT) every year recently. Summerslam has been a big deal in NY media since they started in Brooklyn (it's the main reason they made it annual) which I bet he loves also.

As someone that grew up in New York and was a huge Knicks fan growing up, you're absolutely right. I can see this being a pride thing for James Dolan, who may be the worst owner in sports right now, especially once Donald Sterling left the Clippers. He'll do anything for his ego, even if it means a power play like this to try and get WWE shows aired and back in the Garden. Even if it doesn't work. Dolan is spiteful as FUCK on a level that almost rivals Vince McMahon.

I mean, if he wanted major WWE shows back at MSG that badly wouldn't he be able to lower the fees so they'd run there again? It seemed like a cutting-off-your-nose-to-spite-your-face moment for them to start charging more to run shows at MSG when there was a shiny new building in town just looking to become the new go to place.

WWE seems to only see ROH as a small wrestling company that they can push around and don't seem to know or care that they are owned by a media conglomerate much larger than they are. One that happens to own a lot of the Fox stations they just signed a billion dollar deal to put their TV on.

Another film festival that attaches itself to Cannes without permission?

Tons of stuff happening at Cannes around the Festival that are not part of the official Festival. (well, the Festival is not about selling tickets either, it's invites only, you gotta *know* how to get them basically)

Similarly, Sundance has a plethora of smaller festivals around it, many formed as protest of their ridiculous fees and selection process. SlamDance, LapDance, even schlock peddlers Troma have their own anti-Sundance festival.

The other side effect of Smackdown heading to FOX I didn't think of: while I dont expect Sinclair to be able to preempt Smackdown without pissing off the main network, I wouldn't be surprised if all of a sudden Ring of Honor starts getting the Friday night 7pm lead-in slot before the main network goes live with Smackdown, or the stations that dont have 10pm news shows run it immediately after.

I mean, if he wanted major WWE shows back at MSG that badly wouldn't he be able to lower the fees so they'd run there again? It seemed like a cutting-off-your-nose-to-spite-your-face moment for them to start charging more to run shows at MSG when there was a shiny new building in town just looking to become the new go to place.

That is James Dolan in a nutshell, yeah.