Ridiculous quotes from WO.com columnists

sek69

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Supposing it is Jim Cornette, why would Dixie Carter and the rest of her management heed the advice in his anonymous letter when they don't even listen to his criticism when he bluntly tells it to their faces in their booking meetings. It's really a waste of his time, unless he needs to vent to maintain his sanity and stop himself from going all Boris Alexiev on Russo the next time they meet.

Supposing it is Jim Cornette, why would Dixie Carter and the rest of her management heed the advice in his anonymous letter when they don't even listen to his criticism when he bluntly tells it to their faces in their booking meetings. It's really a waste of his time, unless he needs to vent to maintain his sanity and stop himself from going all Boris Alexiev on Russo the next time they meet.

I'm really hoping it's not Cornette, because I'd be sad to find out one of my childhood favorites has been reduced to writing anonymous letters on the interweb.

However, reading that again with the image of him gesturing wildly with a tennis racket makes it more entertaining.

I don't think Meltzer hates Bob Backlund.

It depends on how you define "hate".

At least when I was dealing regularly with Dave, and the years in the WON up to that point, Dave really, really, really, really, really didn't like anything about Bob other than the standard things Dave marked for back then:

1. amatuer background ("though not as good as Brisco's")

2. he was "strong"

3. he had a "good body" for a Champion

Even those tended to be knee capped.

I wouldn't say that he hated Bob as much as he hated Hogan. But he really didn't like him at all, on just about every level.

John

Guest The Unholy Dragon

Well, that's true. Okay, I was narrowing it down too far: let's say Keith and Hyatte and Scaia and CRZ and the whole Scoops crew. They at least had real definable styles and personalities. All the ones running around today seem like young whippersnappers who either ape an older guy's writing or have no discernable personality whatsoever.

I don't read WO, so I can't speak on those, but I find a lot of the 411mania group to be pretty good. JD Dunn and Mike Campbell stand out to me, though I like Zieglar and Garoon as well.

Though the new indy reviewer is fucking awful.

http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/video_re...in-In-Light.htm

I just read his stuff and want to hurt him...anyone else feel the same or is it just me?

Guest The Unholy Dragon

A few weeks back on the 411 Podcast, the subject of JD Dunn came up and Larry Csonka summed it up best "He picked up a lot of Scott Keith's old stuff and does it a lot better." (stuff meaning recapping RAW, ECW, and SD, as well as video reviews).

Well, presuming you are in fact the same Mike Campbell who writes at 411, it was actually you who got me interested in Puro and helped me recognize storytelling in wrestling.

So yeah, I'd put you on a top list of reviewers.

And Dunn is great. Does a really good job reviewing a variety of material. Helps that I tend to agree with many of his ratings.

A few weeks back on the 411 Podcast, the subject of JD Dunn came up and Larry Csonka summed it up best "He picked up a lot of Scott Keith's old stuff and does it a lot better." (stuff meaning recapping RAW, ECW, and SD, as well as video reviews).

Well, presuming you are in fact the same Mike Campbell who writes at 411, it was actually you who got me interested in Puro and helped me recognize storytelling in wrestling.

So yeah, I'd put you on a top list of reviewers.

And Dunn is great. Does a really good job reviewing a variety of material. Helps that I tend to agree with many of his ratings.

Dunn and Campbell are two of the guys that I go out of my way to read. They generally find a lot of the same things funny, annoying, thrilling, and/or tedious that I do. Even when I wildly disagree with their opinions, those opinions are almost always clearly explained, well-written, defensible, and understandable.

I don't go out of my way to read anyone at WO any more.

Guest The Unholy Dragon

As I said, I stick by them, Ziegler and Garoon on 411. Csonka is hit or miss, but he does so damn much on the site I can understand why.

Honestly, I think in the long run, 411's new talent pool has managed to eclipse those they lost in the InsidePulse split imo.

That said, I miss Peter Kent. There was just something about Violent Panda reviews...

Wait what who still reads 411/insidepulse/whatever?

Insidepulse gets over 750,000 hits a month. A lot of those are probably for the reality TV section, though.

Well, how many of them are unique visitors? I don't think its hard to believe that people still go there, I just think that its hard to believe that its 2007 and people still find the wrestling column to be a viable way to spend time. I remember in 1997 really getting into reading people's columns and wanting to write my own and have people read them and gush over my opinions, but once you realize that message boards are essentially the same thing without the hubris of "I AM COLUMNIST" it becomes null and void.

I haven't read a pro-wrestling column in fucking years and don't know many people that still do. I really think people of worth should just stick to conversing with other people and leave the internet columnist stuff to Phantom Lord-type dudes. But thats just me.

I don't know if the popularity of sites like 411/Inside Pulse etc. has much to do with strictly columns. I'm sure there are popular columns, but since 2003 when I started on 411, I only go out of my way to read a scant few of them. Most of the traffic is generated by the news, TV recaps, and tape reviews, I'd guess. I know when I stopped watching WWE in 2003 when I was in college, I kept up with all the goings on in the WWE by reading the RAW and SD results every week. But overall, it's mostly the news that I'd guess brings the traffic. Poor and cheap folks like myself can get all of the news from the WON, Torch, PWI, etc. without having to pay for it.

Wait what who still reads 411/insidepulse/whatever?

Insidepulse gets over 750,000 hits a month. A lot of those are probably for the reality TV section, though.

Well, how many of them are unique visitors? I don't think its hard to believe that people still go there, I just think that its hard to believe that its 2007 and people still find the wrestling column to be a viable way to spend time. I remember in 1997 really getting into reading people's columns and wanting to write my own and have people read them and gush over my opinions, but once you realize that message boards are essentially the same thing without the hubris of "I AM COLUMNIST" it becomes null and void.

I haven't read a pro-wrestling column in fucking years and don't know many people that still do. I really think people of worth should just stick to conversing with other people and leave the internet columnist stuff to Phantom Lord-type dudes. But thats just me.

I looked it up and I had it wrong. It's actually 750,000 unique visitors per month.

There is definitely a difference between writing a column and discussing the same subject on the internet. Columns give the writer the freedom to go more in-depth on a particular subject. Since the death of Smarkschoice, I haven't seen too many posts on any wrestling boards that go longer than a short paragraph or two. Longer posts usually get dismissed with some kind of sarcastic "dr,tl" type of crack. I tend to enjoy discussing on boards just as much as writing a column, but cranking out a long column and getting feedback that leads to more in-depth discussion on a subject that interests me can be very satisfying.

Outside of FLEA, Eric S. and Hyatte, I can't think of too many internet wrestling columnists who seem to be operating under the grip of hubris, and with Eric it is 90 per cent an act anyway (Hyatte is legitimately a crazed egomaniac). Also: All three of those guys are hilarious, and all three of them can really write, as well. In my experience, the insidepulse crew and guys like Campbell, Czonka, and Dunn are all genuinely good guys: Humble, open to discussion of contrary opinions, and willing to learn from others. On the other hand, there are a TON of posters on internet boards who think that they hold the full monopoly on knowledge of and correct opinions on their particular corners of the pro wrestling and MMA worlds. The "fuiud" philosophy that's so common out there these days hardly leads to much back-and-forth on a given subject.

There's definitely room for both columns and discussion boards. What you're saying there actually comes across kind of like sour grapes, Spunk.

What you're saying there actually comes across kind of like sour grapes, Spunk.

Eh, I just think they are really lame, is all. For the same reasons I don't like reading MMA opinion articles.

What you're saying there actually comes across kind of like sour grapes, Spunk.

Eh, I just think they are really lame, is all. For the same reasons I don't like reading MMA opinion articles.

I agree with you: Sadly, the vast majority of pro wrestling and MMA columns these days are pretty terrible. There are still a few good writers out there, though.

Outside of FLEA, Eric S. and Hyatte, I can't think of too many internet wrestling columnists who seem to be operating under the grip of hubris, and with Eric it is 90 per cent an act anyway (Hyatte is legitimately a crazed egomaniac).

My fiancee almost bought me a pin she saw in Hot Topic that said "I'm cooler on the internet." I hope Gordi is exaggerating a bit about Hyatte being a crazed egomanic, a la Skeith. Because that's just sad.

A wise man once said "The internet is serious business." :lol: