The greatest cons in wrestling history

Bix

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So Gabe Sapolsky is running a "creative seminar" on Saturday and I feel like that belongs in this thread. It's a great idea for Gabe to make some money but what kind of realistic chance does anyone going to this seminar have of actually getting a job writing/booking for a wrestling company?

CrsfrwIWgAA4xRI.jpg

This is almost as good as Quack's announcer seminar. That was $159 for like two hours of Mike Quackenbush teaching you to become a wrestling play by play guy. I'm sure all who attend both of these things will probably have a good time, but they will be no closer to becoming a wrestling announcer or a booker for an independent wrestling promotion than they were before the day started.

This maybe veers into conspiracy theory territory but bear with me here.

Vince McMahon conning the movie-going public and his own audience into believing the tagline of Beyond The Mat, "the movie Vince McMahon does not want you to see"

Well he didn't after Montreal happened. Dave was just mentioning that Vince was fully cooperating with the production until shit hit the fan. IIRC he tried to block the movie from getting released as well.

Which directly leads me into why I believe this. Barry Blaustein shot the Terry Funk stuff and ECW stuff in 1997, and during this time he was hounding WWE into letting him shoot, maybe talking to WCW too. Vince knows about the Canadian crew following Bret around, pays it no mind until Montreal or sometime after. He remember suddenly that Blaustein was sniffing around, and lets him in. Once the film comes out, he kayfabes resentment towards how the film portrayed him. If the media makes a big deal of it, which they did that won't be repeated for Wrestling With Shadows which wound up getting no press, no theatrical release and quietly premieres on A&E which was really best known for the Biography show.

• 1 month later...

Which directly leads me into why I believe this. Barry Blaustein shot the Terry Funk stuff and ECW stuff in 1997, and during this time he was hounding WWE into letting him shoot, maybe talking to WCW too. Vince knows about the Canadian crew following Bret around, pays it no mind until Montreal or sometime after. He remember suddenly that Blaustein was sniffing around, and lets him in. Once the film comes out, he kayfabes resentment towards how the film portrayed him. If the media makes a big deal of it, which they did that won't be repeated for Wrestling With Shadows which wound up getting no press, no theatrical release and quietly premieres on A&E which was really best known for the Biography show.

Blaustein was already filming with the WWF in 1997 though. I posted the Nine Legends Expansion Pack trailer here the other day and have since checked it out: both Blaustein of Beyond the Mat and Paul Jay of Wrestling with Shadows are on it. In it Blaustein says he was planning Beyond the Mat from 1994. Also worth noting Beyond the Mat came out AFTER Wrestling with Shadows, which certainly wasn't quietly launched: it was on mainstream TV channels across the world. That kind of blows your theory to hell. In the Nine Legends Expansion Pack (such a shit gimmicky title for what is basically an audio commentary track, albeit a good one) Paul Jay goes into deep detail about the problems between he and Vince after Montreal and how WCW got involved in the picture.

I think what prevents TNA from qualifying as one of the great cons in wrestling history is that it never made money for Dixie. She does deserve credit for keeping this thing going long past the point where she should have, and for somehow escaping the legal system unscathed in this latest round, but she also lost $70 million of her inheritance trying to prove she's a wrestling promoter. Great con for the people she keeps employing and who keep benefiting from it, but not so great for her.

• 2 months later...

There's a reviewer at 411 who just said he thinks Bryan was supposed to get the belt all along at WM 30 and the RR 2014 was just a swerve to get Batista over as a heel. Dave has been mentioning lately that the company has been trying to get over the idea that they always intended to push Bryan from the start when it's been said time after time that it was not the plan (including on their own programming) People are still believing now and in probably 10 yrs or so it will be fact

What intrigues me would be to know the exact day Vince changed his mind. I'm guessing the day after the Rumble, but is it possible they foresaw the massive dump the crowd and all fans would take on that show a week earlier and thought "Let's go ahead and not have Bryan entered and have Batista go over and this will really, really get the people behind Bryan"?

We can all agree they didn't want Bryan in that spot in November or December, but by February, it was pretty clear they were heading in that direction IIRC, so, I'm just curious when the change happened.

There's a reviewer at 411 who just said he thinks Bryan was supposed to get the belt all along at WM 30 and the RR 2014 was just a swerve to get Batista over as a heel. Dave has been mentioning lately that the company has been trying to get over the idea that they always intended to push Bryan from the start when it's been said time after time that it was not the plan (including on their own programming) People are still believing now and in probably 10 yrs or so it will be fact

Bryan definitely would have had the title at some point in 2014 even if it wasn't in the plans at WM 30 originally. I would say that the second Punk left, the decision was made for Bryan to get the belt, because that next week they shifted all focus to him and reignited the feud with HHH that had been phased out in November or so. It seems pretty clear that the specific plans became clear almost immediately after Punk walked out.

A lot of happy accidents happened right at the same time:

Punk's walk out

WWE's pettiness to stick it to Punk and replace him with the other big indie guy and give him what they never gave Punk

Batista's disastrous return

Orton's DOA title reign

That Michigan football game doing the Yes chants

but that decision was clearly made right after the Rumble. People always talk about the terrible reaction to Batista's win, but people seem to forget that the Orton/Cena match that night was met with CRICKETS. Fans did not give a single fuck about Orton as champion and didn't even pop for all the finisher spam and kick outs. It was the same when Orton won the TLC match in the first place to win the belts.

Remember they tried to flip the script for a few weeks and get the people to cheer Batista so I don't think it was a decision made that quickly after the Rumble.

Pretty sure Dave said that when Batista was booed at Elimination Chamber against Del Rio they knew they had to change plans.

But to think that wwe planned this elaborate work from the beginning and had it planned all along is pretty ridiculous IMO

Remember they tried to flip the script for a few weeks and get the people to cheer Batista so I don't think it was a decision made that quickly after the Rumble.

Pretty sure Dave said that when Batista was booed at Elimination Chamber against Del Rio they knew they had to change plans.

But to think that wwe planned this elaborate work from the beginning and had it planned all along is pretty ridiculous IMO

It was very obvious at the end of Elimination Chamber that they were going with Bryan so that can't be it.

I'm with DMJ and Stro, the day after the Rumble when Punk walked out. I still get a chuckle out of the fact that they apparently wanted Bryan/Sheamus for WrestleMania XXX, because it sure seems like they had some kind of hard on for that match.

- Scheduled for 'Mania XXVII, but moved to pre show and then turned into a Battle Royal

- The 18 second title change at 'Mania XXVIII

- The plan for 'Mania XXX before deciding to go all the way with Bryan

- The night after 'Mania XXXI is when Sheamus came back and turned heel by attacking Bryan, and more than likely would have gone to an IC Title program if Bryan hadn't been hurt again.

It was at some point between the PPVs that things shifted. After the Rumble they still tried to babyface Batista a couple more times (even doing the Cena "doesn't matter if you cheer me or boo me" non turn) and then finally realised it wouldn't work. It certainly wasn't right after the Rumble, and at that point you could tell they were indeed moving Bryan down into a Sheamus feud.

They are so lucky they stumbled into it in the end, because it was almost the worst missed conclusion to a story ever.