Chris, Nancy, & Daniel Benoit found dead

Bix

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Addendum...

One wishes the loons around the net who are trying to say Nancy may have killed Daniel and then Chris snapped on her would just shut the fuck up. Bix has pointed out elsewhere - time of death isn't difficult to establish, especially if they are as spread out as the appear to be in this case.

John

Not surprising. People will be in denial until it's 100% confirmed, rather than 99%. Even then, I'm sure some will grasp at hope.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/fay...0625benoit.html

Apparently the Benoit household has had problems with domestic abuse. I was surprised to see this now, because I don't remember hearing about it before.

One thing I can't seem to figure out -- did Benoit go to Houston for Vengeance and then leave, or did he call saying he wouldn't be able to make it? When was his last match with WWE? Did he wrestle at all over the weekend for house shows?

Benoit missed the Saturday show, but reports conflict as to whether he made it to Texas or not.

Depending one what shape Benoit's brain is in (in the literal physical & chemical sense) and how his internal organs look, this could very well be a breaking point Re: concussions & steroids. One of the guy's favorite spots WAS repeated legit headbutts.

Not really the time to toot my own horn, but I've been saying this from the jump. I really think when you make a career out of shit like that, you break in with the Harts, your hero is the dynamite kid, you are a roidhead..I mean god it's really the "perfect storm" for something terrible like this.

I am hoping that at some point, maybe in the bio, Meltzer will explain the real reason Benoit left for several months last year, as opposed to the "official" one, which I never really bought.

Agreed. That is going to be the source of much mystery and controversy for wrestling fans from now until the end of time.

Depending one what shape Benoit's brain is in (in the literal physical & chemical sense) and how his internal organs look, this could very well be a breaking point Re: concussions & steroids. One of the guy's favorite spots WAS repeated legit headbutts.

Not really the time to toot my own horn, but I've been saying this from the jump. I really think when you make a career out of shit like that, you break in with the Harts, your hero is the dynamite kid, you are a roidhead..I mean god it's really the "perfect storm" for something terrible like this.

Jesus, DW, you make it sound like you're proud that this happened. I don't believe that's what you intended, but please ease up a bit.

With the stories of domestic abuse Nancy Sullivan comes across as an even more tragic figure than Miss Elizabeth, escaping from one controlling, abusive relationship with a wrestler only to end up in another one. And Nancy's story is much worse because she was murdered by the man she loved, unlike Elizabeth who died of an accidental drug overdose. Very sad indeed.

One thing I can't seem to figure out -- did Benoit go to Houston for Vengeance and then leave, or did he call saying he wouldn't be able to make it? When was his last match with WWE? Did he wrestle at all over the weekend for house shows?

I don't think he ever got to Houston. At some point we'll get a more clear timeline. Some of the stories had a note about a 4 AM Saturday text message from Benoit. If he were flying Saturday, that would be before the morning before the hop from Atlanta to where ever the Satuday show was.

His last match with the WWE was the match on ECW TV last week.

I am hoping that at some point, maybe in the bio, Meltzer will explain the real reason Benoit left for several months last year, as opposed to the "official" one, which I never really bought.

I don't even recall the "official" one from last year, which shows how much I've been paying attention to the WWE in the past year. Can someone fill me in?

John

Jesus, DW, you make it sound like you're proud that this happened. I don't believe that's what you intended, but please ease up a bit.

How the fuck is it possible that anyone could read that as a declaration of pride? Honestly I'm baffled that anyone could come to that conclusion by what I wrote, but if that is how people read it I apologize as that wasn't the intent.

My point really is that people acting SHOCKED that Benoit would do something like this really ought to sit back and look at the big picture for a second. No one could have predicted THIS sort of tragedy, but he is a guy that had potential for tragedy written all over him.

The horrifying nature of the events just makes the realization of that even worse.

Given that Benoit was involved with domestic abuse in the past, this may not be a case of a "good guy" developing mental illness which leads to a horrible crime. It could be that he was always a violent person on account of the heavy steroid usage (or even without the steroids, who knows), which paints the entire situation differently than if it was caused by dementia relating to head trauma. I'd be interested in hearing if Benoit had any previous domestic abuse issues before the 2003 situation.

t he is a guy that had potential for tragedy written all over him.

Yeah, he kinda was. It's really stunning to me that, aside from Chris Jericho and Lance Storm, all of the Western Canadian/Stampede guys who made it big in the 80s are either dead (Davey, Bad News, Pillman, Owen, 'Quake...) or drained-out shells of the men they once were (Neidhart, Dyno, Bret...). It's genuinely nuts. I guess the guys like us who never made it are in fact the lucky ones.

I don't even recall the "official" one from last year, which shows how much I've been paying attention to the WWE in the past year. Can someone fill me in?

IIRC, the story Dave Meltzer reported at the time was that Nancy was recovering from major neck surgery and Chris took the time off to help her recuperate at home and look after their son. I assume this is what you were talking about Loss?

Guest godthedog

i think everybody figured in the back of their minds that horrible things would happen to him, in the same way that people talk about angle crashing and burning in the near future, but all of that is pretty firmly in the realm of being a danger to themselves, and causing their loved ones emotional trauma.

there are worlds of difference between the "something terrible" you expect from a history of steroid abuse and concussions (drug OD, paralysis, dying in the ring)--and "something terrible like this" (something i could only describe as fundamentally evil). entire psychology textbooks have been written about the difference between the behavior around the one kind of "something terrible" and the other. there is NOTHING in his wrestling history that could prepare anyone to speculate that something this horrible would happen.

i believe it will come out that this had much more to do with benoit's personal history than the wrestling lifestyle, but that won't (and shouldn't) keep vince from coming under heavy scrutiny.

They just had a press conforence..

key points

steroids found on the scene with a perscription

nancy killed on friday, daniel sat, benoit sun

nancy bound, blood present on her body

bibles placed at the feet of both of the bodies

benoit hung himself with the retractable weight wire on his weight bench

Fox is heavy,heavy into speculation about roids and to be honest I can't blame them, as this really does sound like it was drug related if we go off the evidence of previous cases involving roid rage/drug induced home violence.

Some speculation that the text message to Chavo including bible passages

Anyone else catch the press conference?

There were Bibles beside each body. Nancy was bound and wrapped in a towel, and had some blood on her, showing mild signs of struggle. Daniel showed no signs of struggle at all.

The deaths are believed to have occurred a day earlier than previously thought.

Chris used the cord from his weight machine to create a noose to wrap around his head.

Anabolic steroids were found in the home, but they were prescribed.

The WWE criticism was already in full swing on every news channel when this was over. WWE is about to go through some major, major shit.

Man oh Man what a tragedy. It sounds like Roid Rage like Fox is saying. WWE is going to have a lot of explaining to do about the wellness Policy. Shepard Smith said something like 60 guys have died in 10 or so years from drugs or other circumstances. I can only think of a few though.