Pro Wrestling Only

Ridiculous quotes from WO.com columnists

sek69

What you're saying there actually comes across kind of like sour grapes, Spunk.

Eh, I just think they are really lame, is all. For the same reasons I don't like reading MMA opinion articles.

I agree with you: Sadly, the vast majority of pro wrestling and MMA columns these days are pretty terrible. There are still a few good writers out there, though.

Like, if people really had something interesting to say most of the time, I wouldn't mind. But it seems like most of this shit should just be kept to livejournal.com. When Phantom Lord is the standard, you know the world is fucked.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Former WWE writer Pete Doyle comments on Raw championship picture

With the great talents that now surround the world title and main events, Cena’s lack of talent is certainly exposed and it makes people realize that when HBK and Triple were out to injuries and Orton and Kennedy had their issues over time, that Cena was basically the best of the worst. I have said this before and will always believe that.

You offer the people either Grade C or Grade B, they’ll take Grade B, but right now, with Cena gone, we’re looking at Grade A.

You can only shove a guy down the throat of the people once and it will work and that was Hulk Hogan. Austin and Rock, well they were accidents. The people were supposed to hate both of them and WWE tried everything to make that happen, but the fans were starved for the edgy and cool assholes that could exhibit the acts of violence against various authority figures. It’s a new age and it’s time for Cena to go back to the drawing board on his character if he wants to survive in this business. One word – Heel. Sounds silly, but he’d be more over as a heel, given time.

Kennedy should be the loner out of all of them and not want to align with either side of the fence. His mic skills and ring ability has him following in the footsteps of Austin and Rock (which I have said before). Creative needs to let him have more control over the character.

Orton is the heel who could have a stable of guys behind him, leading the pack with Ric Flair turning heel manager/part time wrestler of the new Four Horsemen. Flair and Orton could then groom other guys as members of the group, establishing them as serious performers. Prime subjects for the group would be Cody Rhodes and D.H. Smith, both along with Orton, the sons of legendary wrestlers. (We’ll leave David Flair out of the equation).

Scott Hall? Yes, if he’s clean and fit it might work and would be a coupe for WWE’s efforts of stunting TNA’s growth.

It’s a new age and it’s time for Cena to go back to the drawing board on his character if he wants to survive in this business. One word – Heel. Sounds silly, but he’d be more over as a heel, given time.

I swear, I will never tire of people complaining that Cena et al. don't fit in with the "new age" of wrestling, not noticing that the "new age" they're describing is 1998. Where were these people back then? "Austin's black trunks/black boots working class shtick is so 1970's. Everyone knows this bold new era of wrestling needs the Saturday morning cartoon stylings of guys like Hogan and Savage and Sting. Although I don't know why those guys are so drab these days. They need to go back to the drawing board on their characters if they wants to survive in this business. One word. Day-Glo. Sounds silly, but that's what the kids are into these days. Not sure why they changed that."

That guy was a WWE writer? Jesus.

On a certain level, I'd like to think that Doyle is actually some nouveau Smoeater, lying about his credentials but fooling Meltzer by telling him what he wants to hear so that he chooses to believe him. But I'd also like to think that Dave knows better than to fall for that.

You know, reading stuff like this, it's pretty apparent why this fellow is no longer a WWE writer. Well, either that, or his desire to have a life.

At the risk of calling the kettle black, something about the nature of his grievances makes me think having a life isn't a major priority for him.

Soon, he will share his new and original thoughts that clean finishes are preferred over DQs, that wrestling is better than talking, that there needs to be more emphasis on titles, tag teams and/or cruiserweights, that HHH gets special treatment, that it's bad business to give away big matches on free television, that the money is in the chase, that banning moves is an attempt to bury smaller guys, that everything needs to "MEAN SOMETHING", that the IC title used to be this great belt that meant something, that more precautions should be taken to ensure safety of wrestlers and that Jerry McDevitt is not a nice person. I personally can't wait.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a pretty funny (unintentionally of course) column up making the case for the return of jobbers being what wrestling needs to make new stars. There's actually a valid point to be made that dudes were made to look like a million dollars by squashing jobbers on syndicated shows, but there's no way fans today are going to accept the return of Mulkeymania.

There's a pretty funny (unintentionally of course) column up making the case for the return of jobbers being what wrestling needs to make new stars. There's actually a valid point to be made that dudes were made to look like a million dollars by squashing jobbers on syndicated shows, but there's no way fans today are going to accept the return of Mulkeymania.

Throwing a jobber squash or two into Raw/Smackdown/ECW when necessary would work just fine to build guys.

Oh wait.

Ok I'm way behind on tivo but haven't they been using jobbers pretty consistently. Masters was fed jobbers. Rodney Mack was fed jobbers. Angle was fed jobers. The Major Brothers, Deuce and domino, Shnitsky, Khali, Mark Henry, Viscera, etc all fed jobbers.

True, but keep in mind that the people writing these pieces are very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very dumb.

• 4 weeks later...

Seriously, fuck this guy. I mean, I'm sure 99.9999999% of the people buying the WCCW DVD know the dirty details, does anyone really think WWE was going to do a Heroes of World Class style "look at the destruction of a whole family as well as a promotion" take on things at this particular point in time? If anything, it's kind of admirable in a somewhat awkward way that they're trying to use this as as Say No To Drugs lesson.

I mean, what would an all-out slam job on Fritz do at this point? Kevin may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but the fact that he didn't go all Benoit is frankly one of the amazing things I've ever heard. The story is what it is, and trying to make it a cautionary tale is probably the best way they could have handled it IMO.

Maybe it's just me, but the way this guy has such a sarcastic tone over the WWE apparently trying to make the WCCW story into something....well I don't know if you'd call it "positive" , is kind if sickening. It's like he was disappointed there wasn't more gory details.

The "I don't even like to call it a style" line from HHH is likely intended to be a cheapshot at Foley.

WWE documentaries aren't about facts, they're about creating and keeping a narrative going. Anyone who counts on WWE to tell the truth about anything in something they're producing for entertainment purposes is naive.

Lying is part of wrestling.

Triple H is all over the DVD, for some reason, and takes great delight in dissing "the hard-core style...well, I don't even like to call it a style" while talking about Bruiser Brody and Abdullah The Butcher. He also says the classic lesson learned from the Von Erich story is “don’t do drugs”…I found that an ironic statement.

How is that "ironic?" Isn't HHH the one guy pretty much thought to be relatively clean? Or is that a work, too?

Or maybe the writer, like most people, doesn't grasp the meaning of the word "ironic."

Simply put, wrestlers don't consider steroids to be a "real" drug. Because if they did, that would mean that damn near 100% of the full-time workers would be considered longterm drug users. The guys who take steroids but don't drink or do recreational drugs tend to look down on those who do.

EDIT: and oh yeah, "vitamin S", now THAT's funny. Consider it stolen the next time I'm talking about the juice on any other board.