Pro Wrestling Only

Ridiculous quotes from WO.com columnists

sek69

I doubt we'll see HHH as a heel again to be honest

Really? I see him as being very similar to Ric Flair in this regard, someone who is a lot more comfortable as a heel and will eventually want to turn for that reason even though he has probably built up enough respect by this point that it will be difficult to get the fans to vociferously boo him. This gels with Dave Meltzer's reports several weeks ago that Hunter wants to turn heel after his comeback program with Randy Orton.

HHH needs heel fodder but didn't think top babyface star should have credible heel fodder.

I don't buy that HHH believes that. I think that the lack of credible heels on Raw is more indicative that his DX nostalgia inspired babyface run was always supposed to be fairly short lived and that he didn't want anyone gaining traction as a top heel in the meantime. That's why I believe Edge was jobbed out when he left Raw for Smackdown - he didn't want the long term Smackdown heel champion to be credible, because that's the role he was planning to take on Raw. He doesn't need credible heel fodder because he isn't staying face long. Booker and Orton are going to be squashed to guarantee that he's the only credible heel in the promotion.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't buy that HHH believes that. I think that the lack of credible heels on Raw is more indicative that his DX nostalgia inspired babyface run was always supposed to be fairly short lived and that he didn't want anyone gaining traction as a top heel in the meantime. That's why I believe Edge was jobbed out when he left Raw for Smackdown - he didn't want the long term Smackdown heel champion to be credible, because that's the role he was planning to take on Raw. He doesn't need credible heel fodder because he isn't staying face long. Booker and Orton are going to be squashed to guarantee that he's the only credible heel in the promotion.

Since Mania was supposed to be Cena v HHH I assume that sets up good guess as to how long the DX babyface run was supposed to be. And both me and Booker are making the same assumptions you make in this paragraph. Another reason to think that Dan Wahlers says lots of stupid stuff but the burial comment wasn't an example of it.

I wish I had the definitive answer for you. I’ve been

e-mailed by a lot of people over the last 48 hours

wanting to know why I think the ratings for Raw

dropped so sharply.

This boggles my mind. Who E-Mails Dan Wahlers looking for his insight on this? What kind of person turns to Dan Wahlers for intelligent wrestling analysis on a bad WWE rating? I can't wrap my head around this.

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one who actually misses the days of guys like Hyatte and Keith? Yeah, they were biased, but at least they were their own biases. All the new reviewers these days always sound like they're either trying to imitate someone else's style, or writing specifically to impress other people.

What does Dave have against Backlund, anyway? Is it some kind of "he wasn't as good as Bruno" crap?

I think it's partly that Backlund is an acquired taste. Dave's been pretty consistent in his general dislike of the vanilla babyface and Bob was pretty much the archetype of that.

Also there was a weird comment in the Gotch obit on how Backlund giving up weight training for cardio at Gotch's suggestion "ruined his career" since he was a lot leaner and no longer had the same look. I thought turning down Vince's suggestion to turn heel was what ruined his career if anything, but what do I know. It's almost like Dave held some sort of weird weightlifter grudge or something.

I don't think Meltzer hates Bob Backlund. He doesn't give him as much credit as he deserves in some cases, but I don't think it's an intentional snubbing.

Some people have a tendency to judge his entire career based on his 1983 year and Hulkamania following it, so there's this perception that fans always hated him. Fans weren't crazy about him by that time, but he was very over and drew tons of MSG sellouts from 1978-1982.

Yeah, they were biased, but at least they were their own biases.

I don't know about their own. Keith was notorious for stealing other peoples stuff. Maybe completely misunderstanding it and misusing but it wasn't his own.

He's also a guy who was known to go back and edit old pieces to reflect more modern conventional wisdom.

Well, that's true. Okay, I was narrowing it down too far: let's say Keith and Hyatte and Scaia and CRZ and the whole Scoops crew. They at least had real definable styles and personalities. All the ones running around today seem like young whippersnappers who either ape an older guy's writing or have no discernable personality whatsoever.

So what's the deal with Alan Wojojojojojojojojojick getting the bannoration from the Impact Zone? It seems odd that A. People take laptops to wrestling shows and B. TNA would feel the need to make a rule against it. His final tapings report was more maudlin than the final episode of a sitcom that's gone several seasons past its prime.

Wojcik always insisted on using his laptop for reporting, even at indy shows. Not sure why, the Larry Goodmans of the world got by just fine with pen-n-paper, but that's how he did it. Example #8723 of TNA being assholes to the fans for no real reason. Especially since Alan, well, was their single most enthusiastic rimjobber; he'd cheer and defend the product no matter what, acted as an unpaid employee, did interviews with the wrestlers, syndicated his reports all over the net, and they just arbitrarily decided "something must be done, we've got to stop him!".

• 3 weeks later...

Dan Wahlers is ANGRY!!!!

This column is completely hilarious as Young Master Dan apparently is just now aware of what anyone with a functioning frontal lobe knew roughly five minutes after WWE initially announced its Wellness Policy.

The smoking gun is a report from Sports Illustrated

with a lengthy list of current and former WWE

wrestlers that purchased steroids, growth hormones,

and other illegal drugs through Internet doctors as

recently as February 2007. Let me do the math for you

on that one. That would be a full year AFTER WWE’s

so-called health and wellness policy went into effect.

The policy that firmly states that drug purchases

through Internet doctors will not be allowed. Folks,

someone has been lying to you for quite a while now,

and here’s a hint. It’s not Sports Illustrated, and

other members the "biased, sensationalistic" media.

OMGWTFBBQ~! A wrestling company full of carnies has been lying to you! The policy was all a sham!.

Jesus Christ, am I just that jaded or does it seem like Wahlers needs water wings and a helmet to eat soup?

Ladies and gentlemen, the facts speak for themselves,

and the facts say that Ken Anderson a.k.a. Mr. Kennedy

is unadulterated liar…..LIAR!

Nevermind, it's definitely the latter.