Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread

Loss

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has Wild Pegasus posted on any message boards since the Benoit incident?

Very little but I'm still around. Some people have been talking to me on MSN. I had decreased my posting for awhile now due to some life stress. After the Benoit tragedy I didn't feel like posting too much. I do have a lot of thoughts on the tragedy but I'm not sure if I'm going to go into them on a message board yet. I feel very sorry about what happened.

I'm pretty sure he has, just that he had his name changed from Wild Pegasus. I can't remember what it is to, but clearly, the Benoit worship is over.

I had actually changed my name on a couple of different boards before the Benoit tragedy due to various reasons and was pondering changing it on all boards. After the tragedy, I thought it'd be best that I changed it everywhere. I still have some boards where I have to change it however.

All this has led me to one key realization about the business as a whole. Wrestling needs not fear the loss of kayfabe. It doesn't matter if fans know it is fixed or not. Fans still CARE about who wins and loses, and that is the most important factor in selling a wrestling card.

Hell yes. On some of the various crappy li'l indy shows I worked (I know I KEEP bringing that up, but spending five years "in the trenches" as it were gives someone a lot of new perspective on stuff) the bosses would actually put more effort into "protecting the business" and "keeping kayfabe" than they would on actually just running a good show. They'd actually hold little locker room speeches where they'd bitch at the heels for going out in front of the crowd and talking to people. Not necessarily talking about wrestling, just talking to people period, like heels aren't supposed to crave human contact like every other sapient being on the planet. And then they'd book a five-match card full of retarded gimmicks (sometimes literally), racism, gay-baiting, run-ins, DQs, "he pulled my hair!", and many examples of how wrapping a dog chain around your fist apparently gives you the ability to knock out another person with one punch. Personally, I think giving the people their damn money's worth in the matches is much more important than endlessly worrying about how These Damn Kids Are Exposing The Business, but it seemed like I was in the minority.

I don't think the current problem with wrestling is as much the erosion of kayfabe, as much as it is that there's so much emphasis on having good matches that no one even cares to learn how to do an effective interview. There's a mindset in both WWE and in the indies that interviews are intended to be entertaining/nostalgic/funny, and the idea of using one to hype a show seems to be forgotten.

I'd love to see a return to the kayfabe days, but I acknowledge that there's no going back. However, what annoys me more than anything is when I'm watching a wrestling show that attempts to be overly clever and cutesy.

I don't see why wrestling couldn't go back to kayfabe, at least at some level. I mean it would require some retraining but wrestling fans don't seem to remember much beyond the last couple of years max so a 2-3 years of treating everything as legit would probably work on most of the fanbase.

I don't see why wrestling couldn't go back to kayfabe, at least at some level. I mean it would require some retraining but wrestling fans don't seem to remember much beyond the last couple of years max so a 2-3 years of treating everything as legit would probably work on most of the fanbase.

I don't see the possibility of going back, but if there was, it would take much longer than 2-3 years and the people in charge don't have the necessary restraint to hold out for 2-3 weeks, much less 2-3 years.

The only conceivable way I could see them doing this is some cross promotion with MMA groups, where pro-wrestlers are established as legit fighters instead of entertainers.

***Contains mild spoiler for people who haven't seen the TNA PPV yet ***

So apparently Dustin Rhodes showed up on the PPV tonight, which made me wonder: have two brothers ever been pushed in two competing promotions (US based, I'm sure it happens in Lucha all the time) at the same time? I'm figuring Dustin will get a push if he doesn't flake out because that's what TNA does with all former WWE guys, and Cody's set to get the rocket push at the Bash this year.

Yeah, Matt and Jeff Hardy, if you consider Matt being "pushed" in 04-05.

Dustin's been in TNA already, several times. They never did anything with him, he was always feuding with someone completely random and having bad matches low down on the card.

With media focus on wrestling at an all-time high, how smart is it of TNA to hire someone who has had pretty known problems lately and has no-showed several indy dates and a WWE TV taping where he was to start getting pushed hard? Just doesn't seem like a good time to put someone with problems on your payroll.

So apparently Dustin Rhodes showed up on the PPV tonight, which made me wonder: have two brothers ever been pushed in two competing promotions (US based, I'm sure it happens in Lucha all the time) at the same time? I'm figuring Dustin will get a push if he doesn't flake out because that's what TNA does with all former WWE guys, and Cody's set to get the rocket push at the Bash this year.

Two I can think of. Bret/Owen in 1998 and early '99. Eddie/Chavo in 2000/01.

Loss, of course it's not very smart, but TNA is run by desperate incompetent individuals who can't make their own stars, so they have to sign every drug addict WWE casts off, even if there is a high risk of them dying on their watch or no showing their PPV events or being extremely difficult to work with. That won't change while Jeff Jarrett, who likes his crack pipe, and his cronies run the show.

Hmm, I wonder how long it will be until Sabu returns to the Impact zone? ;)

TNA is run by desperate incompetent individuals who can't make their own stars

No kidding. At the PPV last night, the debuted the lovely and talented female indy wrestler Nikki Roxx... as the fucking Outlaws' new valet, to feud with Christy Hemme, doing a VOODOO QUEEN Mama Shango gimmick as "Roxxi Laveaux". How sad is it that, as corrupt and incompetent as the WWE often is, their closest "competition" is a hundred times worse?

Hmm, I wonder how long it will be until Sabu returns to the Impact zone? ;)

About five seconds after his no-compete clause is up.

Guest teke184

You'd think that TNA would have learned at least one lesson between getting no-showed by Scott Hall, Jeff Hardy, and Sean Waltman for PPV appearances.

Then again, you'd think they'd also have figured out that Jeff Jarrett doesn't have main event "heel heat" despite all their attempts to give it to him.

Watching the Davey Boy Smith vs Buddy Rose match on 24/7 made me realize how much safer it is to be a fat guy in wrestling.

It seems like not only are the fat guys from the 80s/90s still alive for the most part, most of them still look pretty much the same instead of the used-up and leathery look most of the jacked-up guys seem to end up having.

Except for Yokozuna, Earthquake, Bam Bam Bigelow, Adrian Adonis and the Big Bossman of course.

Or Haystacks Calhoun and Uncle Elmer, for that matter.

Heck, Ray Stevens and Gorilla Monsoon passed on in their early 60s. That's not exactly the longest of lives or anything.

Shit, this is getting depressing to talk about again.