Pro Wrestling Only

So is TNA still folding?

sek69

from WO:

--Impact set its all-time record for viewers on Thursday with 1.5 million, garnering a 1.1 rating.

There was much LOLZ-ing over them getting a low rating around Christmas time, I guess the folks who hate TNA but can't stop watching it every week so they can bitch about it are telling their friends to watch and bitch as well.

High ratings look nice on paper, but they dont mean much if PPV buys, which is where the money is, don't rise. They haven't. They key isn't getting more people to tune in for free, but that can help. The key is in getting more people to pay to tune in, and that hasn't happened yet. Truth be told, TNA are getting around 30,000 regular PPV buys today, and they were peaking at that four years ago. They might not be dead, but they aren't exactly turning them away, either.

I mentioned this in another thread, but ratings were probably going to go up regardless of Russo's booking in the short term. But lets put this record rating in perspective. The repeat of UFC Unleashed shown immediately after Impact drew a 1.0 rating, only a tenth of a ratings point lower than TNA's first run programming. It doesn't say anything good that fights that have already been shown on TV several times almost outdrew TNA's record rating.

The truth of the matter is TNA is almost certainly still swimming in a sea of red ink, despite their record ratings. PPV buys have returned to the same level after a brief boost from Angle's debut in the promotion, but now they have another big money contract they have to pay for every month. If TNA aren't struggling financially they would still be able to afford to pay for the hotel rooms and rental cars of their talent and help pay for Konnan's hip replacement surgery. The record ratings are just a carrot that encourages the Carters to keep plugging money into the promotion in the short term, but long term their revenue needs to increase significantly for the company to survive and thrive.

Guest savagerulz

High ratings look nice on paper, but they dont mean much if PPV buys, which is where the money is, don't rise. They haven't. They key isn't getting more people to tune in for free, but that can help. The key is in getting more people to pay to tune in, and that hasn't happened yet. Truth be told, TNA are getting around 30,000 regular PPV buys today, and they were peaking at that four years ago. They might not be dead, but they aren't exactly turning them away, either.

What are you basing your PPV buyrates on? I can't ever find anything.

And the reality is that it isn't even a real ratings increase. So if the highest they ever scored was a 1.1 and the lowest was a .9 or .7, where is the significant increase. RAW ratings fluctuate wildly by whole ratings points, not percentages of a point. At best, until TNA increases its buyrates consistently (like HTQ says), they are in a holding pattern in a company that is losing money. If the insignificant increase in ratings means a significant increase in PPV buys, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.