Pro Wrestling Only

WWE 24/7 July-September 2007 Thread

Loss

Watching the hard sell shows for Starrcade 85 made me dig up the copy I made when it was the Big One a few months back. Upon seeing the build up, I wonder why was Krusher Krushchev facing Sam Houston for the Mid-Atlantic title? Houston was involved with Dusty and Magnum vs the Horsemen since they broke his arm, and Krusher was six man champ with the Koloffs who were feuding with the Rock n Rolls.

For that matter, why was there still a Mid-Atlantic title at that point? People talk about there being too many titles in WWE now, but Starrcade 85 featured 7 different titles, plus the nebulous "US titles" (Florida version maybe? Not the more famous ones that came later) Wahoo and Billy Jack Haynes held.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They have a Terry Funk-Chris Candido match up on the Shorties section that just symbolized so much that was wrong with WCW a the time. First Chris cuts a EDGY SHOOT PROMO~! bashing the WW*silence* and ECW for not having the leadership to recognize his talents, challenges Funk to a hardcore title match, and then they end up going outside to a nearby stable (they were in Idaho, so it didn't seem odd that there was a stable near the arena). They fight *INSIDE* a horse stall with THE HORSE STILL TIED THERE. Now Funk certainly knows horses, but Chris seems to know as much as you'd expect someone from New Jersey would, and ends up on the ground which results in the horse coming inches away from kicking his head off his shoulders to an audible OHHHHHHHH from the crowd. Tony of course comes with the insider terms like all the cool kids were using and states the horse has the highspot of the night so far.

I've never seen a promotion make itself look so bush league in a short amount of time.

IIRC, it actually did kick Funk. According to Terry's book, the worst part is the horse WAS tranquilized. God knows what that nag might've done to them if it hadn't been. And this being WCW, nobody even realized that they might need to dope up the horse until ranch owner Funk mentioned it.

The Legends show on the Monday Night War was a pretty fun thing to see. Eric obviously knew that the panel was stacked to try to gangrape him, but he ended up not only holding his ground but flat out owning people on more than one occasion. It also seemed clear that Hayes was Vince's puppet on the show since there was things coming out of his mouth that made no sense unless they were coached/fed to him. Like when he got upset at Eric for trying to put WWE out of business because it would have hurt the families of WWE employees/wrestlers, it seemed like such a Vince thing to say because what about all those families of WCW employees who lost *their* jobs?

It was interesting to see Lawler pretty much say what someone here stated about Montreal being orchestrated by Vince to get Bret to WCW. From the reaction of the panel it seemed to be the consensus that between Vince transitioning to a on screen performer and needed to get out from the deal he signed with Bret, it set the wheels in motion for the screwjob to happen.

Also, I don't think WCW gets the credit it deserves for the role it played in saving the WWF. RAW was such a horrible show by 1995, not even a "looks cheesy 12 years later" thing, even at the time it had terrible production values, cartoon gimmicks, Vince still announcing in 80s WHATTAMANUVER~! mode.... pretty much every aspect of the show sucked balls at that point. If Nitro hadn't have come along when it did to give them a boot in the ass, I really don't think the WWF would have lasted past the 90s.

Finally, wow did Foley come off as a big fucking baby at still being all butthurt over WCW giving the finish away of his title win. Did HBK (who'd be more likely to have a tantrum over anything) get this upset when they spoiled him beating Sid by saying "he beat the big guy with 3 kicks"?

Bischoff has correctly pointed out that Foley has a double standard, because he has used Bischoff's persona to get himself over at various points in his career. It was more of a stupid move to announce a world title change on a competitor's show to me than it was something that was in bad tastes. Really, way too much of a big deal has been made about it because nearly 10 years later, Foley still won't shut up about it.

Until either Hogan or Nash starts whispering into his ear, anyway. Then he tends to transform into a hand puppet.

As opposed to the rest of the guys on that panel who do the same for McMahon? Trust me, Bischoff is smarter.

It also seemed clear that Hayes was Vince's puppet on the show since there was things coming out of his mouth that made no sense unless they were coached/fed to him. Like when he got upset at Eric for trying to put WWE out of business because it would have hurt the families of WWE employees/wrestlers, it seemed like such a Vince thing to say because what about all those families of WCW employees who lost *their* jobs?

I'm not surprised to hear Hayes' attitude. Vince did a great job in the mid '90s of brainwashing his confidantes and plenty of his wrestlers that Eric Bischoff and Ted Turner had a personal vendetta against him and were on a meanspirited campaign to drive him out of business. Of course, the irony is Vince drove out of business every other one of Hayes' ex bosses (Fritz, Verne, Watts, Crockett, etc). I suppose if you ended up on the winning team and have still got a job, you don't care about that.

It also seemed clear that Hayes was Vince's puppet on the show since there was things coming out of his mouth that made no sense unless they were coached/fed to him. Like when he got upset at Eric for trying to put WWE out of business because it would have hurt the families of WWE employees/wrestlers, it seemed like such a Vince thing to say because what about all those families of WCW employees who lost *their* jobs?

I'm not surprised to hear Hayes' attitude. Vince did a great job in the mid '90s of brainwashing his confidantes and plenty of his wrestlers that Eric Bischoff and Ted Turner had a personal vendetta against him and were on a meanspirited campaign to drive him out of business. Of course, the irony is Vince drove out of business every other one of Hayes' ex bosses (Fritz, Verne, Watts, Crockett, etc). I suppose if you ended up on the winning team and have still got a job, you don't care about that.

Well yeah, and in the rewritten history of wrestling, Hayes gets to be the architect of World Class.

Wow, that Four Horsemen doc is horrible. Between saying the same things over and over again, just in different ways and with different footage (YEAH WE GET IT YOU LIVED THE LIFE) just to occupy running time, and Arn Anderson keeping kayfabe like a fucking retard, I had to turn it off before the first hour was up. Arn talking with a straight face about Ole being kicked out of the Horsemen for paying too little attention to the group and too much to his son was pretty much the breaking point for me. Hey fuck you Double A. Here's a hint: these DVDs about shit that happened 20 years ago aren't being bought by 12 year olds.

I actually liked Arn keeping kayfabe, simply because for people who don't remember the storylines or who are watching for the first time, he was able to explain things.

On top of that, Arn's charisma alone makes his recap of all those angles very interesting to listen to.

I think all of the original Horsemen were fine on the stick, even Ole. In fact, his promos such as that "lecturing father" type promo of Ole's that's about a half an hour into the documentary (the one where he predicts that Dusty will retire in 1986) are a nice contrast to Ric Flair's over-the-top charismatic promos (I also just really, really like that promo :) ). While he's nowhere near a top favourite of mine, Ole's becoming one of those guys I'm rediscovering and appreciating a lot more than I used to.

You guys are nuts. When I buy one of these "historic" DVDs that WWE puts out, the last thing I want is some old carny insulting my intelligence talking about how they hated Dusty and made such an impact by breaking his ankle. Shit, they might as well have had interviews with Liz Hunter and Dr. Sidney M. Basil as part of the show. I think you're giving it a pass because it's Arn, sad balding patron saint of unappreciated great workers~! and charter member of the Hall of Pretty Good. If it were a Hogan DVD and they were talking to him about No Holds Barred and he was like, "that Zeus, brother, he was an actor who lost his mind and almost ended my career, brother, but I beat him with the power of the Hulkamaniacs!" you'd be looking for your receipt from FYE.

In the latest NWA episode, there's a pretty obvious edit where they cut off Tony and David mid-sentence during the opening segment and go right to a Terry Taylor squash match. They then begin to talk about a Superstar Graham interview that apparently was what got cut out. Why would they cut something so random? Did he threaten to kill Paul Jones' wife and kids?

Tape damaged beyond broadcastabilty?

Seems like that was it, there's a couple parts in the show that abruptly cut out like that. I've never seen it happen on a NWA episode before, Turner seemed to take such care of their tape library.

Still, you gotta love how in the middle of what's essentially the go-home show for Starrcade they have an all-jobber six man tag team match.

Watching Nitro made me wonder: Is it considered a break of kayfabe in Mexico when someone wrestles out of gimmick and maskless? I mean, it would seem anyone remotely familiar with Lucha would realize "Rey Mendoza, Jr" is a maskless Villano (the "IV" on his singlet is kind of a giveaway too).