Loss

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My all-time favorite quote about wrestling:

"Just look at what I do for a living. My mother worked two jobs so I could graduate from NYU. If she could see me now, working with lesbians, midgets, faggots, freaks, druggies, dirty old men and all the other types of creeps." -- Herbie Freeman, ca. 1950s

• 2 months later...

The '10 Years Ago in the Observer" article today features one of my all time favorite lines.

Goldust (impersonating Dusty Rhodes) during his match with Bradshaw:

"Bump 'round fo' me boy I dun' popt' dis territory"

For some reason that line has stuck in my head for the last ten years and I still say it from time to time

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

"We're all glad that Sunny stopped working 42nd St long enough to come up here!"

-- Marlena, RAW 2.24.97

BTW, I totally dug the Rick Rude entrance that Sunny made during this segment. The more rasslin I watch, the more I realize the greatness of Rude.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Promo quotes from a random episode of Worldwide in January of '86:

"The first time, the devil made me. The second time, well, that was on my own." -- Baby Doll when David Crockett asked her about her first day with Dusty Rhodes

"Harley Race! You're a nut! In St. Louis, I'm gonna doublecross you! If you think I'm doing a job for you, you're sadly mistaken." -- Ric Flair

• 2 months later...
Guest secondcoming

"Hey, Hudson...I see you have wavy hair...It's waving goodbye" - Scotty the Body GWF

or, who could forget the infamous "...AND YOUR T-SHIRTS ARE TOO TIGHT TOO, BILLY!!!" - Luger

Guest secondcoming

so, in the tradition of the stickied "Quotable Wrestling", and something I saw today while watching One Night Stand 95...I thought I would start this:

When quotable wrestling goes horribly wrong. Something that was said, that in retrospect ended up being really bad...

The quote I am referring to is Joey Styles calling the Tanaka/Awesome match:

"Suicide Dive by Mike Awesome...and its a shame he didn't succeed in taking his own life"

now...I understand nobody could foresee future events...but, that's pretty fucking bad

Heyman was apparently feeding Styles (and Foley) lines that night over the headset, so I'm assuming that one came from Heyman (due to Awesome, without a contract, going to WCW with the ECW title). It's funny, because Mike Awesome, in a shoot interview he did, said that Heyman never had any problems with him during the Alliance era, which shows you how full of shit Heyman can be.

Guest secondcoming

(Re: HTM vs. Steamboat for the IC Title on Superstars)

McMahon: "An undeserving title opportunity in my book."

Jesse: "Why?"

McMahon "I don't think he deserves it."

brilliant commentary

JR and King on Backlash 2007. Melina has climbed the ropes and has Mickie hanging in the air by her neck. Lawler is questioning if that move is legal.

JR: "I don't think so, King. You've only been in the business 30 years. You know it's not legal to use the ropes. It wasn't legal last week or last decade."

King: "JR says that's not legal."

Guest secondcoming

JR and King on Backlash 2007. Melina has climbed the ropes and has Mickie hanging in the air by her neck. Lawler is questioning if that move is legal.

JR: "I don't think so, King. You've only been in the business 30 years. You know it's not legal to use the ropes. It wasn't legal last week or last decade."

ha...I don't know why, but I read this twice, and both times I literally laughed out loud

ha...I don't know why, but I read this twice, and both times I literally laughed out loud

It is quite amusing. Here it is, starting about 1:20 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCPxoEnBDfo. Listening back, I misquoted a bit because they say something in between the two lines. But I just love JR's tone when he admonished Lawler.

It is quite amusing. Here it is, starting about 1:20 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCPxoEnBDfo. Listening back, I misquoted a bit because they say something in between the two lines. But I just love JR's tone when he admonished Lawler.

I think they way they actually say it is even funnier. Lawler's "Come on ref, JR says that's not legal" is such a great dig at Ross' admonishment.

On that always cracked me up and I wish I could remember which ppv or Clash it was from. Maybe a Road Wild?

Dusty Rhodes and Larry Zbyszko are doing the show open and Dusty blurts out: "It's so cold it'll freeze the boogers up in ya nose!"

...Beat

...Beat

...Beat

Larry: "WHAT?!?!"

Heyman was apparently feeding Styles (and Foley) lines that night over the headset, so I'm assuming that one came from Heyman (due to Awesome, without a contract, going to WCW with the ECW title). It's funny, because Mike Awesome, in a shoot interview he did, said that Heyman never had any problems with him during the Alliance era, which shows you how full of shit Heyman can be.

Heyman could have just denied Awesome the pay day and the chance to make an impression on Vince McMahon by not booking him in a match. They didn't wrestle the type of match that Vince would like, but it was still a chance to impress on a national platform. Heck, Awesome beat Tanaka and then powerbombed a referee afterwards. He was put over as strongly as anybody on the show. I don't know if the commentary was an attempt to inject some of the real-life emotion of the old ECW into the show and create a heel in the match or if it was venting or what.

• Loss unpinned this topic