Pro Wrestling Only

AJPW & NJPW Matches From 1976

Loss

>>1976

>>#1 - Billy Robinson v Giant Baba (AJPW, 07/24) *****

Best match of the 70s by a large, large margin. Incredibly modern, in that it could take place today and fans wouldn't be disappointed by the action at all. I think that even the best 70s AJPW stuff is typically going to require patience from the viewer, but this match was such an enjoyable breeze. Anyone who has enjoyed any matches from AJPW in the 90s owes it to themselves to see where many of the ideas appear to have originated. I don't think I've seen any other 70s matches built around so many false finishes, but the coolest thing about this is that this isn't a superficial match where the action is there because the thought is lacking. Robinson starts off attempting to be a nice guy, but as the match progresses, he gets more aggressive and more focused and gets the best shit-eating grin you'll ever see on his face after low dropkicking Baba later on. Speaking of the low dropkick, that's been a really common transitional move in the US since about 1995 when Eddy Guerrero, Dean Malenko and Chris Benoit entered WCW. It's one that was impressive at first, but it's been overused and no longer grabs my attention like it used to. This match made me appreciate the move again, if only because in the context of 1976, this wasn't commonplace and seeing Robinson pull it out was very cool. So much desperation in the matwork communicated through the pacing and facial expressions, so much build, and man, was Robinson ever laying in his shots. The corner forearm later in the match after the Irish whip was a thing of beauty. Brawling on the floor reminded me a lot of Akira Taue matches and the tease of the nodowa, and the match layout is eerily similar to Misawa/Kawada on 6/3/94. I'll be watching this quite a few more times.

>>#2 - Jumbo Tsuruta v Terry Funk (AJPW, 06/11) *****

Or is this the best match of the 70s? Depending on which day you catch me on, you're going to get a different answer from me. To me, this is the quintessential match that represents everything the NWA stood for -- the world-traveled champ facing the local young star on the rise, holding on to his belt in the end, with the younger guy coming out looking really strong. Really the oldest match of its style that I've seen worked like that. There have been other NWA title matches that have gone longer where the challenger pushes the champ to the limit, but I think what separates this is that it went the perfect amount of time. Any longer would have been too long, and any shorter would have been too short. Seamless wrestling, with the best "flow" of maybe any match I've ever seen. Lots of awesome chain wrestling and counters. Classic.

>>#3 - Jumbo Tsuruta v Jack Brisco (AJPW, 08/28) ****1/4

Similar to Funk/Jumbo as far as the dynamic in some ways, but not nearly at the same level as Funk/Jumbo. My favorite Jack Brisco match at this point, although there are still some key matches I need to see.

>>#4 - Antonio Inoki v Ivan Koloff (NJPW, 12/02) ***1/2

Local superstar against foreign menace done really well. Seeing Ivan Koloff young and spry is interesting. Good match that's lacking in some ways because there's nothing really spectacular to put it over the top.

The Funk-Tsruta is a thing of beauty. The chain wrestling and counter wrestling you make reference to was amazing. This match was a classic, and a match that should be discussed when discussing all-time great matches. I think your 5* assesment is very fair, and the same rating I have it.

Now the Brisco-Tsruta match is really had a lot of great things in that match also. Both guys work hold with each other on the mat. The Suplexes in the match were awesome. The overhead belly to belly that Tsruta gave Jack was awesome and had impact. Contrast that to an Angle-Lesnar match where there are like 30 suplexes in a match they lose their impact and become a transition. I also rated it 4 1/4*

• 1 month later...

I have always felt that the third fall of the Jumbo vs. Brisco match, with Jumbo fighting back from his knees after having his leg worked over mercilessly, is one of the highest expressions of the art of selling that I've ever seen. I'm glad, also, that it is one of those rare ideas that hasn't been stolen by lesser pro wrestlers and beaten to death in lousy matches. Also, this match makes perfect use of the three falls as a way to structure a match in three acts. Very few matches lend themselves so well to pretentious over-analysis, as well, which is one of the reasons I love it so dearly.

1976 is pretty amazing. Loss still hasn't talked about:

* the 03/28/1976 Jumbo Tsuruta vs Rusher Kimura (which is probably the definative "interpromotional match" of the 70s)

* the 05/01/1976 Shohei Baba vs Jumbo Tsuruta, which while not without issues here and there, is the best Baba vs. Jumbo match that I've seen. It brings a hell of a lot of positives to the table from both. Baba cuts Jumbo off several times with what might be seen as too much ease by some. But he also has been The Man of Japanese wrestling since 1966. This is halfway through his *11th* year of being The Man. Jumbo is essentially 1993 Kobashi at this point - super worker, super over, but a ways down the pecking order (behind Baba and a fair number of Gaijin like the World Champ and Dory, etc.). This of a younger, healthier Misawa after ten years of being The Man facing a 1993 Kobashi at a time when All Japan hasn't yet gone to have 30 minute TC matches (let alone 40+). Misawa would let Kobashi through him around a fair amount (as Baba lets Jumbo toss him around), but he'd also use the trusty elbows to cut off Kobashi with a lot more ease that he would with 1993 Hansen (the #2 guy in the promotion that year). So Baba cutting off Jumbo with what looks like a bit more ease that we might want *is* All Japan psych on how an Ace deals with a Rising Star.

* 07/17/1976 Jumbo Tsuruta vs Billy Robinson - their first singles match

None of those matches are as good as Baba-Billy or Terry-Jumbo... or to me as good as Brisco-Jumbo. But they all bring interesting and good (and at times "great") things to the table. It really was an interesting year. There are a *lot* of years in the 70s and early 80s where Brisco-Jumbo would be my Match of the Year. That's how good and interesting the years is - it's one of the best matches of the decade that's available, but it isn't even #2 for its own year.

John